Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Fine Double Yellow Line

• 22-02-2019 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there, i have just moved into Limerick City and have just received a parking ticket for parking on a double yellow line down an alley at the side of my apartment. I was there for a max of 15 mins as i was just moving some stuff up into my new place and someone (as usual) parked in my designated spot outside my apartment. (And the council also seem to want every last detail of your life before you can apply for on street parking)

You're going to have to excuse my ignorance as i am a culchie moving into a city for the first time in my 27 years but there is surely some lee-way considering i was there for so little time and it was out of the way of everything?

Anyway cheers for any replies, just want to know my options before i give the government another cent

(Edit: It is a yellow ticket with "fixed charge offence" written on it and was attached to my wiper

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I am hoping someone has had a good experience as it would be a lot handier than travelling to Tipp town or Ennis for a certified centre.

You were unfortunate to get nabbed but parking on a double yellow line is a pretty blatant transgression. Take a note of the reg numbers of cars that park in your designated space and report them to the management company of your building or the Gardai.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

As above. Though luck. You were on the double yellow and you were caught. Double yellows aren't unique to cities and I'm sure they also exist in small towns and villages near where you're from. It's zero tolerance. If a warden passes when you're parked on one, you're getting a ticket. Pay up, move on and report the other illegal parkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

So weird you got a ticket. I thought parking wardens in Limerick were specifically instructed to not enforce the law when it comes to parking on yellow lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

As above. Though luck. You were on the double yellow and you were caught. Double yellows aren't unique to cities and I'm sure they also exist in small towns and villages near where you're from. It's zero tolerance. If a warden passes when you're parked on one, you're getting a ticket. Pay up, move on and report the other illegal parkers.

So why do traffic wardens ignore people illegally stopped on William Street because they are lazy ****s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

intimidated ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

So why do traffic wardens ignore people illegally stopped on William Street because they are lazy ****s.

I don't know do they actually ignore them or just not on the street often enough to patrol it properly.

Recently, I saw a car near the new Credit Union on William St being moved on by a traffic warden, the car pulled out but pulls back in again near Carews, the warden walks up to him and as gets close the car moves again, the warden stands and watches but the driver pulls in again, this time double parked near Foxes Bow, the warden used his handheld device to take a photo of the car. I'm not sure can/did he issue a ticket but the driver deserved one if the warden issued one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

So weird you got a ticket. I thought parking wardens in Limerick were specifically instructed to not enforce the law when it comes to parking on yellow lines.

Only on William Street outside Dealz:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You're either not from here...or have led a very sheltered life ;)

(or else, you actually know exactly why they ignore the Majority of Cars Double-parked on William street, and are just venting)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    You're either not from here...or have led a very sheltered life ;)

(or else, you actually know exactly why they ignore the Majority of Cars Double-parked on William street, and are just venting)

Tell us oh wise one, why do they ignore cars parked illegally on William Street?

I see it at least once a week, 5 cars blocking both lanes randomly up the street with their hazard lights on and the warden walks past and ignores them.

The only time I see them inspect cars is up by the peoples park, in cars parked properly in spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

John_Mc wrote: »
    The only time I see them inspect cars is up by the peoples park, in cars parked properly in spaces.

This is nonsense or else you spend the majority of your time up by the park - walk the city most days and you'll cars being ticketed or ones that have been ticketed.

The main issue I have with the wardens is that they're not around on Sundays or after 6ish - there needs to be a clampdown on drivers parking in bus stops, on pavements, taxi ranks, blocking traffic lanes, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

OP, you've no leeway I'm afraid.

And William Street is a disaster. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

phog wrote: »
    This is nonsense or else you spend the majority of your time up by the park - walk the city most days and you'll cars being ticketed or ones that have been ticketed.

The main issue I have with the wardens is that they're not around on Sundays or after 6ish - there needs to be a clampdown on drivers parking in bus stops, on pavements, taxi ranks, blocking traffic lanes, etc.

Exactly - saw one of them on Henry st in full wet gear checking cars

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Precedens

Sorry for my ignorance, but how can you say it's zero tolerance while everyone parks on double yellows? Literally everywhere I go yellows are taken, people don't even mind parking on bus stops and less than 5m to zebras. OP was just unlucky with overzealous council employee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Precedens wrote: »
    Sorry for my ignorance, but how can you say it's zero tolerance while everyone parks on double yellows? Literally everywhere I go yellows are taken, people don't even mind parking on bus stops and less than 5m to zebras. OP was just unlucky with overzealous council employee.

Just because you don't get caught, doesnt mean it's not zero tolerance. It's illegal to park there. If a warden sees a car on double yellow line, he'll ticket it. That's not being overzealous, it's doing your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Precedens

Just because you don't get caught, doesnt mean it's not zero tolerance. It's illegal to park there. If a warden sees a car on double yellow line, he'll ticket it. That's not being overzealous, it's doing your job.

You are correct, I should rephrase it. Out of thousands of cars that all park on yellows in Limerick he was unlucky enough to get ticket.

Advertisement