Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creeping thyme lawn?

Options
  • 24-02-2019 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi there,

Has anyone ever tried a creeping thyme lawn? I have an unplanted patch of lawn, approx 100 square feet and am wondering about trying it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Bernice101 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Has anyone ever tried a creeping thyme lawn? I have an unplanted patch of lawn, approx 100 square feet and am wondering about trying it...

Bought some seed before and put it down on cleared ground but just got weeds sprouting. Have bought a few types of creeping thyme since and found them a bit slow growing. Thyme is more adapted to a dry warm Mediteranian type climate so it might be a bit damp here to get it to succeed as a lawn. The plants I bought and planted in rocky parts of the garden are still growing fine and I have seen some creeping thyme growing wild on the Aran islands but to maintain it as a lawn in this country could be a constant battle with weeds from what I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Bernice101

Thank you for your reply.
    Could anyone tell me what type of grass this is?
    I have some in the garden which is there with years and I would like to plant more of it

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Bernice101

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Looks like some variety of Festuca.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

My father had a place down in Mayo where it grew naturally on the gravel bohereen and dry stone walls. Tried a number of time to replicate this in Dublin and Wexford with no joy whatsoever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement