Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit not refunded since 6 months

Options
  • 22-02-2019 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

In October last year mrs put down a deposit down for a book shelf with a carpenter who makes bespoke wall panels .

We had not decided on the actual unit itself by then but the vendor mentioned that we were not required to commit to a particular style or tone at point-of placing the deposit .

Before placing the final order and configuration we changed out mind and did not want to proceed mainly because we saw similar units available elsewhere at half the price quoted.We emailed the vendor for a refund and he mentioned that he cant return the deposit but would give us a credit note for the amount deposited .

Since then it has been 5 months since , several emails to their sales office/ owner / phone calls and no response. Last response I got in December was that the owner who had taken the order had an workplace accident and out for surgery .
    But I do see the company fairly active on Facebook and taking new orders .

I contacted ccpc and they didn't give me any hope either and they asked me to write a formal complaint which I did .

Its a significant amount so what else can we do here ..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you just looking to get the physical credit note?

There's no right to a monetary refund for a bespoke order change of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭galaxy12

L1011 wrote: »

Ideally a money back. But any credit note would be ok at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

L1011 wrote: »

I dont think any particular item was ever ordered, just an intention that they would place an order at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I dont think any particular item was ever ordered, just an intention that they would place an order at some point.

Why would they pay a deposit then? Doesn't make any sense at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think if you pay a deposit and then cancel the order, they're entitled to keep your deposit.

Otherwise, what's the point of it?

• Advertisement

It's like this . We placed an order for a product with the intention to change it so that we get slotted in .

Correspondence edited and names and figures removed ..

As discussed with xxxx earlier, the details of your shelving unit should ideally have more time for discussion so that you ultimately get the unit you want. However BCX Ltd is about to graduate to the final phase of our incubation programme and we will move to the exit phase and lose our xx% subsidy and VAT exemption. To mitigate the loss of our subsidy, all prices across the board will increase by xy% on any orders placed and paid for after Friday, as well as having a VAT application of xy% on the increased total.

My suggestion to xxxx was that, considering you’re not required to commit to a particular style or tone at point-of-ordering, you might considering placing your order for the abc product and then discussing it at your leisure to decide which style will work best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

as mentioned above there is no specific right to a refund of a deposit.

You could ask vendor if you can use it towards a new order/item?

as mentioned above there is no specific right to a refund of a deposit.

You could ask vendor if you can use it towards a new order/item?

it has been since October that we have been asking them but no response .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The whole point of a deposit is that it can be retained if the order is cancelled.

Some people may refund it as a gesture of goodwill but they do not have to.

It looks like you are not going to get your deposit back and really there is nothing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mike3549

I dont see any reasons why op shouldnt get his deposit back.
    Unless the shop has to return the item and pay restocking fee or other related charges, they are not losing any money. Also it doesnt say a thing about non-refundable deposit.
    If they are active on social media, try to contact them publicly, i dont think they would like negative feedbacks and this might speed up things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Was it a booking deposit?

What are the terms and conds on their site re booking deposits?

Generally booking deposits ARE refundable.

....... wrote: »
    Was it a booking deposit?

What are the terms and conds on their site re booking deposits?

Generally booking deposits ARE refundable.

deposit was 500 euros . The order considered confirmed upon receipt of deposit but we didnt order any specific item at the time of placing the deposit .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

galaxy12 wrote: »
    deposit was 500 euros . The order considered confirmed upon receipt of deposit but we didnt order any specific item at the time of placing the deposit .

So it was a booking deposit for (at the time of the deposit) unspecified services/products?

What do their terms and conditions say? What does your receipt say?

There must be some info on their website or in a brochure regarding deposits?

....... wrote: »
    So it was a booking deposit for (at the time of the deposit) unspecified services/products?

What do their terms and conditions say? What does your receipt say?

There must be some info on their website or in a brochure regarding deposits?

Yes we didn't specify the exact model/color etc .We did that to get it a bit cheaper and because ---
    ( copying from the thread as posted earlier , dont know how to use multi quote yet..)

To mitigate the loss of our subsidy, all prices across the board will increase by xy% on any orders placed and paid for after Friday, as well as having a VAT application of xy% on the increased total.

My suggestion to xxxx was that, considering you’re not required to commit to a particular style or tone at point-of-ordering, you might considering placing your order for the abc product and then discussing it at your leisure to decide which style will work best

Advertisement