Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Nature Pictures I Took Recently - II (Seasonal Photos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭glaswegian

50925978443_f85cc917c1_z.jpg

50926791862_908f01d15b_z.jpgrsz_img_0600 by John Docherty, on Flickr

This wee fella was taking a nap on the tree where my feeders hang.

50926800962_999fa17829_z.jpgrsz_img_0559 by John Docherty, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

Robin
    JLXQVot.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Newwave an elegant robin, glaswegian I like your little punk bluetit and your napping fellow post his nutfeast

No Robins but a nice pictures of a kingfisher and flock of Bewickswans turned back on migration due to storm darcy and a heartwarming sleeping squirrel like myself early this morning

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2021/feb/12/the-week-in-wildlife-in-pictures

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Blue Tit in the Willow here in Kerry this afternoon.

c6C1OFP.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

pottokblue wrote: »
    No Robins but a nice pictures of a kingfisher and flock of Bewickswans turned back on migration due to storm darcy and a heartwarming sleeping squirrel like myself early this morning

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2021/feb/12/the-week-in-wildlife-in-pictures

Some amazing looking images there. The Lionfish one is stunning.

50953843276_6e86ff242a_z.jpgrsz_img_0785 by John Docherty, on Flickr

• Advertisement

50953851201_0f17452d1a_z.jpg

50953959737_fe715ab740_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I had a visit from a Red Legged Partridge this morning. The shock when I saw something so stunning waddling around my garden. I got a photo but it's very poor quality - through a window and on a zoomed iPhone lens.

I'm in Co Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I see your partridge and raise you..

On the topic of shock. Feb 2014. Walk up the road and...

Peacock-2.jpg

Full disclosure is that I knew he was in the area, having seen him before, and heard him, as he wasn't exactly quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

Egret in flight
    4xnUiae.jpg

I've not yet passed a peacock on my 5km rambles last time I saw one was last september fota island.

New wave I love your egret in flight his flash yellow feet make him look like a marvel superhero bird

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

pottokblue wrote: »
    I've not yet passed a peacock on my 5km rambles last time I saw one was last september fota island.

New wave I love your egret in flight his flash yellow feet make him look like a marvel superhero bird

It's an absolute mystery how a male peacock ended up wild in rural Tipp. I would desperately like to know the how and the why of it.

I have had a couple of chats with the guy who owns the car in the pic. He said it just turned up in his garden one day as a near chic, many years ago, so he started putting food out and it grew to be something a bit more imposing. It was basically wild wandering the fields and hedges and farm yards in the vicinity. He did feed it regularly.

I might even have a photo somewhere of it standing on a tractor. I would have loved to have been able to get pic of it walking around in snow. It managed to survive 2010 and the beast from the east.

It lived for well over a decade, I would say, but sadly died about a year or so ago.

50324620692_64e207a916_z.jpg

50245505001_f9f4cf55b5_z.jpg

• Advertisement

50471652468_ae474dbf2d_z.jpg

50471625358_282bf0f079_z.jpg

49919881978_3506e9dd0b_z.jpg

glaswegian wrote: »
    50471625358_282bf0f079_z.jpg

Where did you manage to spot this guy, Glaswegian?
    Love your images. Keep them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

What bird is this?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

IrishZeus wrote: »
    What bird is this?
    That's a woodpecker. :)
    50324620692_64e207a916_z.jpg

I absolutely adore this picture. That juvenile robin has gorgeous in-between plumage and the colours around it complement it perfectly, IMO. Plus, look how utterly cute that birdie is! :o

IrishZeus wrote: »
    What bird is this?

It's a Great Spotted Woodpecker. Known to be breeding in parts of Wicklow in recent years.

Thanks HotieMarkii, I saw two birds flitting around the woodland in Slish wood, Sligo, I couldn't make out what they were, they were moving so fast, it wasn't until i pinched out the picture in the camera that i could see what they were.

Thanks HotieMarkii, I saw two birds flitting around the woodland in Slish wood, Sligo, I couldn't make out what they were, they were moving so fast, it wasn't until i pinched out the picture in the camera that i could see what they were.

Wow! They're obviously reaching more western areas of the island now too. That's great. I wonder would it be worth reporting to Birdwatch Ireland? Maybe you've done so already?

• Advertisement

Wow! They're obviously reaching more western areas of the island now too. That's great. I wonder would it be worth reporting to Birdwatch Ireland? Maybe you've done so already?
    I wasn't aware they were scarce in the west, i'm not much of a twitcher tbh, but i like photographing birds, I've heard a Woodpecker drumming in the woods twice in the last week in Doorly park which is adjacent to Sligo town.

Advertisement