Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city council housing

Options
  • 23-02-2019 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Just want to ask how long were you waiting to be housed by cork city council?

I understand the housing crisis at the moment is horrendous 😢

Basically I’m on the list with my two kids 3 years now and I’m living with my parent and she is due to be transferred to an adapted property this year and due to serious circumstance me and my children can’t go with her trying to find a landlord/agency to rent me a home is very hard been looking now for 2 years and no luck never get a phone call back after a viewing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If they were to stop accepting new applications tomorrow and they built no more new houses, it would take 12 years to clear the backlog.

Problem is they are more applications and the number of houses being added are not many.

All in, you could be talking another 4 years. No one knows. You must keep pressing the council on what's going on, and then separately be making plans to eventually being able to paddle your own canoe. Because who knows what will happen. By the time you get to offer stage your income might be above eligibility, or other things might change. Most people by the time they get to offer stage (5-7 years) have actually just moved on with life and managed to sort themselves out. 5-7 years is enough time to make changes and work towards paddling your own canoe.

For those that do remain on the list, one thing that is certain to change is that you house you get won't be for life anymore, so be prepared for that. You'll get it and you'll have to be seen to be making effort to house yourself within 5 years so that another person can take the house you're in and get a start. You could have meetings once every 3 months to assess how you see getting on so that it doesn't come to the end of 5 years only to find out nothing has changed.

As regards what you do today, tomorrow, and next week, have you anyone trusted who can help you in the house search? It's a tough market but you shouldn't be hitting brick walls like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kerriejonesxx

myshirt wrote: »
    If they were to stop accepting new applications tomorrow and they built no more new houses, it would take 12 years to clear the backlog.

Problem is they are more applications and the number of houses being added are not many.

All in, you could be talking another 4 years. No one knows. You must keep pressing the council on what's going on, and then separately be making plans to eventually being able to paddle your own canoe. Because who knows what will happen. By the time you get to offer stage your income might be above eligibility, or other things might change. One thing that is certain to change is that you house you get won't be for life anymore. You'll get it and you'll have to be seen to be making effort to house yourself within 5 years so that another person can take the house you're in and get a start.

As regards what you do today, tomorrow, and next week, have you anyone trusted who can help you in the house search? It's a tough market but you shouldn't be hitting brick walls like that.

Thanks for the advice and I have been in contact with threshold and also focus Ireland for a hand hopefully they will help me in my search

I have never heard of that you must be making an effort within 5 years in a council property to house yourself is it newly out?

I’ll just have to keep putting the pressure but I feel as if their is other people in more need than I am for an accommodation so I don’t want to be sounding selfish to them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Thanks for the advice and I have been in contact with threshold and also focus Ireland for a hand hopefully they will help me in my search

I have never heard of that you must be making an effort within 5 years in a council property to house yourself is it newly out?

I’ll just have to keep putting the pressure but I feel as if their is other people in more need than I am for an accommodation so I don’t want to be sounding selfish to them

It's not a rule now at all. And it may never be a rule. It's just my reading of the way the policy is going. Ireland is a different type of economy and country now. The next batch of decision makers coming up have no interest in this country providing mass council homes for life.

Do keep putting on the pressure. You have to keep persevering. I would love to see Choice Based Letting in this country where if you heard a property was free ring them and tell them you'll take it. These people are slow workers and you need to put a rocket under them. Their sense of urgency will never match your sense of urgency, so keep them working and sweating and take the Threshold help.

Edit: Just to say to you, I'm in Dublin, but from Limerick and I know Cork. My sister got a council house literally 2 months ago in Cork city. She has two kids that are autistic and medical priority and she was waiting 4 years in total. It was a hard time up until then but she has some stability now. So have faith, you'll get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

myshirt wrote: »

Do keep putting on the pressure. You have to keep persevering. I would love to see Choice Based Letting in this country where if you heard a property was free ring them and tell them you'll take it. These people are slow workers and you need to put a rocket under them. Their sense of urgency will never match your sense of urgency, so keep them working and sweating and take the Threshold help.

Choice based letting already exists in Cork. Are you aware of this OP ? Go to the Cork City Council Housing Section on their website and it's all explained there. It greatly improves your chances and shortens the waiting time as only a number of people will apply for each house and it will be allocated to one of those. No guarantees but it's an avenue worth checking out.

Choice based letting already exists in Cork. Are you aware of this OP ? Go to the Cork City Council Housing Section on their website and it's all explained there. It greatly improves your chances and shortens the waiting time as only a number of people will apply for each house and it will be allocated to one of those. No guarantees but it's an avenue worth checking out.

Hi thanks I am aware if it I bid every single week regardless of where the house is it looks like a home is a home

Also some people may say CBL is only a set up to keep people away from the city hall don’t know how true that is but I will be still bidding every week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

I really feel bad for people waiting for a home on the housing list these days and think of how much easier it seemed to be in the 1970’s/1980’s. Example My wife and I applied for a Corporation house in late 1979 (new born baby) got Corpo flat in Mayfield in 1981. Had a second child in May 1984 given Corpo House in October Of the same year. My point is that it was a poor Country back then and I can’t empathize that enough, but the Cork Corporation we’re building over 400 houses every year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Chestvalve

Have another child op is the best way to get a house. Having a new born the council will feel the squeeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Fastidious

Chestvalve wrote: »
    Have another child op is the best way to get a house. Having a new born the council will feel the squeeze.

Person genuinely looking for support in dire need of empathy and you managed to be a ****. Congrats!

Fastidious wrote: »
    Person genuinely looking for support in dire need of empathy and you managed to be a ****. Congrats!

Their is always a troll somewhere and I don’t take notice of negitive comments from unsupportive people

Advertisement