Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ComReg's Mobile Coverage Map

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Is this another one "for illustrations purpose" ?

With Three my home location shown as "Good" for 2G, however, i have no coverage in 50% area inside, not even talking about 3G or 4G . The only saver for mid-band is external "hi gain" directional antenna.
    Thanks for post anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Shows my home as being Fringe to Poor for all providers and all Technologies but the fact is that there is no coverage. Fringe coverage would indicate it works at least occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭clohamon

Is this another one "for illustrations purpose" ?

With Three my home location shown as "Good" for 2G, however, i have no coverage in 50% area inside, not even talking about 3G or 4G . The only saver for mid-band is external "hi gain" directional antenna.
    Thanks for post anyway

ComReg's mobile licences only require 'outdoor coverage'.

clohamon wrote: »
    ComReg's mobile licences only require 'outdoor coverage'.
    In real life as i said ... "illustration purposes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

clohamon wrote: »
    ComReg's mobile coverage map is now live.
    https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map

This map is about as useful as giving your granny and echocardiogram to see how your heart is doing.

They didnt go out and measure anything, just guessed what the coverage "should be" based on cells and topology. Waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭clohamon

ED E wrote: »
    This map is about as useful as giving your granny and echocardiogram to see how your heart is doing.

They didnt go out and measure anything, just guessed what the coverage "should be" based on cells and topology. Waste of time.

I understand the plots are based on antennae data, e.g. transmit power, frequency, elevation etc.

Granted it's a desktop exercise, and they're using a basic elevation model rather than a surface model, but it's a start and it standardises measurement across all networks. Eir come out of it quite badly.

Also interesting to know how the description 'fair' and 'fringe' (coverage) compares to the specific measures of compliance in the spectrum licences.

473962.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This from Adrian Weckler in the Indo
    It also only represents an outdoors signal, not one indoors.

However, the map is based on estimates that Comreg has made rather than its own field testing.

The watchdog says that it is relying on data that the mobile operators is supplying to it rather than its own physical trials, as the area to be tested is too large.

“The mast data is coming from the operators,” Comreg commissioner Jeremy Godfrey recently told the Irish Independent when explaining how the map would be calculated.

“Then Comreg’s own analysis will use detailed engineering models to calculate down to cells of ten square metres. The idea is that people can select a place and select a network and it will tell them based on Comreg’s information whether they are likely or unlikely to get coverage there.”
    A Comreg spokesman explained how the measurement is calculated.

“ComReg periodically receives accurate datasets of network architecture from each network operator,” a spokesman said.

“A radio network planning tool is then used to process data and generate coverage predictions in tandem with a digital terrain model provided by Ordinance Survey Ireland along with clutter data from various service providers.”

Also this from Comreg
    ComReg will update the map on a regular basis to reflect changes in predicted coverage as operators expand their networks. ComReg will also launch a mobile phone app for the coverage map in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I can walk down the road to the nearest spot to me that three say I'd have Good coverage and guess what its a no coverage area. If I check the other operators for the same area they are at least a bit more honest and show up as Fringe coverage which at least for Vodafone is true as you can very occasionally get a signal at the same location.

Comparing the operators for areas I know are just phone black spots three seem to be consistently the worst at over stating their coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

my3cents wrote: »
    Comparing the operators for areas I know are just phone black spots three seem to be consistently the worst at over stating their coverage.

Three aren't happy with Comreg's modelling of their coverage
    A spokesperson for Three said that the published map does not fully represent the network’s full coverage map.

“There are some site omissions in Three’s maps, so our full coverage is not accurately represented in a number of areas,” she said. ”We understand that ComReg will address these omissions in the coming weeks. In the meantime, customers can see a list of the omitted areas on our website at www.three.ie/coverage-checker/info.”

Is this "some areas doesn't show appropriate coverage/level" or "some areas show inappropriate coverage/level" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement