Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riat

Options
  • 24-02-2019 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Heading over this year, first time. Solo.

Is 1 day enough or should I go for 2?

If 1 day which day is best?

Any tips for going to see it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

One day is not enough; you'll probably need a day for the statics alone, if you want to have any chance of chatting with the crews and looking inside the open aircraft. Most of the public go on Sat / Sun, though Fri is a little quieter. I'd suggest Fri for the displays and Sat for the statics, to ensure that aircraft are open.

But your main challenge at this point will be finding travel and accommodation. Frankly, it's late in the year for thinking of going to RIAT and I'd encourage you to replan for 2020; if you're travelling to RIAT you really need to have everything booked by the preceding December at the latest.

Yeovilton or Duxford would probably be more achievable for 2019.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

vargoo wrote: »
    Hi,

Heading over this year, first time. Solo.

Is 1 day enough or should I go for 2?

If 1 day which day is best?

Any tips for going to see it?
    2 days required. If you go for a single day you are wasting the opportunity and would need to focus on either flying or static display.

As noted above place will be well booked out Fri/Sat night but I think booking a place nearby for Sunday night to be an idea. You can stay late that day as you aren’t travelling far to bed down.
    I did it in 2014, early flight from Dublin on Saturday, in the gates at 1045.
    left at 5.30pm to stay with family in London. Train from there at 9am, in the gates at 11am.
    Stayed on airfield till 7pm and stayed the night in Swindon.

Advertisement