Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB shoes, pedals and lights on roadbike for commute.

Options
  • 22-02-2019 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

I started a new job recently and its a bit awkward compared to the last workplace because I have to dismount and cross the road to get through the main security gate and its a long walk on a tiled floor to the changing room.

I am thinking about getting some MTB shoes and cleats to make it a bit easier when walking.

Are they as easy to clip in and out as SPD SL shoes and cleats?

Any recommendations or anything else to look out for?

Also looking for a decent set of lights, budget up to 50-60 quid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

I always use MTB shoes and cleats on commute bike, just makes things easier with steps and other stuff in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I lock an old pair of sandals to the lock that I leave in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tomtomfoolery

murph226 wrote: »
    I started a new job recently and its a bit awkward compared to the last workplace because I have to dismount and cross the road to get through the main security gate and its a long walk on a tiled floor to the changing room.

I am thinking about getting some MTB shoes and cleats to make it a bit easier when walking.

shimano SPDs are great for commutiing. either dual sided or single cleats. Lights- halford do OK rechargeables for that budget. I like Beryl .cc - used to be Blaze. good lights and a bit gimmicky but high build quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

M520 are great and cheap. The xt touring are great as the flat side has good pins for pub trips but they hang perfectly for clipping in at lights etc.

I like specalized shoes as i have wide feet, fit like addidas, shimano fit like nike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I bought a pair of work-out shoes in Pennys for around 8 euro I think. They fold down almost flat and so take up very little room in my bag. Totally saves my SPD-SL cleats now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I take my shoes off and walk into the office in my socks. I work in a third level , so students probably see stranger things anyway.

I used Look Touring Shoes for a few years. They're great, but expensive and hard to find. Got 2 years out of the cleats and they came with spares that I can't find so back to using normal keos

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I tried spd's but contrary to most experiences I was about found them difficult to clip into and stiff, and much less float, soaks way less adjustability, so I gave up and went back to spd-sl's.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nee wrote: »
    I tried spd's but contrary to most experiences I was about found them difficult to clip into and stiff, and much less float, soaks way less adjustability, so I gave up and went back to spd-sl's.
    There are 2 types of SPD cleats - SH51 and SH56. One has more float than the other but I can never remember which is which.

I would say that SPD in general are much easier to clip and unclip. Perhaps you hadn't adjusted the tension in the springs. They can be a bit stiffer when new especially when cleats are new also. I use them for commuting and on winter rides with winter boots.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had the same experience as nee. I was using the spds with fixed float though, (black ones) I always found it too hard to unclip.

I went down more in a week than I did in 4 years of having Keos

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the only clips i've ever used are SPDs, i've a pair of 14 year old shoes still going strong that are easy to walk around in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

If you do decide to go for SPD cleats and shoes, make sure you get shoes with recessed cleats. I recently bought a pair of Giro Saviks that take both SPD and SLs cleats but they fit proud of the sole and are quite slippy on hard floors as you are walking on the metal cleat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Brian? wrote: »
    Are those pedals dual sided for clip in?

And what are they like to use with normal shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Are those pedals dual sided for clip in?

And what are they like to use with normal shoes?
    The M324's have a flat side for normal shoes.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m324-clipless-spd-flat-mtb-pedals/rp-prod5937

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Like other posters, I use SPDs for my commute - much easier for frequent clipping/un-clipping and for walking to and from the bike rack!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

There is also the argument to not bother with SPD type pedals at all. In terms of commute, using flat pedals and runners is not going to make any noticeable difference.

GCN did a youtube video of the differences between clipped v non clipped a while back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMCYYNTWUY and for most normal riding it doesn't really make too much difference.

SO maybe consider not going for SPD at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Another vote for spd's, but as mentioned, make sure they're recessed. I generally use "Touring" shoes - half the time I have to remember to change them as they're comfy to walk around in and smart enough to get away with.

I tried spd's with road shoes and found them harder to clip into than spd-sl, but with the recess I don't seem to have an issue and find them a lot handier than spd-sl for unclipping, and it's not an issue away from lights either as you can pedal away unclipped easier with recessed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

I got some XT T8000 pedals for my road/commuting bike. SPD on one side and flat with pins on the other. I don't race so use them for everything. The flat side is really grippy compared to my old A530 ones so for shorter journeys you don't even need cleats.
    Also got Shimano XC5 shoes which were on special offer on Merlin last time I looked. Great all round shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'm going to try a set of those Xt pedals, just what I'm looking for.

Undecided on shoes, I've had Shimano spd sl shoes, wouldn't mind trying a pair of Sidi mtb shoes, not sure if I should go for the wider version though, nowhere local to try on a pair unfortunately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

There are 2 types of SPD cleats - SH51 and SH56. One has more float than the other but I can never remember which is which.

I would say that SPD in general are much easier to clip and unclip. Perhaps you hadn't adjusted the tension in the springs. They can be a bit stiffer when new especially when cleats are new also. I use them for commuting and on winter rides with winter boots.

56 are the easier ones in that you can clip out twisting your foot in either direction. 51 you unclip twisting your heel out which is more sensible as twisting heel in can leave your heel in the spokes. With loose tension they're very easy to get in and out of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

Brian? wrote: »

i tried ordering them shoes but i cant check out? how did you get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tomtomfoolery

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'm going to try a set of those Xt pedals, just what I'm looking for.

Undecided on shoes, I've had Shimano spd sl shoes, wouldn't mind trying a pair of Sidi mtb shoes, not sure if I should go for the wider version though, nowhere local to try on a pair unfortunately.

i have SIDI road shoes. if they make them in wide fitting, I would go for it. Mine are narrower than Shimano shoes so a wider fitting will give you extra comfort.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Tombom1 wrote: »
    i tried ordering them shoes but i cant check out? how did you get them?

These yellow buttons; Add to basket, Proceed to Basket, Check out. FWIW for double sided commuter SPDs I prefer the 424s as they're grand to use with regular shoes as a flat pedal for short trips. I tried the single sided SPDs with one flat side in the past but always found myself playing pedal lotttery at the lights.

Advertisement