Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Nature Pictures I Took Recently - II (Seasonal Photos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭glaswegian

[IMG][/img]50471657413_8403a66111_z.jpgrsz_img_6597 by John Docherty, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]50857295006_0d30222027_z.jpgrsz_img_9509 by John Docherty, on Flickr

I don't know if this counts as a nature picture, i've never seen one before so had to google it, it's a fog bow, it follows the same rules as a rainbow re sunlight and moisture droplets. photographed at Deepwater quay sligo Jan 2020.

50874651903_229d086a1e_z.jpgIMG_0158 by John Docherty, on Flickr

Frosty morning in Doorly park,Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

While dandering on the beach the other day, saw some interesting rock formations/structures, and really got me thinking about the timeline involved to create such shapes and patterns. Really makes you feel insignificant!

[IMG][/img]50909196728_d49a82ae68.jpgRock by S, on Flickr

And then these 2, with incredibly smooth spherical indentations
    [IMG][/img]50910023442_012b9b6892.jpgHollow 1 by S, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]50910024467_fafa4478f4.jpgHollow 2 by S, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭lolie

pottokblue wrote: »
    Lolie a little question what does Bobby like to snack on?? I went for a walk yesterday with some monkeynuts. I sat on a bench where a robin usually frequents. I offered a peanut which he/she picked up and then dropped. Further along the walk I met another robin, this time I peeled and broke up the peanut, the robin came to check the peanut but not eat it. What snacks would you recommend that I bring on my next walk for the robins??
    Apologies for the late reply
    I normally feed them raw porridge, chopped apple, chopped nuts or mixed seed. I've caught it tucking into the mixed grain bread a few times.
    But if anything it seems to eat the raw porridge the most.

TedR wrote: »
    I would say song thrush also.
    Mistle Thrush tend to look a bit paler, even overall tones of gray. The size differential v the local blackbirds etc could be due to the bird puffing itself up against the cold.
    Mistle has white edges to each side of the tail, clearer in flight, but still look to be completely absent here.

Great shots of the friendly robin earlier in thread btw, very cool.

Hmmm, I'm really starting to doubt myself now.
    I sent a query of the rspb uk last week and they replied its a Mistle.
    Here's the other photos of it, i didnt manage to get a frontal photo though.
    IMG-20210203-014038.jpg
    IMG-20210203-014355.jpg

• Advertisement

[IMG][/img]50196203228_ec90a80698.jpgHog by S, on Flickr

Admittedly an old image from last year, but I was using it to try to get an image to embed.
    Successful!

He visited us for a couple of days, kids loved him (or her).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Glaswegian/Bsal love your robin pics, Niman could hogs be my mammal equivalent of robins on tthis thread I'll never get enough pics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Out for a walk at lunch and came across 2 foxes, picture not the greatest as they were a fair bit away. They actually looked like they were playing.

Deadskin a nice picture of the boisterous fox pair playing I'm listening to garden birdsong and it feels like spring in the air!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Saw this skeleton today at the beach.

https://flic.kr/p/2kxMGeM

Is It a lobster?

Actually found out it's a seal.

This piece of skeleton can be seen on the attached diagram, just above it's rear legs/flippers.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Phocid-seal-skeleton-modified-after-Boyle-2005-showing-location-of-possible-cuts_fig3_280265480

And this photo from the other side shows the 3 ribs at the top of that diagram.

https://flic.kr/p/2kz3fs5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

NIMAN wrote: »
    Actually found out it's a seal.

This piece of skeleton can be seen on the attached diagram, just above it's rear legs/flippers.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Phocid-seal-skeleton-modified-after-Boyle-2005-showing-location-of-possible-cuts_fig3_280265480

And this photo from the other side shows the 3 ribs at the top of that diagram.

https://flic.kr/p/2kz3fs5

I was sorely tempted to reply earlier, but didn't, that that must have been a pretty large fish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Out for a walk at lunch and came across 2 foxes, picture not the greatest as they were a fair bit away. They actually looked like they were playing.

Do animals truly play? I suspect they are either training to catch and kill or in this, looking to pull. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

cnocbui wrote: »
    Do animals truly play? I suspect they are either training to catch and kill or in this, looking to pull. ;)

It is training but doesn't mean it is not fun for them. Some species part of it to develop a hierarchy that may last when they are adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

Robin
    ihlMXJt.jpg

Thanks lolie I'll try that on my next walk to that bench as the robin is usually solo there. I have 2 robins that hang out in my garden and at the neighbours but I dont think I'll be able to befriend them like you have with Bobby as I have a ginger cat and theres lots of other birds magpies pigeons... That said I shared a christmas morning hotchocolate with the cat, a fox and robin...

Newwave I like the way your robin side white feathers has this I'm just out of the nest look!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

Thanks lolie I'll try that on my next walk to that bench as the robin is usually solo there. I have 2 robins that hang out in my garden and at the neighbours but I dont think I'll be able to befriend them like you have with Bobby as I have a ginger cat and theres lots of other birds magpies pigeons... That said I shared a christmas morning hotchocolate with the cat, a fox and robin...

Newwave I like the way your robin side white feathers has this I'm just out of the nest look!

Taken 14/1/21. Wind caught his feathers thats what caught my eye and reason I posted. Light not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

A visitor to the garden this morning. Never saw him before.

50857293106_9728ecbedb_z.jpg

50808232977_9f1824cebc_z.jpg[url=https://

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

^^ 2 of my favourite birds.

• Advertisement

50808125246_875b48c4d3_z.jpg

Loch Gill Swan.

50642551651_0398c597d3_z.jpg

Doves on the feeders.

50836021086_fcd00773b1_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

Hmmm, I'm really starting to doubt myself now.
    I sent a query of the rspb uk last week and they replied its a Mistle.
    Here's the other photos of it, i didnt manage to get a frontal photo though.
    IMG-20210203-014038.jpg
    IMG-20210203-014355.jpg[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't have doubted yourself...It is a Mistle Thrush

Glaswegian your doves look like from a Prince MTV video! and I love your robinpic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

A couple of pictures from last October, one of a buzzard that took off just as I was about to take a shot of it. It was being pestered by another raptor, anyone any ideas what the other bird is?

I've seen crows chase off buzzards, but this other bird was smaller, not sure what it is though! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Pic not great, but peregrine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭piwyudo0fhn57b

Beautiful! :)

Glaswegian your doves look like from a Prince MTV video! and I love your robinpic.
    Thanks Pottokblue, it's a pity the feeder was in the way, glad you like the Robin pics, it's near a certainty i'll get a picture of one when i'm out walking, i must have hundreds by now.:)

• Advertisement

50926777807_386c33d141_z.jpgrsz_img_0562 by John Docherty, on Flickr

Advertisement