Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie wanting to cycle to work

Options
  • 22-02-2019 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't cycled since I was a child basically but want to start cycling to work so just looking for advice on the type of bike and gear needed, where to buy, any general tips also.

The distance is about 10km each way and I will have to carry a laptop(which I already have a backpack for). I don't want to spend much as I may only do it for the warmer months of the year but I think I can avail of the cycle to work scheme.

The route has good cycle lanes the whole way. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

10km is very doable. Its worth investing in a decent bike and gear as you will probably find yourself getting more into it once you start. How much do you want to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

droidus wrote: »
    10km is very doable. Its worth investing in a decent bike and gear as you will probably find yourself getting more into it once you start. How much do you want to spend?

Ideally less than 300 quid for everything.(no idea if that's realistic)

Its possible, but I would say, not realistic. You will need to spend about €100 on a lock & at least some gear (gloves, hat, etc... maybe a helmet) and a bike you end up getting for €200 will not be fun to cycle and will probably not last too long without maintenance and other issues.

Id say you would need to up that to 5-600 to be honest, unless you buy secondhand, but Bike to work does take the sting out of it and bear in mind the medium long term savings you'll be making on car/public transport costs.

You'll want disc brakes & a decent frame that's not too heavy. Something along these lines:

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/ie/escape-2-disc-2019

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

droidus wrote:
    You'll want disc brakes & a decent frame that's not too heavy. Something along these lines:

Careful with lower range disc brakes. Mentioned bike has them hydraulic so ok, but don't go anywhere near cabled ones. Rim brakes with good shoes are much, much better..and lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

You should probably focus on the bike and pick up any gear or suchlike in Lidl. If you catch the bug for cycling, you'll regret not having a good bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ush1 wrote: »
    Ideally less than 300 quid for everything.(no idea if that's realistic)

Can you avail of the bike to work scheme ?
    If you are in the higher bracket a thousand euro bike only costs you 480 euro.

Worth doing.

Have you changing rooms available at work ? You might be better off carrying the laptop in a bag on the back/side of the back, less sweaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

You can do it, it will not be cheap though. You get what you pay for like everything. Lock, clothing, safety equipment, wet gear. all adds up very quickly.

If its an option, try get a lend of a bike for a week or so and see how you get on. I started on big heavy mountain bike wearing football gear. travel 30km round trip up and down the hills in the park. It was torture, but i enjoyed the freedom away from the car so i got decent gear and haevnt looked back since. It would have been a different story if i went and got the bike the gear etc and found it wasnt for me, I would have been stuck with an ornament in my shed.

ted1 wrote: »
    Can you avail of the bike to work scheme ?
    If you are in the higher bracket a thousand euro bike only costs you 480 euro.

Worth doing.

Have you changing rooms available at work ? You might be better off carrying the laptop in a bag on the back/side of the back, less sweaty.

Yes I can avail of the bike to work so it would be more or less half price.

Do you mean a special laptop bag for the bike? Yes there is changing rooms and showers in my job.

He means a pannier bag that goes on the rear rack, worth it if you have a heavy bag.

Chrome-Saddle-Bag-RollTop-Pannier.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

At that price you could probably get a single speed bike along with a lot of the accessories. If your commute is flat enough then you could probably live with one gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...The route has good cycle lanes the whole way...
    How do you know if you haven't cycled since childhood? Many cycle lanes look good to non-cyclists. The reality is often different.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

https://dutchbikeshop.ie/gazelle-tour-populair-t7/

Get yourself one of these.

No cycling gear required. Just another lock. As good as no maintanence needed either.

Like a therapy session on wheels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the OP said the budget was €300...

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

the OP said the budget was €300...

Spend 250 on flights to Netherlands and get a bike for 50 in a market in that case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

All cyclists will take a budget and ignore.

I'll try to play.

Where will the bike be stored at work? It will probably need a lock, host of options but if possible leave any heavy lock at work.

As a fair weather shorter distance cyclist you can/will do fine on a budget. Halfords axel is robust and well able. Decathlon do some really good budget bikes too.

The cheaper, heavier bikes are low fun up steep hills but have a nice upright sitting position which is comfy and gives you good visibility in traffic.

Take your time on the way in so you don't break a sweat, put the effort in on the way home. If there isn't a shower have a pack of babywipes handy.

Get a helmet, cycle gloves are good at protecting your palms if you crash. It is handy to have a puncture repair kit and pump plus a spare tube or get some marathon commuter tyres which have higher rolling resistance but are bombproof, don't worry about rolling resistance as you'll be easy in and won't feel it.

Oh, all helmets are built to the same regs so you pay extra for lightness/ventilation. In the uk there is no vat on helmets and planetX do decent cheap ones (i have two next to giro and kask).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If you can use the BTW scheme, why don’t you up your budget to the full €1000?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

As a fool that made the mistake of getting a hybrid on the b2w I’d recommend getting a road bike. You will want to go faster and further after a while.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Second hand single speed, add mudguards and a good lock and away you go. It's not far a commute and there is fcuk all maintenance in a single speed just look after your chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nee wrote: »
    ...and there is fcuk all maintenance in a single speed just look after your chain.
    Add a pair of Tannus tyres and there's even less to worry about.

Add a pair of Tannus tyres and there's even less to worry about.

