Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed in housing estate

• 24-02-2019 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi what speed are u allow to do in houseing estate 30 km or 50km ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

50 unless there's a sign saying otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 places

50 unless there's a sign saying otherwise.

I was told on a driving lesson 30km I am confused there was no signing saying 30km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

places wrote: »
    I was told on a driving lesson 30km I am confused there was no signing saying 30km

30kmh is safe and sensible but 50kmh is the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council introduced a 30km/h limit in estates about a year or so ago. I'd recommend this speed elsewhere for housing estates as well as you never know what's coming, much higher chance of kids just appearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'd err on the side of caution and do 30 and with care. kids/dogs/cars come out of seemingly nowhere in some estates ive driven through.
    50 while it may be the limit doesnt mean it has to be reached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hi what speed are u allow to do in houseing estate 30 km or 50km ?
    Speed limits are specific to specific places.* In general, follow the last sign you saw, but *always' be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear, but also realise that something may enter that space in the time it takes you to get there, especially in a residential area. In a housing estate, sticking to no more than 30km/h is a good idea.

There are two reasons to stick to a low speed in a housing estate.
    1. It gives you more time to react.
    2. In the event of a collision, the injury and damage will be lower.

* While motorways have a default 120 km/h, national roads 100 km/h, etc., these are just defaults, they can't be relied upon for specific locations. Some motorways have speed limits as low as 30 km/h. https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3195126,-6.3677981,3a,75y,13.81h,83.9t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sGDbUKrgCakdW88LyE-u_VA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DGDbUKrgCakdW88LyE-u_VA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D182.61078%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Some of the 30KPH zones are very badly marked. Err on the side of caution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

There appears to be a new practice in estates of marking the entrance road with a 30kph sign and a yellow warning sign with children playing etc. Sometimes the signs state "home zone" but not always. The speed limit inside these estates is 30kph.

On leaving these estates there should be a 50kph sign allowing you to speed up to that speed. These are often badly done, non existent or hidden behind overgrown bushes etc.

At busy times its best to follow the flow of prevailing traffic and trust that most drivers will know and follow the prevailing speed limit. Don't do this at night as a lot of late night drivers can be test pilots.......in their own minds.

Do not be intimidated into driving faster than you can handle especially if you are a learner or novice driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Roadcraft is a very useful skill to learn in driving and has got me out of many an awkward situation on the road. Always be looking out for signs of children and distracted adults when driving, abandoned toys, tricycles etc are a sure sign of children out and about ready to obstruct the road at a seconds notice. Feet under parked cars is another warning sign to watch out for. Trees on the roadside can hide a running child from view of an oncoming motorist long enough to cause trouble. Rolling footballs on the road are another classic sign of impending trouble. I always look out for people using smart phones or with earphones on while walking, they won't hear your engine as you approach.

At T junctions in quiet areas it was sometimes convenient to listen for approaching traffic before emerging out onto the bigger road, especially if the junction is blind. This is no longer any use since the advent of electric cars since they are so quiet when running......it shows the need to constantly update techniques and road use practice as technologies, laws and customs change with time.

Home zones have been in use in the Netherlands for some years and have the added restriction there in that the pedestrians have the absolute priority on the roads in these zones. They can walk out in front of you at anytime without warning and the car driver has to stop. Cars using the home zones have to thread their way very slowly to their designated parking areas stopping for all pedestrians on the way. Parking on access roads is not allowed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Even before the 30 limit was zoned up my way, you'd be completely irresponsible to think about getting near it, let alone the 50 preceding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

doolox wrote: »
    Rolling footballs on the road are another classic sign of impending trouble.

I still stick by the rule "if a ball rolls out across the road, ignore the ball, and look for the small child running after it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

My instructor told me that the limit is 30 km/h in the housing estates around my test centre (Finglas). There are no speed limit signs anywhere on the streets, but no way would I reach 50 on them. In fact, during a recent mock test/lesson, I wasn't even hitting 30 on a clear straight street in these estates, which got me marked down for progress.

Anyway, for folks in Dublin, here's a document I found recently - https://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/documents/s17195/Draft%20Dublin%20City%20Council%20Special%20Speed%20Limit%20Bye-Laws%202018.pdf.

I found it helpful since it lists every street to which the special limit applies.

Advertisement