Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hertz complaint

Options
  • 24-02-2019 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Recently I rented a Hertz car from Dublin for 2 days.
    On the evening I was due to bring the car back to Dublin airport I saw the car had a flat tyre. Immediately I was stressed about missing my flight and under time pressure.
    I planned to put on the cars spare tyre but in my panic I should not find the jack in the car. It was an Audi A4 and seemingly the jack is in a separate compartment further in to the boot of the car and I didn't look there.
    So I called the Hertz road side assistance number and told them the issue. They told me they would phone the garages in my area to have someone call over and fix the tyre. I called them back a while later and they told me as it was a Sunday evening, they could not get anybody to come and help me.
    The person on the Hertz assistance number told me to make my own way to the airport so I would not miss my flight and they would arrange someone to collect the car the next day. They said it was not my fault that nobody would come to help me so I should not be charged.

A few days later I see a charge of EUR 560 on my credit card! Also I received an email from Hertz with photos showing that the car had a jack in the boot.

Is there anything I can do here? I currently have the amount 'on dispute' with my credit card company.

In addition I have used Hertz numerous times and am a Hertz Gold member.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

<SNIP>

I'm assuming you drove all the way to the airport on a flat and wrecked the alloy?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭diamondtooth

Haha no of course not! I left the car at home and made my own way to the airport at my own expense!

The are now charging me an extra day rental to the Monday, for a new tyre, fuel, collection fee...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'm assuming you drove all the way to the airport on a flat and wrecked the alloy?

Where in God's name did you pluck that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Haha no of course not! I left the car at home and made my own way to the airport at my own expense!

The are not charging me an extra day rental to the Monday, for a new tyre, fuel, collection fee...

Ah right! Sorry! You know how boards is... You assume the worst and it's normally even worse than that!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did they specify what the charge is for?
    In fairness, they had to collect the car swap over the spare (if one) and go out and get the flat repaired (assuming the tyre didn't need replacing).
    All because you didn't look hard enough for the back or find an alternative method to get the car sorted and returned.
    I doubt that you would get anything back on this unless you plead with them how you're a gold member. They've done nothing wrong and I assume you signed all the paperwork and agreed to their charges when you got the keys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is there anything I can do here? I currently have the amount 'on dispute' with my credit card company.

In addition I have used Hertz numerous times and am a Hertz Gold member.

If you're a gold card member, you need to bypass the local Hertz office and get someone at a regional level to take up your case. Drop them an e-mail.

I think the person who said that you shouldn't be charged was being a bit too sympathetic. If they had to come out and assist you during normal working hours then you might have gotten away without being charged but I think it's a bit much to effectively abandon the car and expect them to come and collect it without incurring a charge. Though €560 is a bit steep!

So nobody on their assistance number could tell me where to find the car jack or arrange a garage to call over and fix the wheel, but they charge me EUR 560 instead with no notification.
    Yes they specified what the charge is for...extra day rental, fuel, collection fee, new tyre.
    Even the guy who came and collected the car on the Monday could not find the car jack either.

I 'abandoned' the car because the person on their assistance number told me they could not find anyone to help so I should make my own way to the airport so as to not miss my flight.
    I would not have 'abandoned' the car without some notification from Hertz that it was ok to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Did they specify what the charge is for?
    In fairness, they had to collect the car swap over the spare (if one) and go out and get the flat repaired (assuming the tyre didn't need replacing).
    All because you didn't look hard enough for the back or find an alternative method to get the car sorted and returned.
    I doubt that you would get anything back on this unless you plead with them how you're a gold member. They've done nothing wrong and I assume you signed all the paperwork and agreed to their charges when you got the keys.

Well it depends. Is the use of Hertz assistance part of the OP's contract? It seems to be, so maybe if they fail to provide that service then it's on them. There might be a default clause if they can't make the call out within a certain time too though.
    The assistance would be for flat tyres I'd imagine (check the contract) so not being able to find the Jack might be neither here nor there.

If it was up to the op to fix it would they have to provide a fix... or a new /remould tyre of their choosing. I'd say Hertz would have some type of standard issue tyre that they couldn't deviate from.

I'm amazed anyone is taking Hertz side here. OP has been charged a scandalous amount of money for something that Hertz themselves have agreed with him (ie; leave the car, we'll sort it).

I'd be of the opinion that Hertz would be in the right to charge for the repair or replacement to the tyre that was damaged. Out from that, anything extra seems unfair to me.

Perhaps a diagram on the boot, in sticker form or such, demonstrating where the jack/spare wheel is, or a customer service agent with knowledge of their fleet, would have prevented this issue. Hertz should be expected to have a greater knowledge of their fleet than a customer who could be hopping in and out of a different car every week, even if he hired from the same location over and over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Any time I've hired a car there's been a manual in the glove compartment. That would show where the jack was?