Not a fan of them but they'd certainly cut down on maintenance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Going against the general theme of the thread - I was in the same boat in August, hadnt cycled since I was a teen, decided to cycle to work 9k each way. I bought the Btwin triban 100 for €260, https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/triban-100-road-bike-en-s145567.html

I find it good, it's not too 'racey' in setup so it's a nice transition for a newbie. I've never cycled an expensive bike so about 3k km later I'm none the wiser as to what I'm missing, nothing has broken, just clean & oil the chain every so often & job done. It's also comforting to know that if it gets nicked in town I'll be annoyed but not devastated as it's already paid for itself a few times over in unspent bus fare.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ush1 - where are you based? there are several bike shops which would have bikes in your price range (secondhand); i'm most familiar with the northside of dublin, and there's the place on bolton street and one in phibsborough which seems to cater for students in grangegorman.
    was once passing the latter shop and they had a fold up bike in decent nick outside (may have been btwin? don't know if they ever made fold up bikes) for €80. figured i'd go back in a couple of days but by the time i went back it was gone.

Going against the general theme of the thread - I was in the same boat in August, hadnt cycled since I was a teen, decided to cycle to work 9k each way. I bought the Btwin triban 100 for €260, https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/triban-100-road-bike-en-s145567.html

I find it good, it's not too 'racey' in setup so it's a nice transition for a newbie. I've never cycled an expensive bike so about 3k km later I'm none the wiser as to what I'm missing, nothing has broken, just clean & oil the chain every so often & job done. It's also comforting to know that if it gets nicked in town I'll be annoyed but not devastated as it's already paid for itself a few times over in unspent bus fare.

Thanks for that but thinking it might be better to go for a hybrid bike over a road bike?

Thanks for that but thinking it might be better to go for a hybrid bike over a road bike?

Yea it depends on the route I suppose. I'm on a straight run on the N11 from Foxrock to Stephens green so it works for me. The lack of suspension makes it a hell of a lot easier on the uphill way home. They have a regular handlebar version also. However not being able to test it out before delivery is a pain

Yea it depends on the route I suppose. I'm on a straight run on the N11 from Foxrock to Stephens green so it works for me. The lack of suspension makes it a hell of a lot easier on the uphill way home. They have a regular handlebar version also. However not being able to test it out before delivery is a pain

I'd be going Tallaght to Grange Castle, looking at this bike:

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/riverside-500-hybrid-bike-en-s300777.html

Would the road bike be easier then on the uphill yeah?

I'd be going Tallaght to Grange Castle, looking at this bike:

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/riverside-500-hybrid-bike-en-s300777.html

Would the road bike be easier then on the uphill yeah?

Wouldn't know that area to be honest. Well I started my commute on a mountain bike until it gave up (it was about 15 yrs old) I found I couldn't get up to a high enough speed as I ran out of gears. Suspensions dissipate some of the energy you expend by peddling so it wastes a lot of energy.

I'm no cycling expert by any means though - just speaking from my experience of commuting the last few months. Decathlon do make good value for money bikes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

At that price you could probably get a single speed bike along with a lot of the accessories. If your commute is flat enough then you could probably live with one gear.
    nee wrote: »
    Second hand single speed, add mudguards and a good lock and away you go. It's not far a commute and there is fcuk all maintenance in a single speed just look after your chain.

I don't get why anyone would recommend a single speed bike for someone who hasn't cycled since they were a child. Except maybe you want to remind them of what it used to be like to ride the bike they had as a child.

Less maintenance, maybe. But how much maintenance does it take on a bike with gears? Certainly not enough that it would rule out getting a bike with gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I was in the same boat 2 years ago. I ended up buying second hand and have gotten the bug since then. I still use the secondhand bike I bought as my commuter but if I am honest it wasn't a great buy. I bought for €220, invested 50 on pedals etc, new tyres +$60 and used it for 3 weeks before the crank broke +€150. Adding all those items brought me to the exact cost I could have gotten a decent bike on the BTW scheme for with a warranty. I recommend making a decision you can afford, and then just go with it, and accept some things need to be flexible. I have now got a commuter, a hybrid, and just recently got my second sportive/club spin bike in 15 month. just do it and N+1 will make sense in due course.

Cionn

Effects wrote: »
    I don't get why anyone would recommend a single speed bike for someone who hasn't cycled since they were a child. Except maybe you want to remind them of what it used to be like to ride the bike they had as a child.

Less maintenance, maybe. But how much maintenance does it take on a bike with gears? Certainly not enough that it would rule out getting a bike with gears.

Waaay less maintenance. All you ever need to do with a ss is wipe and oil the chain, no indexing issues, derailleur cleaning/fixing, far, far, far less simpler bike to ride and maintain.
    I have as many fixed gear bikes as road bikes, and I only use the geared bikes if I need to train or do a road race, most of my time is spent fixed.
    A ss for a beginner gets them into cycling, is a very easy bike to fix or do anything with, very simple to learn on, and cheap. A gateway bike and always handy to have.
    With the right gear you never miss multiple gears. I commute 200k a week fixed, wouldn't go back to geared commuting if you paid me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I wouldn't want to commute on my single speed all the time. Just doesn't suit my style of cycling on a commute.

I've seen more people broken down on ss bikes than geared bikes over the years.
    The only indexing issue I've had in the past three years was a result of a pedestrian running into me and I came off the bike. Slightly damaged the derailleur and I had to adjust it.

I'd hate to be a beginner having to tackle some hills on a SS while trying to commute.
    Any beginners I know that got single speed bikes at the start just gave up after a while.

Advertisement