Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good anti virus software.

Options
  • 23-02-2019 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend a good anti virus programme?

Don’t mind paying, thanks gents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If you're using Windows 10, just use the free inbuilt virus protection along with Malwarebytes Free, and do a manual Malwarebytes scan once every few weeks. Absolutely fine for a home user.

I'd definitely recommend Avast. I use the free version on all the PCs in the house. No annoying ads asking you to buy paid version.
    Paid version is well worth getting as well as you get lots of additional stuff. But Antivirus is same for both paid and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Happy enough with free avast, computer hasn't blown up yet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Avast free option.

Touch wood, haven't had an issue in several years now.

Cue.... disaster tomorrow lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Use free AVG on all our devices. Occasional self serving ads I can put up with and it works in conjunction with Defender. The best add on is the Adblock plus which works very well.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'd avoid Avast/AVG (same company now). They've both gone downhill in recent years. BitDefender seems to be the popular choice among PC enthusiasts along with Malwarebytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,757 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

been using Norton this past year. It used to be crap but find it great now, so they must have revamped it from ground up. Cheap licenses on Amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Thanks for all the replies.

So hard to know if most are a scam nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,610 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

We use Sophos at work (seems grand in the sense that we don't appear to have virus related problems). At home, I use a paid version of BitDefender (based primarily on reviews) and it seems to be good too. The paid version is also usable on phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

So hard to know if most are a scam nowadays.

None of the software mentioned are scams, but some do carry advertising for their own premium brands. You'd be safe with any of these.... personal preferences really.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

As already stated,
    If using windows 10 then simply use the built in security, no need to install anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    If you're using Windows 10, just use the free inbuilt virus protection along with Malwarebytes Free, and do a manual Malwarebytes scan once every few weeks. Absolutely fine for a home user.

+1 exactly what I do on my Windows 7 laptop (nine years old this April) and it's served me well.

Maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age but I see the antivirus s/w 'industry' as a business built around self-serving scare stories. Thankfully, the media have seen through the fog of fear, uncertainty and doubt and stopped propogating this rubbish. Time was when, on a slow news day, the folk on RTE's Morning Ireland were complete suckers for the next scare story - Good Friday virus, Columbus virus etc. etc. All complete BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Modern operating systems aren't nearly as susceptible to actual viruses as the likes of Windows 2000 and XP were, back in the day. Malware is a much more common issue now, which is where Malwarebytes comes in. Run it alongside the inbuilt protection in Windows 10, as I said, and you're well set.

In any case, the end user is the biggest hazard a computer will face. Nothing will help if someone isn't careful with their browsing habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

just use built in native defender, make sure your firewall is enabled, use 9.9.9.9 for DNS, https://someonewhocares.org/ for your hosts file and run free version of MalwareBytes scans maybe once a month and you are more than enough protected.

Keep your hard earned money for something else.

Best projection however is do not do stupid stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I was looking at the TV listings on tvguide.co.uk and spotted an ad pointing to a website called the top ten antivirus dot com

Looked at the website and was surprised to see an AV product listed as #1 which I had never heard of. McAfee, Norton, AVG and all the usual suspects were listed below the recommended product so it hd the look of an objective ratings table. Then I scrolled down to the foot of the page to see who was behind this evaluation and I clicked on a link: 'advertiser disclosure' only to see this sentence .....

This website is a free online resource to help you make an informed decision when choosing an antivirus software. We receive advertising compensation from many of the antivirus programs featured on this site. The compensation received impacts the location in which companies are listed and in some cases impact the scores to aid this.

So they're admitting that it's simply a table ordered by how much each company paid to be listed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

thats gas.

i googled independent antivirus test, and found site that don't accept payment! :)

like https://www.av-test.org/en/

they clearly explain the critera used, and as expected neither mcafee or norton feature at the top of the table. Both are high enough up the table to show they have upped their game, sure that woudnt be hard.

Advertisement