Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find a rossover cable in city center?

Options
  • 23-02-2019 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

I need to connect two computers, so I am looking to buy a crossover ethernet cable, preferably in the city center, but seems like computer stores are going out of fashion. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

If I would need to buy one today I'd check Currys/PCWorld in the Jervis center. When I was there a while ago they had all sort of network cables but I am not sure if they also had a crossover cable. A reason not to buy there is the price, they probably charge you EUR 20 or so while online you get it for EUR 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

Haithabu wrote: »
    If I would need to buy one today I'd check Currys/PCWorld in the Jervis center. When I was there a while ago they had all sort of network cables but I am not sure if they also had a crossover cable. A reason not to buy there is the price, they probably charge you EUR 20 or so while online you get it for EUR 2.

Ah, yes. Their prices are ridiculous, but I'll take a gander

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

gagomes wrote: »
    Ah, yes. Their prices are ridiculous, but I'll take a gander
    Good luck with them, last time I was there I needed a voice recorder of which they had 5 in stock. When I was there they did not find it in the store despite they saw it was in stock.

If that does not work and you can't wait for an ebay purchase to arrive, take one old standard network cable that you don't need any more, slice the coating open and cut orange, green, white/green and white/orange wires, then reconnect green to orange and white/green to white/orange connectors. That is all the crossover does anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

What age are these computers? Most modern network cards can do the cross over themselves so you can just use a standard Cat5 cable.

Haven't even seen a crossover cable in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You can also cut a standard cable if you are stuck.

I didn't know that Metric Tensor. Good to know for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if your stuck I can throw one in the post for you but I have heard about that not needing crossover cables on recent systems as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Most recent NIC cards are auto-MDIX - ordinary patch cable should do.
    Set static IP on NIC, ping it one to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Wikipedia
    Gigabit and faster Ethernet links over twisted pair cable use all four cable pairs for simultaneous transmission in both directions. For this reason, there are no dedicated transmit and receive pairs, and consequently, crossover cables are never required for 1000BASE-T communication. The physical medium attachment sublayer (PMA) provides identification of each pair and usually continues to work even over cables where the pairs are unusually swapped or crossed.

Advertisement