Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help - Crackling Speaker

• 22-02-2019 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Bought Tannoy Eclipse 1 Bookshelf Speakers about a year ago. Sitting in the same place all the time, not moved at all (except I moved house but packages in origination box when moving). About 3 months ago one speaker started crackling when I walked by. Then a little more and more as time went on. Now it crackles when not event near it. I change the output ports from the amp, still the same, so not the amp. Redid the wiring, still the same. I can't really send back as bought in UK and would have to send back via post, 15€, the to have delivered again is 15€ and they may not even replace. So... I opened it up. Doesn't seem to be any loose wiring (as I was told there might be) all seems pretty solid.

Any ideas?

Link to images of inside here>
    https://imgur.com/a/DJ2Ktew

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Chances are it's the cone. Try gently pushing the cone in by pressing evenly on each side of the centre dome. If you hear grating then the voice coil is hitting the magnet and the speaker needs to be replaced.

Does volume level have any effect ? For example does it happen at low volumes too ?

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

I'll check this out in a bit and get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Yuk, turns out it is the AMP. The red connector on right side of AMP is calling the crackling!

Guess this is a situation where I have to open the AMP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yuk, turns out it is the AMP. The red connector on right side of AMP is calling the crackling!

Guess this is a situation where I have to open the AMP?

If it is the amp, then it’s a situation where somebody who knows how to work around lethal voltages need to take a look at it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Cheers endacle.

wannabecraig,

Please do not try repairing an amp if you are not qualified to do so - as said by endacle, this is a job for someone who knows what they're doing, send it to a repair centre, presuming its worth repairing, otherwise look for a replacement.

Ritz.

• Advertisement
Advertisement