Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is There BIK On Classic Cars?

Options
  • 22-02-2019 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi there,

I've received different information from different accountants and people in the motor industry :-)

If a business buys a car, is there BIK on a 30+ year old car, or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

The age of the vehicle is not relevant when it comes to BIK.

BIK is due on the OMV of the vehicle in Ireland prior to first registration and inclusive of all Irish taxes and duties. You may have some work to do to determine this figure but it should be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Ok great, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

If it's a 30 year old car, won't the OMV be so low as to make the amount due on BIK fairly low? Or have the clever chaps in Revenue thought of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

3rdDegree wrote: »
    If it's a 30 year old car, won't the OMV be so low as to make the amount due on BIK fairly low? Or have the clever chaps in Revenue thought of that?

Depends on the classic car, it may have been very expensive.

And don't forget to convert to euro, OP.

A Porsche 911 was £25,500 new back in 1983. So what figure will the revenue have in mind? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

oo7 wrote: »
    A Porsche 911 was £25,500 new back in 1983. So what figure will the revenue have in mind? :-)

€32,378

Cool, thanks

3rdDegree wrote: »

Yes it will and I know of a few who are taking advantage of this. You pay a trivial amount of BIK and the company fund the capital purchase of the car and fund all repairs, maintenance and running costs.

The numbers doing this are likely to be minimal so I don't think it would be high on Revenue's priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Paddy001 wrote: »
    Yes it will and I know of a few who are taking advantage of this. You pay a trivial amount of BIK and the company fund the capital purchase of the car and fund all repairs, maintenance and running costs.

The numbers doing this are likely to be minimal so I don't think it would be high on Revenue's priorities.

There's a cap of €24k on how much the company can claim though, and that's only for a car that's low emissions, it's much lower for a G rated car (although again, not sure how they would rate a classic car)

Thanks Paddy.

What do you mean the numbers are low and not a priority for the Revenue? It is legal to do this, in the eyes of the Revenue?

• Advertisement

Rulmeq wrote: »
    There's a cap of €24k on how much the company can claim though, and that's only for a car that's low emissions, it's much lower for a G rated car (although again, not sure how they would rate a classic car)

The cap you refer to is regarding capital allowances which can be claimed by the company. It's likely no capital allowance claim would be available as you have implied but this is not really an issue as a classic would be expected to hold its value. Accordingly you would only be obtaining capital allowances to be hit with a balancing charge upon disposal.

oo7 wrote: »
    Thanks Paddy.

What do you mean the numbers are low and not a priority for the Revenue? It is legal to do this, in the eyes of the Revenue?

Yes it is legal to do this - it is within the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

The cap you refer to is regarding capital allowances which can be claimed by the company. It's likely no capital allowance claim would be available as you have implied but this is not really an issue as a classic would be expected to hold its value. Accordingly you would only be obtaining capital allowances to be hit with a balancing charge upon disposal.

I hadn't even thought that it won't lose value :)

Thanks Paddy.

Advertisement