Yes looking back of course it makes sense to look in the car manual. But in a hurry and panic I did what the Hertz staff member on their phone line suggested.
    I don't think they should suggest something without telling me it will cost EUR 560.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Caranica wrote: »
    Any time I've hired a car there's been a manual in the glove compartment. That would show where the jack was?

The jack in my partners Yaris goes under the passenger seat. The wheelbrace goes in the boot. I would believe the OP when they say they couldn't find the jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ask Hertz for the recording of the call, if they have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

L1011 wrote: »
    Ask Hertz for the recording of the call, if they have one.

Because of the variety of customers, for Hertz, young, old, weak, strong, female,
    chronic arrhythmia suffers, I find it hard to believe that drivers are responsible for changing flat tyres.
    Tyre damage is an excess item.

Never had the misfortune with a rental, but many wheel nuts are mighty hard to shift.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Yes looking back of course it makes sense to look in the car manual. But in a hurry and panic I did what the Hertz staff member on their phone line suggested.
    I don't think they should suggest something without telling me it will cost EUR 560.

You could ask for a transcript, or a copy of that call. Most companies record calls, and you're entitled to a copy, if they do, under GDPR.

The credit card companies here tend to not be as willing to side with the buyer as they are in the states (even our chargeback rules are much more onerous - although the instant there's a hint of a chargeback they still charge the business for the pleasure). But if you have proof you were told not to worry about it, then you can use that in your case against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I don't think the customer should be responsible for changing the tyre unless in the most extenuating circumstances. I am also shocked they don't have 24 hour roadside assistance. Imagine it was worse than a flat tyre in your drive - a tourist stuck on the side of a motorway after an accident or something- they just shrug their shoulders... sorry it's Sunday?!?
    They said to leave it and it wasn't your fault. Fight it. They have just lazily applied the charge. Go to the head office. Tweet them. Email them showing screen shots of your calls to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Just a guess here, but OP, did you tell the Hertz rep on the phone that there was no jack rather than you couldn't find the jack by any chance? If so that would explain why they agreed you could leave the car there and also why they included a photo of the jack in the car boot with the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Where in God's name did you pluck that from?

It's called humour.

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Just a guess here, but OP, did you tell the Hertz rep on the phone that there was no jack rather than you couldn't find the jack by any chance? If so that would explain why they agreed you could leave the car there and also why they included a photo of the jack in the car boot with the bill.

I think I said both things actually. I said either there is no jack or I just can't find it. I have asked Hertz for a transcript/recording of my phone calls with them, so that will be interesting!

• Advertisement

dohouch wrote: »
    Because of the variety of customers, for Hertz, young, old, weak, strong, female,
    chronic arrhythmia suffers, I find it hard to believe that drivers are responsible for changing flat tyres.
    Tyre damage is an excess item.

Never had the misfortune with a rental, but many wheel nuts are mighty hard to shift.

It's not uncommon to break a wheel nut when trying to get them off, either. Who'd be responsible for that?

Does seem strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

@diamondtooth:
    Was in a Hertz office yesterday, and explained the issue. It seems you are only covered for all possible issues if you take their full cover, which they quoted me as €28 per day extra.
    I said punctures can be the cause of something nail, screw or the like sitting the tire for a few days or longer before the air eventually escapes, BUT it is still your baby to repair (unless you have the full cover, i.e. €28 a day extra.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

@dohouch, thank you for the information, that is good to know!
    But still if their emergency phone line could not have found anyone to come and replace the tyre they could have at least explained to me where to find the jack. Rather than telling me to leave the car there and afterwards charging me EUR 560.

I have asked Hertz for a transcript/recording of my phone calls with them. So far, no reply...

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭sue97

Just wondering if you got a transcript of your call. I have a different problem with Hertz and am going to request a transcript.

sue97 wrote: »
    Just wondering if you got a transcript of your call. I have a different problem with Hertz and am going to request a transcript.

Hi, no I never got a transcript of my phone call. Hertz said they do not keep this information.
    However I have since rented with Sixt in Dublin and told them about my Hertz issue and they told me that all rental companies DO record their phone calls.

Hi, no I never got a transcript of my phone call. Hertz said they do not keep this information.
    However I have since rented with Sixt in Dublin and told them about my Hertz issue and they told me that all rental companies DO record their phone calls.

Out of interest do a FOI request on all information on you. Do private companies have to respond?
    Did you ever get your 560 back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Would be more with the hire company on this one. If the OP couldn't change a wheel its not great to be out on the road. Im sure they have it in their terms and have themselves well covered by what they charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Would be more with the hire company on this one. If the OP couldn't change a wheel its not great to be out on the road. Im sure they have it in their terms and have themselves well covered by what they charged.

He said he couldn't find the jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

pablo128 wrote: »

He said he couldn't find the jack.

And thats the companies fault ?

• Advertisement

And thats the companies fault ?

Company failed to send someone out to change as per agreement with op. Then they told them to leave the car and make their own way. Then they decided to renage on this and claimed they hadn't said this.

Advertisement