Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales v England

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Incredible.

He gets away with it time after time, this is a common story on the rugby websites.

I find it incredible, when a simple google search shows the frequency of his dirty play, that people still defend him. We might disagree with the current rule set, but rules are rules and they should apply to everyone equally.

It doesn't help when Eddie Jones defends him by having a pop at Sexton's preferential treatment by Refs, real playground stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    He gets away with it time after time, this is a common story on the rugby websites.

I find it incredible, when a simple google search shows the frequency of his dirty play, that people still defend him. We might disagree with the current rule set, but rules are rules and they should apply to everyone equally.

It doesn't help when Eddie Jones defends him by having a pop at Sexton's preferential treatment by Refs, real playground stuff.

Because rugby websites are all fair and unbiased 🀣

Yes he has done some dodgy/illegal tackles in his career. And he has gotten away with some. I just don't think he is a dirty player. The same as I don't think SBW, Kaino, Earls or Healy are dirty players. You just seem to hate Farrell. I would say he is no dirtier than Sexton.

Everyone has their own opinion, I was pointing out my view, and mentioned the sites/media to demonstrate I am not alone. Irish players talk openly about how Farrell hits late and boarder line.

Earlier on Hartley was mentioned as a comparison, when in fact Farrell has a higher yellow card/starts count than Hartley (Internationals).

I obviously think Farrell is a great talent, but I find his great play too often overshadowed by late and illegal hits.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Everyone has their own opinion, I was pointing out my view, and mentioned the sites/media to demonstrate I am not alone. Irish players talk openly about how Farrell hits late and boarder line.

Earlier on Hartley was mentioned as a comparison, when in fact Farrell has a higher yellow card/starts count than Hartley (Internationals).

I obviously think Farrell is a great talent, but I find his great play too often overshadowed by late and illegal hits.

I get that it's your opinion. I think your opinion is wrong. Have you got some stats? Some quotes? Hartley has missed a season and a half in suspension. Is Farrell comparable?

Also, you didn't answer my question.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I get that it's your opinion. I think your opinion is wrong. Have you got some stats? Some quotes? Hartley has missed a season and a half in suspension. Is Farrell comparable?

Also, you didn't answer my question.

What question were you referring to ?

That's fine, its an opinion, and ditto I think you are wrong. Rather than me post endless links just use google yourself, I put a few below.

Note I have obviously seen far worse, but its his consistency, every game, same tackles...

http://stats.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/records/player/most_yellow_cards.html?id=1;type=team

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/wallabies-denied-blatant-penalty-try-owen-farrell-survives-latest-tackle-controversey-185924

https://www.the42.ie/england-south-africa-november-4321154-Nov2018/

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/england-s-joe-marler-and-owen-farrell-cited-for-foul-play-1.2624132

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/1109/1009855-owen-farrell-tackle-odriscoll-ireland-sexton-jones/

Because rugby websites are all fair and unbiased 🀣

Yes he has done some dodgy/illegal tackles in his career. And he has gotten away with some. I just don't think he is a dirty player. The same as I don't think SBW, Kaino, Earls or Healy are dirty players. You just seem to hate Farrell. I would say he is no dirtier than Sexton.

I remember Sexton's swinging arm/high shot on Beauden Barrett as he scored in 2016 barely got a mention. Imagine if Farrell had done the same....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Probably because Barrett scored. It doesn't excuse the swinging arm, but it does tend to distract from it, and if Barrett hadn't scored, should have been a penalty try.

I'll be honest, I've long held the belief that Farrell had something that goes beyond 'edge' to him. Particularly early in his career there was often incidents that were, while not always that bad, a little bit unsavoury. Late hits, shoulder hits, generally being a **** etc. It was more than occasional.

To his credit, he seems to have left that behind him, and good on him for it. The shoulder tackles in last seasons AIs ... obviously should have been punished, but now he seems to have a far better idea of where the line is and sticks to it. He's growing on me a lot, and I ****ing hate admitting it.

