Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic Growth of Wilton

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I always get it mixed up with Salisbury and Fugglestone Saint Peter.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I wouldnt let it overly bother me TBH.

It only takes 2 mins to open up Google Maps to see where somewhere actually is, not what the deeds of the property says and thats the issue.

You could report every ad on Daft thats misleading, see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

I once worked with a guy from Mayfield. He said he was from Outer Montenotte.

bot43 wrote: »

Yeah, that's a bit like "North Glasnevin", a.k.a. Ballymun. :pac:

Lower Blackrock - Mahon

>>

<<

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I wouldnt let it overly bother me TBH.

It only takes 2 mins to open up Google Maps to see where somewhere actually is, not what the deeds of the property says and thats the issue.

You could report every ad on Daft thats misleading, see how it goes.

Not really bothered, it’s just a bit ridiculous and should be stamped out

Not really bothered, it’s just a bit ridiculous and should be stamped out

Its worse in the country, buddy was looking up places to live in Mallow and came across a place at a great price, clicke don Google Maps and its pretty much on the Kerry boarder. :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

To be fair, back as far as the Kerry border has addresses as Mallow. Knocknagree, Ballydesmond and Kiskeam are all Mallow, Co. Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The bottom link on eircode is Aishling Court, Lehenaghmore, Togher, Cork but advertised as Wilton.

All lehenaghbeg and lehenaghmore is togher, it’s pure greed and snobbery. How are estate agents and developers not held to account by consumer protection, this is false advertising if I’ve ever seen it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I remember being confused by this as well when looking for rental properties and the Wilton dropdown was full of places on the South side of the N40

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Are the bad old days of the Wilton-Togher wars starting up again?

Some people actually would like to see a hard border reinstated.

Before the peace agreement of 2017, things had taken a nasty turn, and locals were confused and terrified. Matters came to a head when a piece of paper reading 'Wilton' was sellotaped on to a "Welcome to Togher" sign in 2016 by an unknown group of Wilton freedom fighters:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-welcome-signs-spark-angry-neighbourhood-turf-war-744916.html

Are the bad old days of the Wilton-Togher wars starting up again?

Some people actually would like to see a hard border reinstated.

Before the peace agreement of 2017, things had taken a nasty turn, and locals were confused and terrified. Matters came to a head when a piece of paper reading 'Wilton' was sellotaped on to a "Welcome to Togher" sign in 2016 by an unknown group of Wilton freedom fighters:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-welcome-signs-spark-angry-neighbourhood-turf-war-744916.html

Yes, a lot of people are horrified to find out that the Togher/Wilton boundary runs along Wilton shopping centre by the Bank of Ireland from the Wilton Roundabout, all the way to the end of Sarsfield Road. Interestingly, Togher Industrial Estate is technically in Ballyphehane. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

bot43 wrote: »

'Upper Glanmire' is another favourite of those beauties.
    Lower Blackrock - Mahon

>>

<<
    Fella that used to live next door to me used Ballinure or Ballinure South. And he was originally from Cathedral Road FFS !! It's Mahon as far as me, the postman and Cork City Council are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

jimgoose wrote: »
    Yes, a lot of people are horrified to find out that the Togher/Wilton boundary runs along Wilton shopping centre by the Bank of Ireland from the Wilton Roundabout, all the way to the end of Sarsfield Road. Interestingly, Togher Industrial Estate is technically in Ballyphehane. :D

I've lived around Togher/Wilton for most of my life and it was news to me. Nobody I know around Sarsfield Road has ever known it as being anything other than Wilton, which of course it isn't.

This is what happens when people decide a parish is worth more than actual land boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Classes lake in "Ovens" is another one.
    Drive out of ovens, past the "Welcome To Ballincollig" road signs and turn left into Classes Lake.
    It's ridiculous. Probably not so much anymore but when those houses were built a house in Ovens was considered nicer than one in Ballincollig.
    The post office was busy back then, lots of brown envelopes being sold!

Acosta wrote: »
    I've lived around Togher/Wilton for most of my life and it was news to me. Nobody I know around Sarsfield Road has ever known it as being anything other than Wilton, which of course it isn't.

This is what happens when people decide a parish is worth more than actual land boundaries.

Actually most knew but chose to pay an extra 20% to call themselves Wilton

It’s not a parish thing either as people like to claim. It’s like Cork city being a collection of suburbs of which suburbs are a collection of townlands of which townlands are a collection of streets and estates. togher being a suburb incorporating a fair few townlands which was the case for centuries until the developers rocked up and got a higher price by saying its Wilton. Look at the house deeds and this will tell you you are more than likely in doughcloyne if on sarsfields road and doughcloyne is a townland of togher.

Wilton was actually a tiny farm.

Isn’t the new houses by spur hill being proclaimed as Wilton.

jimgoose wrote: »

Is it? Don’t think it is but I could be wrong. I thought Casey’s Cross would be the separation. Togher Industrial Estate is pretty much lehenaghbeg.

The funny thing about it all is the so called not from togher brigade are from the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Do people really have some ego about where they live this bad.

Rose Properties now advertising Lehenaghbeg as Wilton.

Not is it bad enough that people were conned into paying more for property on Sarsfields Road so they could put down Wilton instead of Togher, the rot has moved up the hill now. Next Wilton will border Ballygarvan.

