Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Whitechurch, Rathfarnham

Options
  • 23-02-2019 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

First time buyers currently looking to move to the D.14/16 area. Viewed a nice ex-local authority terraced house today and wanted to get a feel for the area.

I grew up close to it and know that it used to be pretty rough 10/15 years ago, but don't know what it's like now.

Called the local garda station and they said it has settled down a lot and they didn't know of any issues with the area (Glenmore).

Any opinions?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Hi spike, sorry for the very late message.

Like you I grew up in D14 and was always aware that Whitechurch had a bad reputation. I actually purchased a house in Glenmore Park last July and have pretty much nothing bad to say about it. We moved in the weekend of Longitude and I was expecting chaos as the most direct walking route from much of Whitechurch to Marlay park goes right by my house but there were zero problems. I walk from my house through Whitechurch to the Centra regularly at all times of the day or evening and have never had a problem or felt unsafe. We had one incident a few months back where a house in the estate was broken into and a few wheelie bins (including ours) were dragged off an set fire to, but my folks live in the 'nice' part of Rathfarnham and their neighbours have been broken into twice so that's not really any indicator.

Glenmore Park isn't really an area itself, it's just a cul de sac type estate with a throughway for pedestrians. Whitechurch, though next door, is a completely different area. It's still a little bit rough and you get the off scrambler bike on the big green but I'm not remotely worried and haven't been since we moved.

The pub is a kip though - I've been warned off it by locals and lads I know who grew up in the area but it looks awful anyway so I'm not fussed. The Eden is only a 10 minute walk away. Feel free to PM me if you've any more questions, and if you do end up buying let me know - I'd be delighted to get to know some neighbours as mine are a bit older and not particularly interested in us young folk!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I live there it’s grand, not the greatest area around but it’s not as bad as lots would have you believe. As above I’d not be going near the pub. Although I will say you’d be better in one of the small cul de sacs as it’s quieter there. Feel free to pm me for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Idonotknow

Hi, just wondering if you ended up buying there? I am looking at a house in Whitechurch way but now am getting really concerned about what I have read online about the area

Advertisement