Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing between Boots and The Crawford

Options
  • 24-02-2019 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Does anybody know what the story with the crossing between Boots and The Crawford is? It is a regular occurance that I see taxi drivers speeding up and getting irate when people walk out in front of them there. I don't think that it is an official zebra crossing but this area is a heavily used by pedestrians.

Someone is going to get here because the crossing kind of looks like a zebra crossing and taxi drivers most certainly think it is not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

Someone is going to get here because the crossing kind of looks like a zebra crossing and taxi drivers most certainly think it is not.[/quote]

It most certainly is nt a zebra crossing as they will be marked by flashing amber beacon. Its basically just an area marked where its convenient to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I do not regard it as an official type zebra crossing either and am always weary of pedestrians while I am approaching it.
    Pity that guys who make their living from driving around feel they need to be like that.
    Some pedestrian will get injured or worse there and when that happens I hope who ever decided to put such a design there is in someway held responsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I always give way to pedestrians at that crossing, most assume they have right of way, so it's not worth the consequences. That's a busy enough area/crossing for it to have the amber beacon lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I’ve always assumed it’s a pedestrian crossing...oops! There’s lots of those style markings on the roads around UCC too and people just walk out as if they are crossings also....what’s the story with them so? Cos they’re confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

leahyl wrote: »
    I’ve always assumed it’s a pedestrian crossing...oops! There’s lots of those style markings on the roads around UCC too and people just walk out as if they are crossings also....what’s the story with them so? Cos they’re confusing!

They are just suggested crossing points. Not zebra crossings.

• Advertisement

They are just suggested crossing points. Not zebra crossings.

Ok, well I don’t think the majority of the public realise that!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Any taxi driver worth his salt would know that people walk out on that crossing assuming its a zebra crossing everyday. They're supposed to be professional drivers after all, its not like it's the first time ever they've seen that crossing.

By right, appointing the area a "pedestrian priority area" like in front of the roundy would be far more suitable.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Any taxi driver worth his salt would know that people walk out on that crossing assuming its a zebra crossing everyday. They're supposed to be professional drivers after all, its not like it's the first time ever they've seen that crossing.

By right, appointing the area a "pedestrian priority area" like in front of the roundy would be far more suitable.
    Hang on. They have the right of way. It's the pedestrians that are in the wrong; how about they don't assume and put some value into their own lives first and foremost.
    And I've walked across there plenty of times, and just about always drivers (including taxi's) will let people walk across first.

Hang on. They have the right of way. It's the pedestrians that are in the wrong; how about they don't assume and put some value into their own lives first and foremost.
    And I've walked across there plenty of times, and just about always drivers (including taxi's) will let people walk across first.

It's quite clear from posts above and from occurrences observed at the cross that plenty of pedestrians are oblivious to the fact that it is not a zebra crossing. I'm sure that taxi drivers who are regular drivers around the city are aware of this fact that people walk out here but they continue to drive like maniacs through this cross. it won't be long until the injure someone from what I have seen.

Of course it is wrong to walk out in front of a car that has right of way but many people do so at this location under false pretense. Taxi drivers are supposed to be professional drivers, therefore they should drive with due caution. It is their insurance that would have to cough up at the end of the day whether they were right or wrong so driving with due diligence is necessary if they want to stay in business.

Btw, i've seen 3 occurrences there in the last month and i'm only in town at the weekends.

It's quite clear from posts above and from occurrences observed at the cross that plenty of pedestrians are oblivious to the fact that it is not a zebra crossing.
    Then it's the pedestrians ignorance that's at fault; plenty of people give the people chance to cross there, but if you don't place value in your own life/well-being, don't expect others to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Pedestrians always have right of way when they are on the road.

Then it's the pedestrians ignorance that's at fault; plenty of people give the people chance to cross there, but if you don't place value in your own life/well-being, don't expect others to.

Yes pedestrian ignorance is at fault here but taxi drivers I'm sure are well aware of this ignorance. I've seen 3 instances in the last month with taxi drivers driving at speed here through this junction. I agree with you that plenty of motorists let people cross here but this not always the case from the examples of driving I've seen through here, all of them taxi drivers.

Solution is to actually put in a proper zebra crossing or get of this faux one currently in place.

Pedestrians always have right of way when they are on the road.
    I don't think that's what being discussed.

Solution is to actually put in a proper zebra crossing or get of this faux one currently in place.
    Agreed. It's a busy enough crossing to merit it, or as someone suggested, the entire area should be pedestrian priority.

I don't think that's what being discussed.

Zebra crossing or not, once a pedestrian steps onto the road they have right of way. All motorists (including taxis) should know this. Speeding up to the crossing won't help.

Zebra crossing or not, once a pedestrian steps onto the road they have right of way. All motorists (including taxis) should know this. Speeding up to the crossing won't help.
    It’s not a zebra crossing that means traffic must yield; it’s been covered a few times. The pedestrian is expected to take a step onto the road in a way that allows the vehicle to stop in a controlled manner. You can’t just step out onto a road and have right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

leahyl wrote: »

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who assumed that although I wouldn't walk straight out assuming a car would stop either.

opus wrote: »
    Glad to know I wasn't the only one who assumed that although I wouldn't walk straight out assuming a car would stop either.

No, me neither, I proceed with caution but most of the time the cars stop anyway in that area going onto Paul Street. When I'm the motorist and I'm driving up around UCC, where they also have these "crossings", I tend to stop also, as I always assumed they were there for pedestrians to cross.

You can’t just step out onto a road and have right of way.
    You can and you do. That's what the law says.

You can and you do. That's what the law says.

Good luck with the law if you decide to just step out onto the road and think you have right to way. I'm sure 2 tonnes of metal will come to a sudden halt.

22 When right of way to be yielded
    (2) A driver approaching a road junction shall yield the right of way to another vehicle which has commenced to turn or cross at the junction in accordance with these bye-laws, and to a pedestrian who has commenced to cross at the junction in accordance with these bye-laws.

5 Application of bye-laws
    (1) These bye-laws shall apply save where compliance therewith is not possible by reason solely of road-works, building operations or an obstruction to traffic, or because of an emergency suddenly confronting a driver, pedal-cyclist or pedestrian which he could not reasonably have been expected to anticipate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement