Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician to electrical engineer

Options
  • 24-02-2019 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for some advice.Im 37 year old electrician thinking of going to college to study electrical engineering.I could get into year 2 so would have 2 years for a qualification.Am I too old for this.Just wondering has any one else done this.
    Have a family with 2 kids and mortgage so money would be tight but manageable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

larrya wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking for some advice.Im 37 year old electrician thinking of going to college to study electrical engineering.I could get into year 2 so would have 2 years for a qualification.Am I too old for this.Just wondering has any one else done this.

Lit, are doing a course and it's funded under springboard for electricians to gain an engineering degree. I'll post the link.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

2011 wrote: »

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks

If you do this it is essential that you select the course carefully. Employers simply don't rate some of the courses. After some courses you will be considered a glorified electrician, not an engineer. To help pick the right course I would suggest that you talk need to talk to some recent graduates and so that you can assess how they are getting on. Colleges will normally help with this if you ask.

This is not the only route off your tools, others have done very well by following different paths as can be seen in the above linked thread.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Mortgage, wife, 3 kids all under 15, went back 4 years ago to do elec services engineering part time in DIT, currently in my final year and will finish in May with ordinary degree.

Plenty of lads in my class over the age of 40,

Most lads got jobs in engineering firms after completing 2 years in college albeit you would start on a graduate salary.

Let me know if you need any more info, happy to pass it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Mortgage, wife, 3 kids all under 15, went back 4 years ago to do elec services engineering part time in DIT, currently in my final year and will finish in May with ordinary degree.

Plenty of lads in my class over the age of 40,

Most lads got jobs in engineering firms after completing 2 years in college albeit you would start on a graduate salary.

Let me know if you need any more info, happy to pass it on.

Good on you. I'm going back full-time in September. Have a wife and 2 young kids but mortgage free. Debating at the moment whether to do a level 7 or level 8 course.
    I can complete the level 7 in one year but the level 8 will take 2/3 years depending on the route I take.
    Any advice?

aido79 wrote: »
    Good on you. I'm going back full-time in September. Have a wife and 2 young kids but mortgage free. Debating at the moment whether to do a level 7 or level 8 course.
    I can complete the level 7 in one year but the level 8 will take 2/3 years depending on the route I take.
    Any advice?

Even if you never use the degree I felt it was good for my own mindset and personal wellbeing, always good to be learning and doing something.

I started with the higher cert, jumped straight into year 2 and did 2 years part time. At the end you are awarded a higher certificate in elec services design. You can then follow on into year 3 of the ordinary level degree and do 2 years of which I am now in my final year.

Part time is tough, 3 evenings per week in college, coupled with assignments and 2 large projects.

In my opinion the ordinary level degree should actually be a level 8, I feel it is under awarded. The level 8 degree available after elec services engineering is mainly based around renewable energy.

I would just go for it, I don’t think you will regret it. Fees are between 2100/2500 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Even if you never use the degree I felt it was good for my own mindset and personal wellbeing, always good to be learning and doing something.

I started with the higher cert, jumped straight into year 2 and did 2 years part time. At the end you are awarded a higher certificate in elec services design. You can then follow on into year 3 of the ordinary level degree and do 2 years of which I am now in my final year.

Part time is tough, 3 evenings per week in college, coupled with assignments and 2 large projects.

In my opinion the ordinary level degree should actually be a level 8, I feel it is under awarded. The level 8 degree available after elec services engineering is mainly based around renewable energy.

I would just go for it, I don’t think you will regret it. Fees are between 2100/2500 per year.

What gives you that impression? There needs to be some distinction between it and the honours degree. Masters and PhD need to be recognised as higher again.

I've spent time lecturing and am currently working in the industry. The former electricians tend to have an advantage in the practical side of the degree courses but I've found they struggle with some of the more theoretical aspects. In particular, the mathematical modelling involved with electromagnetics. Think carefully about the course you are going for and what you hope to get out of it. If you haven't done a lot of complex maths or haven't used it since leaving cert, try and avoid courses with theoretical requirements.