As for the difference between him and Sexton, obviously I'm biased. I think Sexton didn't have the nasty tint to his game in any way approaching the same level. I can think of a few incidents, the ROG shout early on if that counts, the kick at Mafi and maybe, maybe, the Carbery incident in the latest Munster game. He's a cranky ****, particularly these days, but he's by and large been on the right side of the laws. Particularly when you consider how he plays the game and how many borderline late hits he cops (as a result of how he plays the game - that's his choice).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

The touch judges aren’t aggressive enough in calling offside and it’s choking space for the attacking team. I’d like to see the TMO authorized to get involved as well.

Probably because Barrett scored. It doesn't excuse the swinging arm, but it does tend to distract from it, and if Barrett hadn't scored, should have been a penalty try.

I'll be honest, I've long held the belief that Farrell had something that goes beyond 'edge' to him. Particularly early in his career there was often incidents that were, while not always that bad, a little bit unsavoury. Late hits, shoulder hits, generally being a **** etc. It was more than occasional.

To his credit, he seems to have left that behind him, and good on him for it. The shoulder tackles in last seasons AIs ... obviously should have been punished, but now he seems to have a far better idea of where the line is and sticks to it. He's growing on me a lot, and I ****ing hate admitting it.

As for the difference between him and Sexton, obviously I'm biased. I think Sexton didn't have the nasty tint to his game in any way approaching the same level. I can think of a few incidents, the ROG shout early on if that counts, the kick at Mafi and maybe, maybe, the Carbery incident in the latest Munster game. He's a cranky ****, particularly these days, but he's by and large been on the right side of the laws. Particularly when you consider how he plays the game and how many borderline late hits he cops (as a result of how he plays the game - that's his choice).

That's pretty much exactly what I meant, I wish I said it as well.

Its not the severity of the incidents its the frequency, its seems like it was a standard part of his arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Not one for stats .... but interestingly ..... the England front five [together] carried the ball for only 7 metres ..... [Source ScrumV] ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Not one for stats .... but interestingly ..... the England front five [together] carried the ball for only 7 metres ..... [Source ScrumV] ....

Quite impressive. Moon only had 1 carry the whole game, they really missed Mako's engine.

troyzer wrote: »
    Quite impressive. Moon only had 1 carry the whole game, they really missed Mako's engine.
    Agree ... Mako was a big loss for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Agree ... Mako was a big loss for England.

Edwards deserves a lot of credit, Wales defence on Saturday targeted England’s big ball carriers excellently. Even if Mako was there I’d say they’d have coped. The quick organization to decide if the threat required two tacklers or one was brilliant. Even Billy V couldn’t make headway at all.

They sort of are the northern hemisphere's version of the All Blacks i.e relatively small country with a huge rugby playing population and who are highly successful historically

And the sheep. Don't forget the sheep. :D

I agree with a lot of what you said here. I think early in his career Farrell was a bit of a hothead and would try to be a tough guy. Maybe that had to do with trying to live up to his father's reputation. I think his tackle technique is heavily influenced by growing up in a rugby league environment and he slips back to it when he is trying to make a big play. Those 2 in the AIs should have been penalties (not yellow or red cards though). SBW does this as well. I wouldn't say they were dirty players but they have made some bad hits.

I took umbrage with the poster saying he was a dirty player and his family were dirty. I watched a lot of league when I was younger and Andy Farrell was never considered a dirty player. Hard as nails and brilliant but never heard him called dirty.

Of all the players on the field on Saturday, I think the dirtiest player is Liam Williams.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A very enjoyable game that. It was great to see the Orcs slowed, stopped and eventually repelled.

Of all the players on the field on Saturday, I think the dirtiest player is Liam Williams.

Think you are being a bit hard on Williams there ..... was a bit hot headed when younger but has matured a lot .... has a great attitude now IMO.

Advertisement