Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(URGENT NEED HELP) No lease

Options
  • 20-09-2018 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi all. I was wondering is the landlord allowed not to give you a lease even though you are still living in the same property? My landlord hasn't renewed the lease since 2016 and in 2016 she sent me a letter saying she wants her house for 2017. Was she allowed not to give me a lease for this period?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ross2010

She doesn't have to give you a lease. You are still protected by the law but you are effectively month to month rather than fixed term. As it stands your landlord could issue you with a notice to terminate the tenancy for reasons like she wants to sell or use property for family or renovate. She still must give you the notice in writing and give you the correct notice period per law based on the duration of how long you have lived there. If you were on a fixed term lease she would need to wait until the end of your lease before she could issue the notice, as it stands she can issue notice any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭_brendand_

When did you move in? You have Part 4 tenancy rights to they need to give you the appropriate notice period and have a valid reason to require the property back.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭ninjarambohd

Hi eveyone and good morning. I am having a problem with my landlord again.

I have not had a lease for this house since 2016. Now my wife is trying to get the social welfare rent supplement under her name as due to some problems that I had with the landlord (him not filling out the review form in time) my one got terminated.

Now the rent supplement section requires a lease in order to process the new form. That's OK on my part, but, the landlord is refusing to give me a lease for the next 6 months that I have left in this house. He intends to sell the house so he gave me a notice of termination and I am to leave the house in August.

Is this possible? Can he not provide me a lease so I can give a copy to the social welfare to get this rent supplement back up and running because I only have 6 months in this house and he has served me a notice of termination?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

when you receive notice your first priorty should be to secure new accomodation a lease would tie you to that letting while on notice i dont think it makes sence have you told social welfare you are on notice?

when you receive notice your first priorty should be to secure new accomodation a lease would tie you to that letting while on notice i dont think it makes sence have you told social welfare you are on notice?

Oh I'm defo looking for a new accommodation since day 1 but can't find any at all. I keep emailing the person dealing with the new accommodation but never receive a response.

I spoke to the social welfare they said I should send them the notice of termination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did you have a lease in 2016 or do you mean you never had one at all?

The old one, if there was one, is the current one as you are now there under Part IV rules

L1011 wrote: »
    Did you have a lease in 2016 or do you mean you never had one at all?

The old one, if there was one, is the current one as you are now there under Part IV rules

No, I have had a lease up until 2016 and from 2016 on wards he didn't sign one with me no matter what I did.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Plenty of renters/tenants have no lease, particularly after the initial lease ends.

You now have a part 4 tenancy, this will not be something new to social welfare.

Graham wrote: »
    Plenty of renters/tenants have no lease, particularly after the initial lease ends.

You now have a part 4 tenancy, this will not be something new to social welfare.

Thank you. What about the fact that now my LL wants to give me a 14 day notice of termination because the rent supplement section has yet to make a payment to him until I give them the required documents? What options do I have here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thank you. What about the fact that now my LL wants to give me a 14 day notice of termination because the rent supplement section has yet to make a payment to him until I give them the required documents? What options do I have here?

PTRB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

PTRB.

It's rtb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

From the landlords point of view it is you that has not paid your rent. the welfare office have no interaction with the landlord. in fact if your landlord called them they would tell him nothing

From the landlords point of view it is you that has not paid your rent. the welfare office have no interaction with the landlord. in fact if your landlord called them they would tell him nothing

Thank you. But can he kick me out even though he knows that the social welfare rent supplement form is in process?

To be blunt the rent has to be paid or the next notice will be to terminate the tenancy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You still have an obligation to pay the rent- irrespective of where you're getting the money to pay the rent from.
    It is none of the landlord's business how you're paying the rent- just that you're paying the rent.
    If your rent is late- standard practice is to immediately issue a 14 days notice of arrears.
    You need to ensure that your social welfare officer is aware that you have been issued with notice or arrears, and any delays in processing your claim may result in you loosing your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Of course he can. He's not getting rent. Not his problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Thank you. But can he kick me out even though he knows that the social welfare rent supplement form is in process?

Yes he can. It doesnt matter if its in process. Right now if rent is due and you have been paid, he can start the ball rolling in eviction.

Its like you using the not paying for car insurance when the renewal is due but sure “its in process”

I sent in the form about a month ago and only got a response now stating I need to give in additional documents. If the social approves the forms and all will they pay the rent from the date of my application?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Rent hasnt been paid nothing else matters to the landlord. The details how or why doesnt matter to the Landlord

I sent in the form about a month ago and only got a response now stating I need to give in additional documents. If the social approves the forms and all will they pay the rent from the date of my application?

Honestly- you *need* to clarify things like this with DSP- you are already in rent arrears- it is not the case that you can necessarily pay a lumpsum at some future point in time- rent is due on a periodic basis, typically monthly- and yours is overdue.

You need to talk to welfare and clarify exactly what is happening- and ensure they are aware that you have already been served with a notice of termination- based on the fact that you are in rent arrears.

You NEED to get on top of this.

Your notice of termination ends- if you clear any arrears within the 14 days of the notice- if not- the landlord has a valid reason to terminate your residency- on the basis that you are in rent arrears (the actual process is a bit convoluted- and indeed- could take longer than until next August- so it may be moot one way or the other).

Either way- you need to sort your rent arrears- or else the landlord has a valid reason to terminate your tenancy- without the need for a notice period.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Either way- you need to sort your rent arrears- or else the landlord has a valid reason to terminate your tenancy- without the need for a notice period.

Termination for rent arrears requires 28 days notice. O/P you should complain to the WRC under equality grounds if the non-payment on your part was caused by the landlord being slow to process the form.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Termination for rent arrears requires 28 days notice. O/P you should complain to the WRC under equality grounds if the non-payment on your part was caused by the landlord being slow to process the form.

He has said DSP came back to him after a protracted period seeking additional documentation. I honestly imagine this one is on DSP- not the landlord. DSP move at a glacial pace- unless there is some implication of their slowness- and the OP needs to spell out to consequences of their slowness- and their coming back to him looking for further documentation that they really should have checked at the outset.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

He has said DSP came back to him after a protracted period seeking additional documentation. I honestly imagine this one is on DSP- not the landlord. DSP move at a glacial pace- unless there is some implication of their slowness- and the OP needs to spell out to consequences of their slowness- and their coming back to him looking for further documentation that they really should have checked at the outset.

The o/p already said the landlord was slow in filling in a form. No need for imagination.

I did forget to mention earlier that, he owes me money himself as well. He owes me around 2.7K or so, which the RTB has instructed him to pay within 28 days. But, he is refusing to pay that money unless I pay him the rent. Is this right? Can he do this?

Mod Note

Sorry OP, with this and your other recent threads it is clear you need to seek qualified and specific legal advice.

Please engage a solicitor or talk to FLAC

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement