Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden badly infested with moss, is there anything that could be done?

Options
  • 23-02-2019 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭

I cut the gardens of a neighbours holiday home.

Went to do first cut on it today, and it's getting very bad with moss.

Large sections are like walking on sponge, and it's damp. I realise it's early in season yet and it may dry out, but I've cut this lawn for several years now and it's getting worse

Is it a major job to make any sort of improvement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Many types of moss killer out there for using on lawn as like this.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/kill-lawn-moss-dish-soap-41529.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Iron sulphate in solution via a sprayer. Hardens the grass. Deepens it's colour and blackens and kills moss. Rake out a few weeks later.

I got mine in powder form from mistral NI.

Read up on it dilution wise and sprayer suitability wise. It's effectively liquid rust so don't get it on concrete or tarmac.

Long term, rid yourself of the conditions that cause the moss, be it damp, shade or skinning your grass too low etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Iron sulphate can be spread in powdered form too, either by hand or with a spreader.

Great stuff, turns the moss black and looks like a bomb site for a while but worth it.

As above, if you get it on concrete or tarmac sweep it off immediately. Also, if you have dogs be careful they don't bring it in on their feet and destroy the sofa as happened a neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I take it iron does no harm to grassy area's?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Just finished watching Monty Don in Japan. They are great lads, love the mossy stuff. And us spending money on snuffing it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Might have a few bald spots where no grass has grown but moss issues are usually with a lawn.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

rake it out and re-seed. Also it's either due to drainage/shade or poor soil nutrients or some combo so expect it to come back unless this is dealt with.

lordgoat wrote: »
    rake it out and re-seed. Also it's either due to drainage/shade or poor soil nutrients or some combo so expect it to come back unless this is dealt with.

Well it ain't my garden, it's up to the neighbours to sort that.

Do you have to kill the Moss before raking it out?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Thatching rake and a lot of hard work. I try not to use any chemicals so wouldn't be my thing. I'm not sure if it would make it easier and it would take a while for it to die as well...

lordgoat wrote: »
    Thatching rake and a lot of hard work. I try not to use any chemicals so wouldn't be my thing. I'm not sure if it would make it easier and it would take a while for it to die as well...

I might just go with this option on my own lawn, I have small areas of moss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement