Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo/Microsoft Partnership Rumour (Split from General Discussion Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sligeach wrote: »
    Report: Microsoft Preparing Xbox App & GamePass for Nintendo Switch

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sCuG984QIbU

Already posted about an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sCuG984QIbU
    This has the potential to work very well on Ireland as they have servers here. I haven't played red dead 2 yet despite it sitting their for the playstation cause I know I won't get the time, but if I could play it on the switch in handheld I'd be all over it. Since the switch I don't know how I ever got enough time to play on the main TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

My guess is maybe it uses streaming technology to play your xbox games on your Switch at home over wi-fi

manual_man wrote: »
    My guess is maybe it uses streaming technology to play your xbox games on your Switch at home over wi-fi

Yeah that's exactly what it is. Its Microsoft xcloud. Look it up on YouTube it looks interesting. I tried the similar service from playstation called playstation now but their was too much lag for my taste but Microsoft have servers here so it shouldn't be as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Clever. Reinforces that the Switch is a 2nd console and not at the races, and adds massive value to the Xbox/Switch combo over the PS4/Switch combo, while reminding everyone that the Sony handheld was a failure. Gut punch/French kiss/Sweep the leg combo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Banjo wrote: »
    Clever. Reinforces that the Switch is a 2nd console and not at the races, and adds massive value to the Xbox/Switch combo over the PS4/Switch combo, while reminding everyone that the Sony handheld was a failure. Gut punch/French kiss/Sweep the leg combo.

What you mean by that?

It is a relatively common idiom, especially in sports, used to denote when one's performance is not up to par with one's peers. mod edit

It is a relatively common idiom, especially in sports, used to denote when one's performance is not up to par with one's peers. mod edit

The Switch is 60m behind the PS4 and has been available for 4 years less.

PS4 have averaged 18.9m sales per year.
    Switch has averaged 16.1m sales per year.

I wouldn't class that as "not at the races"

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

I know what the term means, I don't think its applicable to the switch though, considering it will more than likely outsell the xbox one by this time next year.

So what metric are you using to say its not up to par? mod edit

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The Switch is 60m behind the PS4 and has been available for 4 years less.

PS4 have averaged 18.9m sales per year.
    Switch has averaged 16.1m sales per year.

I wouldn't class that as "not at the races"

And I can probably type faster than Usain Bolt. I guess we're watching different races. Why so defensive?

• Advertisement

And I can probably type faster than Usain Bolt. I guess we're watching different races. Why so defensive?

I'm not defensive at all. I own all current consoles and a PC.

mod edit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Even if the Xbox was playable on the Switch I don't think they've ever been in a bigger rutt first party wise. Forza is fantastic but Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2 are lousy. Halo & Gears seem to have had a bit of franchise fatigue too.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Even if the Xbox was playable on the Switch I don't think they've ever been in a bigger rutt first party wise. Forza is fantastic but Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2 are lousy. Halo & Gears seem to have had a bit of franchise fatigue too.

GamePass has heaps of older games to though. It can be got for €60 a year so great value at that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Keep it calm lads and lassies, we can debate a point and disagree without becoming hostile.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

iamtony wrote: »
    Yeah that's exactly what it is. Its Microsoft xcloud. Look it up on YouTube it looks interesting. I tried the similar service from playstation called playstation now but their was too much lag for my taste but Microsoft have servers here so it shouldn't be as bad.

Google have a gaming service on the way that, apparently, uses the same kind of tech, it'll be interesting to see if they have the infrastructure in place to make it work

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

At the moment the only XBox One exclusives not available on pc that I'm interested in are Rare Replay and Master Chief Collection

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Google have a gaming service on the way that, apparently, uses the same kind of tech, it'll be interesting to see if they have the infrastructure in place to make it work

I wonder what kind of tech is under the hood in their servers? It would have to be PC based wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

https://mynintendonews.com/2019/02/22/jeux-video-regular-meetings-between-nintendo-and-xbox-team-ori-cuphead-game-pass-and-x-cloud-coming-to-nintendo-switch-this-year/
    France’s biggest gaming website Jeuxvideo has been on a roll today with Xbox leaks and has more Nintendo and Microsoft collaboration information. The site says that Nintendo and the Xbox Team have had regular meetings in Redmond Washington about partnership. The site says firstly that Cuphead and Ori and the Blind Forest will come to the Nintendo Switch platform and that more than 100 Xbox games will be available on the Nintendo Switch via Xbox Game Pass via X Cloud before the end of the year. Here’s a summary from Reset Era member Ex-Actarus:

Nintendo and Microsoft had several meetings in Redmond regarding their upcoming partnership

They confirm Ori and the Blind Forest will come on the Switch, but Cuphead as well

More than 100 Xbox games will be available on Switch via Gamepass and/or X Cloud ( before the end of the year )

Rare games could also come to the Switch. No details, but jeuxvideo.com believes Rare Replay could be a good candidate.

