Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi Viz Durable handle bar tape

Options
  • 22-02-2019 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for Hi Viz Durable handle bar tape I've used foam for the last few times on commuter bike and its not great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what do you mean by hi-vis? reflective, or just bright colours?
    i got some bontrager tape, identical colour to the one you linked, for about half the price in duff cycles in santry.

I didn't realised reflective was even a thing! Makes sense I guess. Similar to the retro-reflective jacket etc.

What's a the best reflective tape?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

couldn't tell you, i've never actually seen it in the flesh. i suspect it'd get grubby, and the idea of reflective surfaces where you place your hands seems a little counterproductive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....i got some bontrager tape, identical colour to the one you linked, for about half the price in duff cycles in santry.
    .....but fizik bar tape seems to repel dirt - unlike all the other brands.

• Advertisement

couldn't tell you, i've never actually seen it in the flesh. i suspect it'd get grubby, and the idea of reflective surfaces where you place your hands seems a little counterproductive.

Yea seems the reviews are mixed - https://road.cc/content/review/6897-cinelli-reflective-glow-bar-tape

Might just get the fizik in orange! I guess its the lights job to ensure visibility (from the front anyways).

what do you mean by hi-vis? reflective, or just bright colours?
    i got some bontrager tape, identical colour to the one you linked, for about half the price in duff cycles in santry.

By the way is OK for mod to promote a shop they're associated with? Seems a conflict of interest?!

yeah, it would be a conflict of interest, if i was in any way associated with them.

When I first saw the pictures linked in this post,

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109444486&postcount=9170

I thought the poster had spent mega backs on a nice bike with horrible white tape and saddle at first glance but the tape is actually grey until there is light on it

It goes for about 40 sterling https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/14446/2019-s-wrap-hd-handlebar-tape/

Likely find it a bit cheaper or a simiar product elsewhere though.

yeah, it would be a conflict of interest, if i was in any way associated with them.

Ok. "i got some" as in past tense, I thought initially you meant I got some to sell, as in the colloquial. Thanks for the clarification.

• Advertisement

aha, that makes sense.

FWIW, this is what it looks like on the bike. i wanted to pick up the orange accents on the frame, and not have the whole bike looking black, rather than specifically something that was hi-vis.

473852.jpg

this is the stuff:
    https://www.thebikefactory.co.uk/product/A7013/bontrager-gel-cork-handlebar-tape-orange/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Also, having a source of glare right under your eyes probably not a good idea.

I've never come across reflective bar tape. You can definitely get reflective bar end plugs. I have them, but they're not much use. They look quite nice though.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Also, having a source of glare right under your eyes probably not a good idea.

I've never come across reflective bar tape. You can definitely get reflective bar end plugs. I have them, but they're not much use. They look quite nice though.

I suspect its like those jackets, where by unless you're directly beside the emitting light source you're OK (no glare), so apart from street lamps it would be OK.

I guess there's that burning ball in the sky during the day, but relatively the luminance of the surroundings would drown out the reflection I suspect, worth an experiment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I sometimes do get dazzled by the low sun reflecting off stripes on hiviz jackets. It's not blinding, but I wouldn't like it shining into my eyes from close quarters. Maybe in practice it never happens, but if it did I assume it would be when the sun was quite high and in front of you, given the angles required to shine into your eyes.

Reflective bar tape does seem to exist though:
    https://www.amazon.com/CXWXC-Reflective-Bicycle-Handlebar-Finishing/dp/B07MN6RJDV?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07MN6RJDV

Went with this in the end; Prologo OneTouch 2 Gel Handlebar Tape Black/Reflective One Size https://www.wiggle.com/prologo-onetouch-2-gel-handlebar-tape/?utm_source=order-processed-sg01-en&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=orders&utm_content=product

Couldn't really justify €40 on bar tape for a commuter bike, and the stuff above looks "tougher" which is something I was looking for too.

72hundred wrote: »
    Went with this in the end; Prologo OneTouch 2 Gel Handlebar Tape Black/Reflective One Size https://www.wiggle.com/prologo-onetouch-2-gel-handlebar-tape/?utm_source=order-processed-sg01-en&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=orders&utm_content=product

Couldn't really justify €40 on bar tape for a commuter bike, and the stuff above looks "tougher" which is something I was looking for too.

Just a bit of an update. This tape is good, hardy and tough wearing it seems. The reflective quality is probably BS. It reflects some what but not the extent that I would get excited about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My Felt VR30 came with reflective bar tape. The tape is black but perforated and there is silver reflective material on the back of the tape which can be seen through the perforations. It works quite well and the whole bar reflects light from cars at night.

Update a few months later, regular use commuting daily and it is holding up very well. Reflective bar of it is minimal and not worth talking about really, but a hardy tape for commuting so happy with that.

Advertisement