Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eden Resort Albufeira - My Review

Options
  • 22-02-2019 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭

As it happens, just came back from a week there yesterday! Weather first few days was great - 20C and sunny. Monday was rain all day. Tuesday and Wed nice and sunny, but cool when out of the sun in the afternoon.

In terms of the resort itself:
    Location: it IS a little bit out alright. From the door to the old town square is about a 25 minute amble with kids stopping at shops etc. If you walk via the (sort of) park rather than the dual carriageway (they're parallel) there is a playground and various bits to entertain the kids on the way. We walked in a few times and got an Uber back. First time using Uber and recommend it. Never waited more than 5 minutes. Fare from Spar at the start of the old town to Eden was less than €3. Wouldn't really recommend walking back with kids - it's uphill all the way, and the last 10 mins or so are quite steep.

Shopping etc: there is a small shop on site with limited stock. Prices higher than elsewhere but not as bad as expected. There's a Pingo Doce supermarket at the first roundabout towards town about 10 mins walk away. Watch out for the uphill climb back though! There's also a couple of Pizza / pastry restaurants there too. About a 5 min walk away to the left is Restaurant a Cocheira - we had planned to go there but didn't, but it seems to get very good reviews.

Pools etc: three outdoor pools. One large one for adults only at the 'back' of the resort. A large one in the middle with kids pool too and big bar / coffee shop (closed until April I think?) - this is closed off at the moment for works. Another large + kids one with a small bar only open July August I think. In the middle is a small playground suited to younger kids and a kids club which is supposedly summer only but was open the last few days we were there. There's also a little stream with a bridge from where kids can watch the loads of fish there swimming (mine loved this!). One indoor pool - small and not exactly balmy warm.

Accommodation: we had a 2 bed villa. Very spacious. A/C in living room and each bedroom. Wifi fine but TV needs to be on for it. Very limited English language TV channels - kids channels were all in Portuguese. Kitchen fairly well equipped but absolutely no 'bits and pieces' - no dishwasher tabs, cloths or even a brush. Beds not great and pillows poor.

Bars / restaurants: besides the pool ones above, the rest is concentrated around reception. There's a large restaurant where breakfast / lunch / dinner is served (only open for those). Alongside, there is the Kiosk cafe bar open 10.00 - 23.00 serving coffee / soft drinks / booze in plastic cups and a limited snack menu (burgers etc). Upstairs is the Apple bar open 16.00 - 24.00 serving drinks only - in glasses and can't be taken out.

Food: the restaurant food was "OK". Nothing especially wrong with it but was very bland and very samey from day to day. We were all inclusive but after a couple of days we got very sick of it. Just about managed a week and wouldn't do it for two weeks. Surprisingly limited kids options too. Only got food from the snack bar once - couple of hot dogs for the kids. For all inclusive, food (outside of main meal times) is limited to 1.5hrs each in the morning and afternoon.

All inclusive: first time doing it and a very popular option here. As above, the food didn't exactly impress - however, given that the restaurant was reasonably busy at times in Feb, I can't imagine it would be anything other than crazy busy in summer. Same with the bars - they're small service areas and I suspect you could be waiting quite a while for your free food / drinks in summer!

Any other questions, just let me know.

Advertisement