Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom outgoing mail server

Options
  • 22-02-2019 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

My eircom.net email is through Outlook Express. Due to location, I am using a local independent ISP. They are no longer providing service to their outgoing mail server. Is there any way, I can use another mail server as I wish to continue using Outlook and the eircom.net email?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Use the webmail ?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭bog master

Hi

I have tried to log in to web mail and I get this:

For security reasons, access to eircom net webmail is not available from your present location. Subscription customers may however access their mail using a POP mail client using their email username and password and pop mail server setting 'mail1.eircom.net'."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Out of curiosity, who is your ISP?

Start transitioning away from eircom.net before it dies a death.

See
    For Gmail
    https://www.redstampmail.com/resourc...il/eircom.net/
    For Outlook.com
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...a-523aa743f0ba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Maybe try a VPN?

I've an old eircom email address and I've just logged into the webmail it from my phone without any trouble at all. I'm with 3.

Out of curiosity, who is your ISP?

Start transitioning away from eircom.net before it dies a death.

See
    For Gmail
    https://www.redstampmail.com/resourc...il/eircom.net/
    For Outlook.com
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...a-523aa743f0ba

ISP is Iveragh Broadband. I do have hotmail(outlook) and gmail accounts. Its just I have used this for near 20 years for business only and also prefer using Outlook Express/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

If you have a gmail account, then you can add the "eircom.net" account to gmail and still send or receive email from your eircom.net account there!

In gmail, go to Settings (the little cog icon near the upper right corner), then "Accounts an Import", and fill in the details for your eircom.net account on the "Send email as" and "Check email from other accounts" sections.

bog master wrote: »
    ISP is Iveragh Broadband. I do have hotmail(outlook) and gmail accounts. Its just I have used this for near 20 years for business only and also prefer using Outlook Express/
    Don't tell me that your run on Win95/98 :D

If your ISP doesn't support outgoing server, its down to "make choice". Your options are:
    1. move location
    2. change ISP
    3. other, listed above

Don't tell me that your run on Win95/98 :D

If your ISP doesn't support outgoing server, its down to "make choice". Your options are:
    1. move location
    2. change ISP
    3. other, listed above

Windows 7-tried 10 but went back. Ehmmm moving is not an option, happy with ISP and dont have much choice.

Linked to Gmail, but will not recognize eircom.net for outgoing. So I am back to square one, receive eircom emails on Gmail, but cannot send out as eircom or as the original, receive on eircom/Outlook Express but being unable to send.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm in OH's house at the moment and I can access Eir's webmail on his Vodafone broadband. I've just deleted a load of 10-year-old emails :D It's very strange that you can't access the webmail using your ISP. Perhaps you should talk to them and see if they know anything about this.

I'm a little surprised you've been able to send emails using a non-eircom ISP. One thing I remember from my eircom email address days is that I couldn't send anything from Outlook Express when I was using a different ISP. It was deliberately set up that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i was using outlook for years with Eircom.net until my laptop broke ,but then found Mozilla Thunderbird, very easy to set up and use and very similar to outlook.

• Advertisement

Problem is not mail client.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

I've had an eircom.net address for the last 15 or 20 years. I switched ISP a few years back and everything was fine until about a year ago. Tried to send an e-mail one day and it wouldn't send. My son is a computer scientist so I asked him if he could figure out what was wrong. After an hour or so of messing with settings and suchlike he couldn't get it working. He then spent the next 2 1/2 hours on the phone between eircom and Virgin with both sides blaming the other. Never got it sorted. I can recieve emails on eircom.net but can't send any. I've had to set up a g-mail address in order to reply to emails. Pain in the effin arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is a free Google SMTP service, you have to have a Google userid and password and you supply these along with the SMTP server name smtp.google.com in your e-mail client - Outlook/Thunderbird or whatever.

https://www.siteground.com/kb/google_free_smtp_server/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

coylemj wrote: »
    There is a free Google SMTP service, you have to have a Google userid and password and you supply these along with the SMTP server name smtp.google.com in your e-mail client - Outlook/Thunderbird or whatever.

https://www.siteground.com/kb/google_free_smtp_server/

And you can use this with any non gmail account in Outlook as a SMPT once you have a gmail account ?

worded wrote: »
    And you can use this with any non gmail account in Outlook as a SMPT once you have a gmail account ?

That's the idea, yes.

I have been sending and receiving on eircom.net since approx 2011 when I moved and had to give up Eircom as ISP. I used Meteor on a dongle and Three on a dongle and my current ISP. When I commenced with my current ISP, they gave me their outgoing mail server details but I continued to use Eircom to receive under POP3 mail1.eircom.net I was notified last month that the ISP would no longer support outgoing mail.

