Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software

Options
  • 23-02-2019 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Can I ask people out there, what is the best software out there to reduce size but keep quality being the total of 7.7GB to fit on a 4.7GB DVD+R? I want them to all fit on 1 DVD+R. 8 files in total. There AVI files if that helps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Handbrake would be my choice for re-encoding. There's a bit of a learning curve, so check YouTube for some tutorials. It will really depend on what codecs the video/audio is in the AVI container as to whether you'll be able to reduce the file size while keeping the quality.

Failing that, Dual-Layer DVDs hold 8.5GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Handbrake would be my choice for re-encoding. There's a bit of a learning curve, so check YouTube for some tutorials. It will really depend on what codecs the video/audio is in the AVI container as to whether you'll be able to reduce the file size while keeping the quality.

Failing that, Dual-Layer DVDs hold 8.5GB.

Yes I have some dual layer dvd-r, but the only problem is that not all dvd players support dual layer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

reduce size but keep quality

in all honesty it is a trade off of reducing quality when reducing size. there isn't scope to halve the size of a file, keep it in the same format and not reduce quality.

if you look at the tutorials it is spelled out. you use l

Make H264 With Handbrake - Step by Step Guide
    This tutorial assumes you have an HD video file that is 1920x1080 pixels. We will make the frame size a bit smaller, as well as drastically reduce the file size (compared to for example a Pro Res file from Final Cut Pro or Avid).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

leemaree wrote: »
    Yes I have some dual layer dvd-r, but the only problem is that not all dvd players support dual layer

If you want a playable DVD you need DVD authoring software.

DVD uses terrible codecs so you won't get the same quality as the likes of Handbrake can provide but if you only need 90mins of SD content it should be fine. Chances are if your source is AVI its not that great anyways.

Advertisement