Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pint in Donnybrook ?

Options
  • 22-02-2019 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭

Long time since I was in Donnybrook but recently ended up there and while I was there midweek said I’d have a few pints .
    Couldn’t believe Kielys was closed although I recall something on the radio . Madigan’s another once iconic pub also closed and for sale . What was longs is now Arthur maynes I think which was open but a characterless enough spot and after 2 there ended up in mccloskeys for 2 . At about 7 I think there was about 8 people in a bar that could hold 200.
    I know there’s little money-jobs in rural Ireland but in a very fashionable part of Dublin what’s happened .
    Lack of disposable income ? Hardly in Donnybrook ?
    Health conscious? Drugs ?? Breakdown of interacting socially ?

Had some good evenings having a few pints in Donnybrook over the years but a very drab low option experience these days .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

hurler32 wrote: »
    Long time since I was in Donnybrook but recently ended up there and while I was there midweek said I’d have a few pints .
    Couldn’t believe Kielys was closed although I recall something on the radio . Madigan’s another once iconic pub also closed and for sale . What was longs is now Arthur maynes I think which was open but a characterless enough spot and after 2 there ended up in mccloskeys for 2 . At about 7 I think there was about 8 people in a bar that could hold 200.
    I know there’s little money-jobs in rural Ireland but in a very fashionable part of Dublin what’s happened .
    Lack of disposable income ? Hardly in Donnybrook ?
    Health conscious? Drugs ?? Breakdown of interacting socially ?

Had some good evenings having a few pints in Donnybrook over the years but a very drab low option experience these days .

Since Kielys closed The Rock is the place to go for a few sticks of Heino-mite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You should have just gone up to Ranelagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Donnybrook is not in itself lacking anything deserving of a decent bar but the problem is that Ballsbridge and Ranelagh suck any potential business. I grew up in the area and recently moved back into it, it's a bit of a shame to not have Kielys as it offered a good service and was great for just going to relax, watch a game etc. I think it closed due to the family getting older and no kids to take over but not certain of that. Arthur Maynes I don't really like and McCloskeys is just not nice enough to justify paying five quid for my Guinness.

The Bridge in Ballsbridge and the Paddy Cullens/Mary Macs row would hoover up the footfall from RDS, the hotels there and the Aviva. Ranelagh attracts the younger people (Smyths, McSorleys, Taphouse, Devlin) but also seems to have regulars who presumably wander up from Donnybrook as well since there are some good bars there for regulars (Ashton's, Humphries and Birchalls).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Donnybrook is not in itself lacking anything deserving of a decent bar but the problem is that Ballsbridge and Ranelagh suck any potential business. I grew up in the area and recently moved back into it, it's a bit of a shame to not have Kielys as it offered a good service and was great for just going to relax, watch a game etc. I think it closed due to the family getting older and no kids to take over but not certain of that. Arthur Maynes I don't really like and McCloskeys is just not nice enough to justify paying five quid for my Guinness.

The Bridge in Ballsbridge and the Paddy Cullens/Mary Macs row would hoover up the footfall from RDS, the hotels there and the Aviva. Ranelagh attracts the younger people (Smyths, McSorleys, Taphouse, Devlin) but also seems to have regulars who presumably wander up from Donnybrook as well since there are some good bars there for regulars (Ashton's, Humphries and Birchalls).

Is there any such thing as working class regulars left in Donnybrook ?
    Remember longs having a lot of Donnybrook bus staff and RTÉ staff . Kielys used have a lot of AIB staff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Is there any such thing as working class regulars left in Donnybrook ?
    Remember Longs ...

The flats in Beechill. But probably not enough people to sustain a pub for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The Donnybrook Gastropub has opened, as of last weekend, at the old O'Connell's (former Madigan's I think); http://thedonnybrookgastropub.ie/

Its menu is available on the website; as expected it has gone for the premium priced food. I note there's no veggie options - it just appears to be steak/burgers and seafood. Clearly it's not trying to be all things to all people, certainly not initially, so will be interesting to see how it does. For me, the food is a bit expensive so the atmosphere and accommodation for grabbing drinks only would need to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The Donnybrook Gastropub has opened, as of last weekend, at the old O'Connell's (former Madigan's I think); http://thedonnybrookgastropub.ie/

Its menu is available on the website; as expected it has gone for the premium priced food. I note there's no veggie options - it just appears to be steak/burgers and seafood. Clearly it's not trying to be all things to all people, certainly not initially, so will be interesting to see how it does. For me, the food is a bit expensive so the atmosphere and accommodation for grabbing drinks only would need to be good.

I really thought this sounded horrible when I saw the name but then I looked at the menus. Oh holy Christ; are we back in 2006 where people throw ingredients together, cite them on the menu and think that’s it. What on Earth is Mexican chorizo and why would you pair it with Parmesan. Give this site to the Old Spot or copy their menu. This sounds horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Marcusm wrote: »
    I really thought this sounded horrible when I saw the name but then I looked at the menus. Oh holy Christ; are we back in 2006 where people throw ingredients together, cite them on the menu and think that’s it. What on Earth is Mexican chorizo and why would you pair it with Parmesan. Give this site to the Old Spot or copy their menu. This sounds horrendous.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/dunne-adds-o-connell-s-in-donnybrook-to-his-stable-of-restaurants-1.3534956

Oliver Dunne is apparently behind it.
    Will be interesting to see what the reviews are like.

Is Marcos still open near it in the old Courtyard?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Marcusm wrote: »

Hmm, let's hope Ross O'Carroll Kelly visits...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

donaghs wrote: »
    The flats in Beechill. But probably not enough people to sustain a pub for themselves.

Alot of us Beechill folk used to enjoy longs, had a great local feel, Kielys bar was good also up to 5 years ago, died after that.

Now noone goes near Arthur Maynes, Mccluskeys for an older crowd.

Majority go to The Hampton Hotel (Old sachs) or Farmer browes (old O'Sheas in clonskeagh)

other than that ballsbridge has life in it as others mentioned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement