Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable Identification

Options
  • 22-02-2019 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Anyone able to tell me what type of cable this is?

I think it's a Molex 4 pin power cable but that's my best guess. Maybe someone can provide me an exact description & link for purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

You say 4 pin, but you can clearly see 5. Also, is it double row?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

What is it off, if you dont know. Why do you need it?? This is a very vague post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Completely impossible to say. What's the cable for? Is it coming off a power supply or what? What even is that, a PC, a car, some other electronic device?

First cable looks like a power cable (to what, or from what, I don't know, but it's not any standard PC part anyway), 2nd is a standard 3-pin header (but again, connected to what, and from what, no idea).

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Completely impossible to say. What's the cable for? Is it coming off a power supply or what? What even is that, a PC, a car, some other electronic device?

First cable looks like a power cable (to what, or from what, I don't know, but it's not any standard PC part anyway), 2nd is a standard 3-pin header (but again, connected to what, and from what, no idea).

Its from a vending machine. I think it's a power supply to a board but I don't physically have it in front of me.

The 3 pin header is connected to the 5 pin molex (not sure if molex is the correct term)

oLoonatic wrote: »
    What is it off, if you dont know. Why do you need it?? This is a very vague post.

That's a vague question. What do you mean why do I need it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

That's a vague question. What do you mean why do I need it?

Well if you had said something like 'I need to link a motherboard to a hard drive' it would help put it in context and thus easier for others to identify.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

OP, your query was about a cable and not connectors as such. One end of the cable has multiple connectors and the other end only one?

I assume this is a wiring loom you are really talking about which may be unique to your situation. Are you attempting to replace the wiring loom? Do you have a wiring diagram you could refer to?

degsie wrote: »
    OP, your query was about a cable and not connectors as such. One end of the cable has multiple connectors and the other end only one?

I assume this is a wiring loom you are really talking about which may be unique to your situation. Are you attempting to replace the wiring loom? Do you have a wiring diagram you could refer to?

Yes, I inherited this item and am just messing about with it trying to figure out what makes it tick.

You are correct in saying this is a wiring loom and it may actually be unique to me. I assumed it was one of those standard power cables you might find in an old PC.

I don't have a wiring diagram but it looks like a simple enough fix. If I cut the wire behind the bread and re-head it with the current head it should be fine.

A lot of non-technical jargon there. I'm just curious as to what makes the machine work and how I might go about fixing the wire. Are there special crimps for these kinds of wires do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Your best bet is to go to Farnell.com and have a look around the connector section.

You should be able to narrow down the search to about 50 types.

It's molex, it's got X number of pins, and there's y distance between the pins.

That should narrow things down. There are special tools to put a metal crimp on the end of each wire that clicks into the plastic housing, but you can make do with pliers if you need to.

Advertisement