Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I upgrade?

Options
  • 22-02-2019 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

I built my first PC just under a year ago, with budget in mind as it was my introduction in to PC gaming and didnt want to go all out in case it wasnt for me.

As such I went with a 1050ti and 8gb of RAM. I now almost exclusively game on my PC and whilst my set up is fine on the whole and lets me get 60fps on most games I play at 1080p. I have noticed that some games are having issues. Just Cause 3 is far from a new game and yet it warns me at the outset that my system memory is low for it and it has crashed on me a few times. As a result I am nervous to spend money on new games in case they will either not work at all, or will look like PS2 games!

I only have 2 slots for RAM so thats why I am wondering about upgrading, it means the 8gb I have wouldnt be able to be used as they would have to make way for the new RAM.

As for the GPU, I am considering a 2060. Maybe there would be some other recommendations? I would go for a cheaper card but would want to be sure it is fairly future proof.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

sugarman wrote: »
    What processor and motherboard do you have? There could be a bottleneck with a 2060 so might not be worth it.

I have a Ryzen 1500x and ASRock AB350M. PCPartpicker said they would be compatible but I wouldn't be too up on what might cause bottlenecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GTX 1660Ti is rumoured to come out this month, wait another week to see if it offers RTX 2060 performance.

Just Cause 3 is a bad PC port so I wouldn't think too much on it.

Upgrading to 16Gb RAM would be a minor inconvenience, but you should be able to find a buyer for your old RAM. CEX also do trade-ins on DDR4 (though they're not the best).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    GTX 1660Ti is rumoured to come out this month, wait another week to see if it offers RTX 2060 performance.

Just Cause 3 is a bad PC port so I wouldn't think too much on it.

Upgrading to 16Gb RAM would be a minor inconvenience, but you should be able to find a buyer for your old RAM. CEX also do trade-ins on DDR4 (though they're not the best).

Oh I didnt think the 1660TI was so close. I wasn't sure if Just Cause 3 was the issue. The Witcher 3 runs perfectly for me and I assumed that would be a more demanding game? Didn't know CEX did trade in on RAM, I might take that option as at least it would offset some of the cost of the new RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Also, RX Vega 56 prices are dropping in anticipation of 1660 Ti

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-vega-56

Plus getting Vega means you get Resi 2, DMC5 & The Division 2 for free.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Also, RX Vega 56 prices are dropping in anticipation of 1660 Ti

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-vega-56

Plus getting Vega means you get Resi 2, DMC5 & The Division 2 for free.

Resi 2 is actually a game I am looking at currently so that could be a good deal. What would RX Vega 56 be comparable to on Nvidia terms?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Resi 2 is actually a game I am looking at currently so that could be a good deal. What would RX Vega 56 be comparable to on Nvidia terms?

GTX1070/1070ti, prefer it over the similar 2060 as it has more vram.

The 1050Ti isn't that powerful but any actual crashes would be due to either the game itself, or a hardware fault somewhere.

Probably just Just Cause 3 to blame. 8GB ram is still a pretty standard figure among gaming PC's.

The 1050Ti isn't that powerful but any actual crashes would be due to either the game itself, or a hardware fault somewhere.

Probably just Just Cause 3 to blame. 8GB ram is still a pretty standard figure among gaming PC's.

Thankfully I have had no issues with my computer other than that. I think the only thing I can do is buy a more modern game and see how I get on.

Destiny 2 runs no problem on it at a decent frame rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

GPU and RAM Upgrade should be essential tbh, 1050ti is not really the best for higher end gaming, it would be entry level at this point. 8gb Ram is also just a little low for most games now a days, I recently had to upgrade to 32gb as my 16gb DDR4 3000Mhz was running into memory issues when having anything else open when playing Overwatch. The 2060 is a great card for the money, the 1660 might also be good but we don't know yet.

Also, welcome to the master race my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

If it helps, JC3 complained about low RAM back when I only had 8G, but ran just fine otherwise.
    JC4, well, that's a really sh*t PC port indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

If I was you I would get the Vega 56. I have one myself and it is a very good card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Vega 56 does seem to be the best bang for buck at the minute, given the recent price drops. Only thing to bear in mind is that it runs hotter and louder than the 1660 (god that's an awful name), but that may not matter to you.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Vega 56 does seem to be the best bang for buck at the minute, given the recent price drops. Only thing to bear in mind is that it runs hotter and louder than the 1660 (god that's an awful name), but that may not matter to you.

I am certainly leaning that way based on advice here. I wont be acting for about 6 weeks until I get a bit of money in, so at least then there will be a better idea about pricing on each.

I wonder will the price drop last? watched a few youtube videos on the Vega 56 last night to find out more about it and the few guys I watched werent sure if it was just a short term thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Possible. Either way, it's a "come back in six weeks" kind of thing anyway. Have a look and figure out performance so you have that sorted, then whenever you're buying check prices, and go from there.

Advertisement