Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants/Flowers on some soil ... on the roof.

Options
  • 22-02-2019 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Designing in my mind and on the paper a small extension at the back of the house,kitchen attached.
    Not sure about budget or time,more than likely as DIY .

As it will cut off a good view of the back garden,i was thinking to use some soil / compost and get grass or flowers or some small rocks/gravel and alpine plants.

Looking at the structural things,it has 6m length on maybe 1m wide.
    Probable,10-20cm deep to allow soil and roots to develop or to get a good grip to winds or rain.
    Built on timber structure and then use some sort of membrane for water proof.

Found online locally some sort of piping that allows water to flow at the root or near enough to the plant so to avoid wastage.

Anyone being there, done it,any help,hints,thanks ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A green roof will need to be engineered to take something like 100kg/m2 more load than a conventional roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm sure you have searched online but really all the information you need is out there. I did all this research myself at one stage and you can approach it from a high tech or a very low tech angle. Either way you need the structure to support it. If you use sedums and sempervivums you only need minimum depth of soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Yes,was same worried about the structure supporting the load of the soil.
    Was thinking / hoping to use alpine plants that needs a lower dept of the roots ...

hmmm,back to dreaming board.

Thanks

Advertisement