Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have the bike - now need everything else

Options
  • 24-02-2019 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Waiting for cycle to work to be processed at the min, I'm actually gonna use this to cycle to work (sometimes) 35km(ish).

I'm guessing I'm far better off buying everything else online?

What sort of pedals should I get?

Lad in shop showed me some ones that are normal on one side and for cliped in shoes on the other? They good? Close to €200 for pedals/shoes?

Lights?

Sure I'll just buy some set on Amazon?

How do you not end up a smelly sweaty mess after 35KM?

Haven't cycled in years, what else can you recommend to save me the time learning curve?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some comments on shoes/pedals here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057958622
    €200 seems steep though! pedals shouldn't cost more than €50.

have you ordered mudguards? and is your commute 35km each way?
    re not ending up a sweaty mess, if you carry anything on your back you're not going to win that battle. you'd need to get a carrier/pannier and bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

some comments on shoes/pedals here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057958622
    €200 seems steep though! pedals shouldn't cost more than €50.

have you ordered mudguards? and is your commute 35km each way?
    re not ending up a sweaty mess, if you carry anything on your back you're not going to win that battle. you'd need to get a carrier/pannier and bags.

Cheers for link! IL get mudguards in shop, forget price of them. Pedals were 50, it was the shoes that pushed that price right up.

It is 35km each way yea, I was thinking just sticking ball of newspaper down the back for airflow haha, but good idea, IL look into carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

vargoo wrote: »
    ...Haven't cycled in years,
    A 70k round trip commute would be tough going if you haven't cycled for years. Might be better to build up to it rather than diving in as you may risk getting turned off it especially if the weather is poor.

What about flat tyres?

I was going to get 1 of those fix a flat cans.

A 70k round trip commute would be tough going if you haven't cycled for years. Might be better to build up to it rather than diving in as you may risk getting turned off it especially if the weather is poor.

I run a good bit so should be good fitness wise, hoping for nice wind free, dew on the grass, days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

You need to bring a pump, tyre levers and spare tubes.

And practice changing a tube at home first. It's not something that you want to be doing for the first time on the side of the road in the dark while it's raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

And get Schawlbe Marathon type tires - less likely to puncture for first while.

Get ready to have sore bottom. It will hurt like hell for a few weeks. You just have to put up with it. You could be as fit as Ussain Bolt but your arse will need to HTFU just like everyone else that's new to cycling. No exceptions. Get the best padded shorts you can afford. Don't cheap out on that. You can get Aldi/Lidl cycling jacket if you want to save there, but buy the best shorts that you can.

Padded gloves will help a good bit - and remember to avoid death grips on the handlebars and to keep switching between hoods, top, drops etc - will save you wrist pain to some degree.

After riding 35k, you WILL need a shower. Hopefully your work provides that. Leave work cloths and shoes at work. Bring fresh ones in on the days you are not cycling in and leave them there etc. And hopefully work also provides a safe place to put your bike away. Otherwise invest in a decent lock, but it might get nicked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I run a good bit so should be good fitness wise, hoping for nice wind free, dew on the grass, days.

Don’t bet on it. Start out easy and work your way up to 35km distance in a set time. Yeah you may be run fit but that’s a completely different fitness to being cycle fit.

A mate of mine who played county GAA, ran marathons and 10k’s every other week calved at 40km the first time he got on a bike. I told him to build up to the distance (75km) but he reckoned he’d have no problems. He was slow as hell and his legs aches after 30km, he had to stop and hitch a ride in the broom wagon after 40km.

In my experience, cycling will help you with running fitness but running won’t help with cycle fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Don’t bet on it.

^ This. There's very little shared benefit between the two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, you'll be fit in a cardiovascular sense but that might lull you into a false sense of confidence and overtax your cycling muscles which probably are not that well developed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

What about flat tyres?

I was going to get 1 of those fix a flat cans.

Get tubes,tyre levers and a pump and learn how to change a tube quickly.

I have one of the those cans in my bag in case of emergency but that's only if i'm in a hurry or its the middle of Winter on a horrible day.

Thanks for replies guys!

So got the shoes and pedals for €150, happy with that. Puncture kit - I'll have to check a few youtube vids out, speed up the process.

Should I have looked into tubeless? Didn't know they were a thing at all on bikes!? All wheels are tubeless ready now I've read so theirs nothing stopping me, I'll have a chat with man in shop.

Got a can of slime. Seems to be the go to for flats.

Em, chainguards, they look a bit sh1t, do ye use them? Bike has 105 stuff all over, if i give it a blast with a hose every now and then, bit of oil, be grand?

Bike I had as a kid never got a wash, took all abuse, lasted 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

My commute is 20k each way. Have showers at work so happy enough using a backpack. I run tubeless tyres but always carry a tube, pump and levers just in case the tyre doesn't seal.

Looking after your bike will save you money long term plus it's much nicer to ride a bike that is free of creaky drivechain noises.

Decent lights and mudguards are must haves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Cheers for link! IL get mudguards in shop, forget price of them. Pedals were 50, it was the shoes that pushed that price right up.

It is 35km each way yea, I was thinking just sticking ball of newspaper down the back for airflow haha, but good idea, IL look into carrier.

If you are new to cycling (and even if youre not) 70km a day is a lot, even if its pan flat and you get the wind in your favour.
    I'd advise starting off doing 2, maybe 3 days tops a week for a couple of months.
    Or you will end up wrecked come the weekend or get run down and ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Might be an idea to drive to work, cycle home and cycle in the next day. That way its just 35km a day to start.

Clothes wise I use Castelli padded tights which I found to be the best. You'll have to see if your saddle suits you over time. I also am using a cycling cap under the helmet with a smock and winter gloves at the moment. Get a set of neoprene overshoes to avoid cold feet. If you are buying a new Jersey it might be an idea to get a hi-vis one.

Lights wise if you can get a set of USB plug in lights they are handy - I would invest in the lights personally and I run two sets front and back.

You'll need to shower or wet wipe in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Lidl have cycling stuff on March 7th.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?id=742&week=1

Does anyone have the bike work stand?

I need a second camera too and don't want to spend a fortune. I wonder is that one any good?

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=17001

i got the work stand a year or two back. can't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Lidl have cycling stuff on March 7th.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?id=742&week=1

Does anyone have the bike work stand?

I need a second camera too and don't want to spend a fortune. I wonder is that one any good?

I have one of the stands. Absolutely fine for using every couple of weeks.
    I've used a parktool one before and it was miles better obviously but far too expensive unless you are using it every other day

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

90-100 minutes battery life would be fine for commuting but not for a leisurely cycle, I reckon

• Advertisement
Advertisement