No mention of Scalebound during their investigation

Their sources refuses to say if Nintendo games could end up on Microsoft platforms

A high profile Microsoft franchise (Halo, Forza or Gears) could come on the Nintendo Switch. However, they don’t know in what capacity ( 360 port ? Xbox One game ? ). This is still under discussion between Microsoft and Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Native ports of Ori and cuphead would be great. The gamepass/X-cloud stuff is interesting. Microsoft are looking to become platform agnostic these days and are all about 'services' and want subscribers on all platforms so I'd say there's definitely something happening behind the scenes.

"Their sources refuses to say if Nintendo games could end up on Microsoft platforms" but this I wouldn't believe has any chance of happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"Their sources refuses to say if Nintendo games could end up on Microsoft platforms" but this I wouldn't believe has any chance of happening.

I wouldn't rule out secondary series likes Mario Golf or Tennis but yeah, it's hard to imagine a top tier Nintendo game on anything other than a Nintendo console.

Will be interesting to see if this gamepass thing is true, just how Microsoft approach it. Will they follow Netflix and let you access your Gamepass account on multiple different devices with one subscription or would it be a case that you have to buy a Gamepass sub for the Xbox and then one for other consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Xbox Games on Nintendo Switch?? RUMOR DISCUSSION - Ori, Game Pass, & XCloud!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FKPXaSp2aq0

Why Xbox Game Pass on Nintendo Switch would be just the beginning
    What if Xbox transforms from a console to an app?

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2019/2/22/18236210/xbox-game-pass-switch-microsoft

Xbox Games on Nintendo Switch?? RUMOR DISCUSSION - Ori, Game Pass, & XCloud!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FKPXaSp2aq0

Why Xbox Game Pass on Nintendo Switch would be just the beginning
    What if Xbox transforms from a console to an app?

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2019/2/22/18236210/xbox-game-pass-switch-microsoft

I suppose the benefits could be two-fold.
    At once Nintendo would have access to a massive potential library of games, certainly much from the PC platforms that would run on a Switch.
    For MS and the Xbox brand, it would be a way to raise their profile in an otherwise hostile Japanese market.

From our point of view, there's nothing on the lovely Rare Replay that wouldn't run on Switch... I wonder if they could produce an Xbox 360 emulator for the Switch, make porting even easier....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Microsoft news is interesting. Titanfall on release was already set up to be able to offload some of the AI and physics workloads to a nearby Azure instance so that the local resource can do more work on the graphics side, meaning MS have already been working for several years on game-specific cloud services. The increasing support for Linux and opensourcing of MS code also speaks to their decision to pivot hard towards being a platform provider (unsurprising given the current CEO made his name building up Azure).

The interesting question for me is re: online - thus far Nintendo's online service has little appeal to me, and I'm a bit cheesed that e.g. Fortnight and Warframe don't require a Nintendo Online account to play online, but Rocket League does (despite not being a Nintendo title and supporting crossplatform play i.e. presumably not making significant use of Nintendo's online resource). Does this partnership mean Nintendo will make Xbox Live work on the Switch and not bother trying to make Nintendo Online offer the sorts of things that PSN and XBL offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

If this happens and then Rare Replay comes to Switch....we are living in best timeline! Been wanting to get that for ages, and been tempted by cheap Xbone S for it before. Kinda strange they talk about this partnership but it never came to PC, even though almost every other MS exclusive did (bar Halo games) in the Windows Store.

I cant really see any downsides to this tbh.
    -MS, who are close to being the 3rd ranked console this gen, gets a new revenue source and potentially millions of Gamepass subs as well as new leases of life for some of their games such as Cuphead and Ori to a fanbase that laps up 3d platform games.
    -Nintendo will fill in a huge gap in their market presence in the form of the "AAA games" releases such as Forza, Tomb Raider, Halo etc etc. Granted, streaming would be abyssmal to play online shooters on with the lag and delay. But the sheer wealth of single player games they can tap they had little to no access to before is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Gematsu has also heard that a Switch version of Ori and the Blind Forest has appeared in at least one United Kingdom wholesale database under the distribution of THQ Nordic, which has worked with Microsoft in the past to publish PC titles on Steam.

https://gematsu.com/2019/02/rumor-microsoft-and-nintendo-collaborating-to-bring-xbox-game-pass-and-select-first-party-titles-to-switch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The alien hookah it's pretty obvious if you think about it accord

Finally paving the way for the nintendo 64 mini featuring Banjo Conker Jet Force and all your other favourite Rare games

The alien hookah it's pretty obvious if you think about it accord

Finally paving the way for the nintendo 64 mini featuring Banjo Conker Jet Force and all your other favourite Rare games

Be careful what you wish for, an awful lot of N64 games look and play like dirt now, especially the controls and the frame rate, you might think that it'd be great to play Body Harvest again... No, no it wouldn't be....

Advertisement