" Why are we ceasing our outgoing mail server?
    SMTP servers (using Port 25) are becoming a common target for email spammers, so it is now best practice for Internet Providers to discontinue providing an SMTP server while also blocking traffic on Port 25. Larger operators, including Vodafone, have recently shut down their SMTP server in line with this new industry security standard.

"

bog master wrote: »
    I was notified last month that the ISP would no longer support outgoing mail.

See post #14

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Gmail won't use eir's SMTP server because it doesn't support the right type of encryption (or any encryption if I remember correctly). Other providers may have the same issue.

The solution is to use GMail's SMTP server for outgoing mail. On some systems you mail will show up as coming from your eirvom address and on others it will show as "From ...@gmail.com on behalf of ...@eircom.net"

You can still use outlook with this system by having Gmail download your mail from eircom and then have outlook collect if from Gmail. Then direct outlook to send outgoing mail through Gmail as above.

I have this system working for years and it has the bonus of using GMail's spam filters too. The downside is that gmail doesn't check the incoming POP3 at regular intervals - it decides its own interval based on predicted use - so at times it could be 30 mins or an hour after a person sends it before you get an incoming mail.

Gmail won't use eir's SMTP server because it doesn't support the right type of encryption (or any encryption if I remember correctly). Other providers may have the same issue.

The solution is to use GMail's SMTP server for outgoing mail. On some systems you mail will show up as coming from your eirvom address and on others it will show as "From ...@gmail.com on behalf of ...@eircom.net"

You can still use outlook with this system by having Gmail download your mail from eircom and then have outlook collect if from Gmail. Then direct outlook to send outgoing mail through Gmail as above.

I have this system working for years and it has the bonus of using GMail's spam filters too. The downside is that gmail doesn't check the incoming POP3 at regular intervals - it decides its own interval based on predicted use - so at times it could be 30 mins or an hour after a person sends it before you get an incoming mail.

This sounds like exactly what I am looking for. Could you please explain a bit further on the steps to take for the non tech person I am?

Thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Yeah. It's a little messy to set up but works well once in place:

1. Sign up for a new gmail account.

2. Once in gmail go to Settings>Accounts and Import

3. Inside this part of settings you need to set up the "Send mail as:" option and the "Check email from other accounts:" option. There is a step by step process for each. Bit too long to go into here but it should make sense. In summary:

a. For sending you put in google's SMTP server but your eircom address as the return address.
    b. For checking you just put in details of the eircom address exactly the same as currently in your outlook settings.

4. You then remove the eircom address from outlook (I wouldn't delete if for now - just stop it from checking automatically) and start a new profile.

5. You set up a new profile in outlook to connect to the new gmail account. (Google "Outlook settings for Gmail" or something similar) and then you can pretty much use it as before and pretend that gmail isn't there at all. The only reason that you would need to log in to gmail is to periodically check the spam.

You'll find a lot of advice on the net about how to use gmail with an external POP3 server to flesh out the above and drop me a PM if you're really stuck - although it has been a little while since I set it up myself!

N.B. - One of the most important things to decide is whether gmail deletes the mail from the eircom server as it downloads it and this will depend on whether you are checking from multiple places or not.

• Advertisement

Yeah. It's a little messy to set up but works well once in place:

1. Sign up for a new gmail account.

2. Once in gmail go to Settings>Accounts and Import

3. Inside this part of settings you need to set up the "Send mail as:" option and the "Check email from other accounts:" option. There is a step by step process for each. Bit too long to go into here but it should make sense. In summary:

a. For sending you put in google's SMTP server but your eircom address as the return address.
    b. For checking you just put in details of the eircom address exactly the same as currently in your outlook settings.

4. You then remove the eircom address from outlook (I wouldn't delete if for now - just stop it from checking automatically) and start a new profile.

5. You set up a new profile in outlook to connect to the new gmail account. (Google "Outlook settings for Gmail" or something similar) and then you can pretty much use it as before and pretend that gmail isn't there at all. The only reason that you would need to log in to gmail is to periodically check the spam.

You'll find a lot of advice on the net about how to use gmail with an external POP3 server to flesh out the above and drop me a PM if you're really stuck - although it has been a little while since I set it up myself!

N.B. - One of the most important things to decide is whether gmail deletes the mail from the eircom server as it downloads it and this will depend on whether you are checking from multiple places or not.

I wont be able to have a go at this until tomorrow, but do appreciate your time and advice. Will let you know how I get on and again many thanks!!!!

Instruction by google themselves, doesn't cover outlook part.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?hl=en

Do not touch your current eir in outlook just in case not to temper with mail (data) ready there.

Instead, create new profile in outlook, name it distinctively, select "Always use this profile" this new profile from drop-down. This way your original profile (data) will still be available to revert to.

Advertisement