Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Nature Pictures I Took Recently - II (Seasonal Photos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭glaswegian

51067106392_f8aaa10df7_z.jpg

51066305843_3d4fc1a202_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

67mQ8jW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

The busy presence of bumblebees has been evident again over the past fortnight on the flowering heathers in the garden. For me, they are always one of the most welcome signs of the arrival of Spring.

attachment.php?attachmentid=547923&stc=1&d=1616540749

I watched this bumblebee emerge slowly from it's little burrow in the ground beside it the other morning. Lovely to see nature waking up again.

attachment.php?attachmentid=547924&stc=1&d=1616540769

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Yippeee Goldfinch8 thanks for sharing your spring starter picture of bumblebee, I got a similar feeling last week when I saw my first butterly and ladybird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Bsal

Fantastic visitor today, a male and female Greenfinch haven't seen any for a few years

51070409818_e27418e5e1_c.jpg

Male Chaffinch looking splendid in his breeding plumage

51071202852_9fc04b34b7_c.jpg

Taken near Dublin airport, camouflaged female Linnet (not the one seen in my garden yesterday)

51001920635_28e87d56b2_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭boccy23

Bsal wrote: »
    Fantastic visitor today, a male and female Greenfinch haven't seen any for a few years

51070409818_e27418e5e1_c.jpg

Male Chaffinch looking splendid in his breeding plumage

51071202852_9fc04b34b7_c.jpg

Taken near Dublin airport, camouflaged female Linnet (not the one seen in my garden yesterday)

51001920635_28e87d56b2_c.jpg

Strange, I have numerous Greenfinches every day. Very funny to watch as they are aggressive little beggars and chase each other off regularly. Where are you? I am in North Kildare.

Also, thanks for the picture of female Linnett. I think I was getting these mixed up with sparrows or yellowhammers due to the streaking. Will have to get the binos out next time to see exactly what is what.

boccy23 wrote: »
    Strange, I have numerous Greenfinches every day. Very funny to watch as they are aggressive little beggars and chase each other off regularly. Where are you? I am in North Kildare.

Also, thanks for the picture of female Linnett. I think I was getting these mixed up with sparrows or yellowhammers due to the streaking. Will have to get the binos out next time to see exactly what is what.

I'm near Swords North Co Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭lolie

Robbie out back earlier. I had feared the worst when i saw what looked like part of a small birds wing on the ground outside the back door a few days ago but he reappeared again the next morning so all is good. I regularly see a kestrel or a sparrowhawk flying about.
    Pics-Art-03-25-07-24-42.jpg

Bobby earlier in the week.
    nor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭CiaranW

I have yet to see a greenfinch. I have five goldfinches that come everyday though which always brings a smile to my face.

• Advertisement

Good to see Bobby and Robbie enjoying the spring, whats an average lifespan for robin 3-5years???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

@lolie: Bobby Looks like he is smiling in that pic.

pottokblue wrote: »
    Good to see Bobby and Robbie enjoying the spring, whats an average lifespan for robin 3-5years???

I've heard its roughly 18 months or so but if they survive the first year then they can live several more years if they dont kill each other or get killed by predators.
    @lolie: Bobby Looks like he is smiling in that pic.

He (im thinking its a he now from all the singing) seems a happy little chap, have heard him singing a few times in the kitchen.

Buzzard

51076127546_56841bea5d_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

lolie wrote: »
    I've heard its roughly 18 months or so but if they survive the first year then they can live several more years if they dont kill each other or get killed by predators.

He (im thinking its a he now from all the singing) seems a happy little chap, have heard him singing a few times in the kitchen.

Apparently most live til 5 or 6 years if they survive the first year. Longest living banded robin on record is 13 years 11 months. Mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

Grey Wagtail in flight
    Ux3wLri.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

Megachile willughbiella (female): Love these beautiful Leaf-cutter bees. I've seen loads in the garden in recent days. I created a solitary bee hotel about two years ago, but had never seen anything go into it in that space of time. However, just this weekend, I saw a female Megachile willughbiella bring leaf cuttings into one of the bamboo burrows. She will create a small package/wrapping from leaf cuttings in which she will lay an egg; she will also deposit pollen within the package before sealing it up. The entrance to the burrow is then sealed up using a round leaf cutting. The pollen left within the leaf package will help feed the larva that will eventually hatch. I had wondered why I was seeing so many holes in the leaves of many of my shrubs and perennials!

48284358976_f3301cf807_b.jpg

48284484772_37b51e01f4_b.jpg

I posted the above in this thread back in July of 2019 (post#220), expressing my delight at seeing solitary bees using a 'bee hotel' I'd built and placed in my garden a couple of years ago. I was looking at images on my camera this morning, which I'd taken last summer, and found the following:

51078297083_3c351ccb16_c.jpg

51079091602_5ae49ffeba_c.jpg

Almost exactly one year later (July, 2020), I'd captured the moment when some of the young Megachile willughbiella started to emerge from their burrows in the 'bee hotel'. In my original post (#220; July 2019), I'd believed the species to be Megachile centuncularis for some reason, but now believe it to be Megachile willughbiella (Willoughby's Leafcutter bee), which is a more commonly seen species here.

Later the same day, some of the young M. willughbiella were seen foraging on Oxeye Daisy flowers in my garden:

51078297143_25e8612acd_c.jpg

A male Megachile willughbiella, foraging on Echinacea blossom in my garden in the summer of 2018. The males are more easily distinguishable because their front tarsi are whitish and expanded (not seen in this image):

49731435317_e087c9fc3a_c.jpg

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Apparently most live til 5 or 6 years if they survive the first year. Longest living banded robin on record is 13 years 11 months. Mad!

Mad indeed, i think i read somewhere a while back about a Robin that lived for 19 years but I'd find that very heard to believe.
    He seemed happy out today, singing all evening despite the wind and rain.
    Pics-Art-03-28-11-18-05.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Merlin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Merlin
    Think that might be a Kestrel.....

Think that might be a Kestrel.....

It's a close call, I still think it's a Merlin :pac:

From Birdwatch Ireland website, one of the pictures there would make you think it's a Kestrel. I have seen it a few times over the last week or so, will try get better pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

That is a kestrel alright.

Yeah, a Kestrel. The barring on the tail and the mark on the cheek is a giveaway.

Yeah, a Kestrel. The barring on the tail and the mark on the cheek is a giveaway.

I though the 6 bars on the tail are present in a female Merlin too?

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I though the 6 bars on the tail are present in a female Merlin too?

Not the number of bars as such, but the spacing. The Kestrel's tail bars are narrower.

50999401299_62847ac9cd_z.jpg

51084418282_7df0281e37_z.jpg

51084325041_c31bd6b085_z.jpg

• Advertisement

My first time seeing a Raven, saw a pair doing tumbles and calling very loud.

51084463632_03099ffcfa_c.jpg

Advertisement