I know this has gone on before, but Togher is not a physical place, it is a collection of townlands taking in Adrmanning, Killeenreendowny, Clashduv, Deanrock, Lehenaghmore, Lehenaghbeg, Ashgrove (up to the liberty stream bordering Ballygarvan), Chetwynd (Spur Hill), Doughcloyne and Garrandarragh.

Its beyond a joke that false advertising isn't challenged more at developers and estate agents. I know Eircode will tell you Sarsfield Road is Wilton but i can assure you long before housing developers and Eircode came to this area Sarsfields house was part of Togher.

I know its an ongoing snobbery issue, but come on the below links are a joke

https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-rent/wilton/manor-crescent-manor-farm-wilton-cork-1907275/

https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-rent/wilton/north-avenue-matthew-hill-wilton-cork-1914083/

https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/wilton/4-aishling-court-lehenaghmore-wilton-cork-2041236/

I live in Killeenreendowney and it’s most definitely not togher. I grew up in togher and would have had no problem staying there especially if it ment buying my house for cheaper too

Actually most knew but chose to pay an extra 20% to call themselves Wilton

It’s not a parish thing either as people like to claim. It’s like Cork city being a collection of suburbs of which suburbs are a collection of townlands of which townlands are a collection of streets and estates. togher being a suburb incorporating a fair few townlands which was the case for centuries until the developers rocked up and got a higher price by saying its Wilton. Look at the house deeds and this will tell you you are more than likely in doughcloyne if on sarsfields road and doughcloyne is a townland of togher.

Wilton was actually a tiny farm.

Isn’t the new houses by spur hill being proclaimed as Wilton.

Maybe it was growing up with a church and gaa people around me, but the parish lines always appeared to be the official boundaries for many around the place. Of course it's wrong though.

That area where those new houses have gone up has always been known an Wilton in my time. At least as an address. Which of course it really isn't. Bloody hell.

• Advertisement

Acosta wrote: »
    Maybe it was growing up with a church and gaa people around me, but the parish lines always appeared to be the official boundaries for many around the place. Of course it's wrong though.

That area where those new houses have gone up has always been known an Wilton in my time. At least as an address. Which of course it really isn't. Bloody hell.

Unfortunately developers are a law on themselves.

What amazes me the most is that consumer protection seems to ignore this. Wilton most definitely was a social class creation, it never existed on any historical maps, Glasheen, Bishopstown, Togher and Ballyphehane made up the south west of the City and surrounding areas. Problem was Togher got a very bad name after the corporation housing and flats were built in the 70s. People wanted to disassociate with it.

People in Greenwood even tried to only put Lehenaghmore only on their address, quiet correctly Greenwood is part of Lehenaghmore but Lehenaghmore in turn is part of Togher.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I live in Killeenreendowney and it’s most definitely not togher. I grew up in togher and would have had no problem staying there especially if it ment buying my house for cheaper too

Killeenreendowney is more associated with Ballyphehane nowadays but historically the townland was in Togher, i myself from growing up in Togher/Ballyphehane would have always classed it as Ballyphehane.

Wilton is the ridiculous one, if developers and estate agents continue Wilton will be bordering Ballygarvan at the airport. People complain about greedy bankers, but the falsifying of areas to squeeze more money is the ultimate greed as it is based on a lie

Lower Blackrock - Mahon

>>

<<

Blackrock... Isn't that the posh part of Mahon?

People in Greenwood even tried to only put Lehenaghmore only on their address, quiet correctly Greenwood is part of Lehenaghmore but Lehenaghmore in turn is part of Togher.

Many great games of ball were had on the green. Yeah i remember the Lehenaghmore craze growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

'Upper Glanmire' is another favourite of those beauties.

Upper Glanmire is a place.

Ros Ard being the big housing estate up there, the rest of the area is bordering Sarsfields Court and White's Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Upper Glanmire is a place.

Ros Ard being the big housing estate up there, the rest of the area is bordering Sarsfields Court and White's Cross.

I know that, but it's the ones living in Mayfield that use it don't seem to know it !!

I work with one such individual...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Blackrock... Isn't that the posh part of Mahon?

One is a part of the other... but I can’t remember if it’s Blackrock is a part of Mahon, or Mahon is a part of Blackrock.

Does Jacobs island (next to Mahon point) list as Mahon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

pwurple wrote: »
    One is a part of the other... but I can’t remember if it’s Blackrock is a part of Mahon, or Mahon is a part of Blackrock.

Does Jacobs island (next to Mahon point) list as Mahon?

I've seen listings from there as Blackrock, and it doesn't get much more Mahon-ey than that.

Blackrock knows no bounds. It's unstoppable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I'm always amazed by the obsession in Cork with de parish, who cares what developers call an area? Anyone interested in a house or apartment can take two seconds to look up the location on google maps and see if it suits them or not.

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    I'm always amazed by the obsession in Cork with de parish, who cares what developers call an area? Anyone interested in a house or apartment can take two seconds to look up the location on google maps and see if it suits them or not.

Its not an obsession with a parish, its pure and utter false and misleading advertising and it has gone on for so long cos the consumer rights and planning authorities have completely ignored it. Theres enough historical deeds to prove areas and the planning authorities should not be approving plans based on false information

Advertisement