Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fused spur , Tap off attic

Options
  • 22-02-2019 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I'm aware of the regs re electrical work. I'm just curious to know. Got attic floored recent but a battery operated light was put in not mains wired.

I see a number of cables now in sight that i didn't notice before.

One has s nick in the outer insulation which I discovered after job. No wire exposed ,I have elec tape around it.

As a matter if interest:

This is a twin and earth 1.5 lighting cable.

If this was cut at the point that it was " nicked" and was wired into an appropriate fused spur , can a feed be safely taken the spur to wire a light switch and bulb , safely. This would remedy the nick in the cable and have a proper light and switch in attic.

Only hypothetical, a qualified spark would be necessary, I'm curious.
    Thanks

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If its a lighting circuit already there would be no need to use a fused spur, as it would already be protected by the correct rated MCB (10A) in the board. Whoever does the work would need to identify/verify if this cable is a lighting circuit, they could just connect a switch into this cable, provided there is enough slack, then run some 1.5 T&E up to the light fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

If its a lighting circuit already there would be no need to use a fused spur, as it would already be protected by the correct rated MCB (10A) in the board. Whoever does the work would need to identify/verify if this cable is a lighting circuit, they could just connect a switch into this cable, provided there is enough slack, then run some 1.5 T&E up to the light fitting.

Thank you, if its a 1.5 T@E , is it not a lighting circuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Thank you, if its a 1.5 T@E , is it not a lighting circuit?

More than likely is a lighting circuit, but could be lots of other things too, supply to boiler etc... It should be fairly easy to find a lighting circuit in an attic.

Advertisement