Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Given an old car

Options
  • 23-02-2019 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

So my wife's brother was given a new car by a relative. They want to now give us their old car (2002 Avensis) to her. She at the moment has a 1998 Corolla which has been well looked after over the years. They're both due the nct soon so the plan was to bring them both through the test and keep the one that passes.

The one problem though, I'd need to drive the brother's car from Dublin to Galway. They already have their new car so the Avenis is sitting in the driveway with only a tax and nct disk.

Is it simple to get insured on it for a short time to get it through the test while the wife still being able to drive the Corolla? What's the best was of doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

If the cars not in your name can you drive it under third party extension?( check your insurance policy)
    ,or do a temp transfer on your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭wandererz

Call up your insurance and adk them to transfer to the new car temporarily.
    They will charge you a fee.
    Not sure if you can give them multiple staggered dates at the same time.

Advertisement