Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blessington Lakes

Options
  • 23-02-2019 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Question from a newcomer,
    Clockwise or anti-clockwise, which is the EASIEST direction, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Much of a muchnesss , i regularly do the lakes, mainly from valleymount to Lacken direction, but most people tend to go Lacken to Valleymount direction, I've done both, people have varying opinions, it just seems a different spin if you go opposite to your normal direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

secman wrote: »
    Much of a muchnesss ...
    Yes, horrible in either direction. :(

Yes, horrible in either direction. :(

OP According to WA no easy way, but he just doesn't embrace the lakes like I do :) not enough traffic lights for WA ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

stipes212 wrote: »
    Question from a newcomer,
    Clockwise or anti-clockwise, which is the EASIEST direction, thanks.

Anti-clockwise is probably easier. Go through Blessington and take the left turn a few KM out for Valleymount.

That said, I have only every gone clock wise to Valleymount, not passed it, I think.

It's a lovey scenic route either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

I can do it 1.5 minutes quicker going clockwise .. does that make it easier, probably not, just the climbs are punchier / over shorter that direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yes, horrible in either direction.
    Worst route in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I completely agree with those that think it’s a horrible route. I used to do it a few years back but now I avoid it like the plague.

But to answer the OP, I’d prefer it clockwise. Although a decent argument could be made for getting the Valleymount section out of the way early - a horrible road.

Notwithstanding the above, the scenery is spectacular on a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Best route in Ireland, especially as an entree to Wicklow gap. I do it every Saturday. I never get tired of that first glimpse of the lakes as you crest the brow of the hill heading for Lacken.
    Anticlockwise I find harder - all long shallow drags against the shorter sharper clockwise. Plus you want the prevailing tailwind for going home (to Dublin) on the N81, not the headwind out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Love the road. Best training road in Ireland anti clockwise bar none.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I do it anticlockwise I think it's handier.

Not sure why people are saying it's as terrible route ? Why...

• Advertisement

Embrace the lakes either direction:)

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Love the road. Best training road in Ireland anti clockwise bar none.

No route like it for a power hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Clockwise for me. Might have something to do with only ever trying anti-clockwise with empty legs at the tail end of the Orwell Randonee. With empty legs that road is one tough b*stard.

For me heading out from Tallaght its a good honest workout spin that gets me 70km with a tough midsection and scenery to die for, i find main roads boring :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I live there, for the timebeing anyway.
    I find going from Valleymount to Lacken tougher. Depends on the wind tho.
    The views are great so its always worth it.

listermint wrote: »
    I do it anticlockwise I think it's handier.

Not sure why people are saying it's as terrible route ? Why...

Cos they are whinging gits.
    Its not supposed to be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭youtheman

Are we talking about the 'Lap de Gaps' route including Sally Gap and Wicklow Gap (which I've done twice)? Our club are thinking of going up there some weekend for a nice hilly route, just wondering which one you'd recommend.

youtheman wrote: »
    Are we talking about the 'Lap de Gaps' route including Sally Gap and Wicklow Gap (which I've done twice)? Our club are thinking of going up there some weekend for a nice hilly route, just wondering which one you'd recommend.

Start in blessington village, go thru Manor Kilbride and up to Sally Gap that way, go straight on at the Gap over to Roundwood, go thru Roundwood to Laragh then over Wicklow Gap, take the turn for Valleymount (11km after the summit of Wicklow Gap) and follow thats road to N81 and turn right to head back to Blessington.
    Thats probably about 75km and loads of hills and great views.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Blessington,+Co.+Wicklow/Kilbride,+Co.+Wicklow/Sally+Gap,+County+Wicklow/Roundwood,+Togher+Beg,+Co.+Wicklow/Laragh,+County+Wicklow/Wicklow+Gap,+Brockagh,+County+Wicklow/Valleymount,+Co.+Wicklow/Blessington,+County+Wicklow/@53.1149852,-6.5403838,10.5z/data=!4m50!4m49!1m5!1m1!1s0x48679d206e90e7c9:0xa00c7a99731d540!2m2!1d-6.5340687!2d53.1696579!1m5!1m1!1s0x48679e0a8adcc69f:0x139d75c0e86fb2f2!2m2!1d-6.4669351!2d53.1986734!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867a21de44c48a7:0xde2afce3d7e88c8b!2m2!1d-6.31!2d53.1369!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867a348a0b77727:0xa00c7a997317e60!2m2!1d-6.2241877!2d53.0657875!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867bd81d5050ead:0xa00c7a99731cdf0!2m2!1d-6.3004389!2d53.0089293!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867975e6ef4468d:0x9e7cdd2b377acd5e!2m2!1d-6.3964723!2d53.041774!1m5!1m1!1s0x48679a5bd718f713:0x1800c7a937dfaab0!2m2!1d-6.5250478!2d53.1060864!1m5!1m1!1s0x48679d206e90e7c9:0xa00c7a99731d540!2m2!1d-6.5340687!2d53.1696579!3e1

youtheman wrote: »

The route being discussed here is the from the bridge at back of blessington heading to Lacken, and following lake drive road around by Ballyknockan and up to the T junction, right turn brings to back to Valleymount, follow road which eventually brings you out on to n81 about 3km past blessington , right for Blessington.
    Or the opposite way :)

Commonly known as the lakes spin.

Le Fin

The route being discussed here is the from the bridge at back of blessington heading to Lacken, and following lake drive road around by Ballyknockan and up to the T junction, right turn brings to back to Valleymount, follow road which eventually brings you out on to n81 about 3km past blessington , right for Blessington.

Le Fin

You could stop at the pub in Valleymount, if he ever fecking opened! :P

• Advertisement

Le Fin

Always knew it as "the big lakes". The small one being the other side of the bridge!

fat bloke wrote: »
    Always knew it as "the big lakes". The small one being the other side of the bridge!

The Lakes or the small lakes in our vocabulary ;)

terrydel wrote: »
    You could stop at the pub in Valleymount, if he ever fecking opened! :P

Between that, Lacken and Ballyknockan, you could pass a fine long weekend round the Lakes on a high stool!

fat bloke wrote: »
    Between that, Lacken and Ballyknockan, you could pass a fine long weekend round the Lakes on a high stool!

None of the pubs around here are ever open mate!
    Seriously, the one in valleymount might open sat and sun after 4pm, cullens in ballyknockan is worse. Zellers in lacken might be a bit better but not much.

There is a very special hill on the lake drive that's a full 250m gain over 2.5km.. Last 40% is on a mountain bike thou!

Where is that hill ?

Where is that hill ?

Starting From the laneway under the ballyknockan Inn, head up the lake drive past Cullens pub, continue straight at that crest then follow the road around to the right. Enter the forest and slog away for another 1k to the top..

Here

https://maps.app.goo.gl/yG88p

To

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TCCTg

Totally confused as to where you are saying it is,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

listermint wrote: »
    ....Not sure why people are saying it's as terrible route ? Why...
    For some reason it just sucks the life out of me. I have never enjoyed cycling there and would find it much easier to go over three Alpine passes than do a lap of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

Clockwise for me, I'm fresher for the tougher parts!

Advertisement