Similarly, post qualifications I've found our ex electrician hires to be solid at getting work done but difficult to give feedback to and they tend to struggle for a while with the corporate aspects of their roles. I suspect it'd be related to their autonomous background if self employed. Of the 10 or so we've taken on over the last 5 years, only one is left and he's just handed in his notice. Like any job, some work out. Some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thanks. I would agree with that. I am the kind of person who enjoys learning so I do think it would be good for my mindset and personal wellbeing as you say.

Are you saying to do the level 8 rather than the level 7?

I've done part-time study before without kids...with kids I wouldn't even consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

aido79 wrote: »
    Thanks. I would agree with that. I am the kind of person who enjoys learning so I do think it would be good for my mindset and personal wellbeing as you say.

Are you saying to do the level 8 rather than the level 7?

I've done part-time study before without kids...with kids I wouldn't even consider it.

I'm just recommending that anyone would do whichever they think is best for them. However, don't blindly sign up without identifying the requirements and whether you have the necessary skills/time/commitment.
    Completely agree with you on always learning and on attempting with kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi,

I was a bit younger getting out (of mechanical engineering, 29) and wouldn't have had the same practical experience as you but would recommend for the following reasons and caveats.

1. Doing a degree will transform you. Its not just the kind of job/wages you could be doing post-education but your whole thinking about everything changes. Once you get to see the depth of what's involved in the electrical field you'll automatically have an appreciation for the depth involved in any field be it medicine, law, politics. You'll view all of life in a different way. And be better equipped to deal with life on a "higher" plain.

2. Whilst you might well come to earn more than you do now the kind of work you do will probably be more varied, challenging and enjoyable. If variety, challenge and enjoyment matter, that it. That said, folk on the tools tend to get paid per hour whereas professionals get a salary and can very often be expected to work extra hours and take on extra responsibility. It's not infrequent that the guys on the tools are getting near what you are - yet you run the show. Nevertheless, I wouldn't have swapped.

3. Be clear about your employment prospects. Less so your age - you might find some doors shut but if your made of the right stuff then you'll find an opening to get you started. There needs to be clear employment prospects (probably don't look at the big multinationals who'll tend to plug along the standard age route) out there for folk like you and prospects that you wouldn't mind working at

4. Work your bollox of whilst you're doing the course. You can assume you'll be a bit slower to get going that your peers but if you really plug at it you'll catch up. So be careful, if you can, about where you do your course. I went from perennial D grade maths in Bolton St. (not great for a mech eng) to straight A a the end of a single year in a vibrant uni in London.

Best of luck with it

^^^ Very good post, aligns with my experience.

What gives you that impression? There needs to be some distinction between it and the honours degree. Masters and PhD need to be recognised as higher again.

I've spent time lecturing and am currently working in the industry. The former electricians tend to have an advantage in the practical side of the degree courses but I've found they struggle with some of the more theoretical aspects. In particular, the mathematical modelling involved with electromagnetics. Think carefully about the course you are going for and what you hope to get out of it. If you haven't done a lot of complex maths or haven't used it since leaving cert, try and avoid courses with theoretical requirements.

Similarly, post qualifications I've found our ex electrician hires to be solid at getting work done but difficult to give feedback to and they tend to struggle for a while with the corporate aspects of their roles. I suspect it'd be related to their autonomous background if self employed. Of the 10 or so we've taken on over the last 5 years, only one is left and he's just handed in his notice. Like any job, some work out. Some don't.

I’m relating it to the degree I’m on which is the ordinary degree in electrical services engineering.
    The only level 8 offered in DIT is in renewable energy which I do not have much desire to progress to.

I agree that there has to be differentiation but I believe the level of maths and electrical science that we complete in the level 7 degree is if a Hugh enough standard to be a level 8. To be honest I think it’s as much about the college making more money than anything.

In my opinion they need to offer more level 8 degrees as a follow on to electrical services (not just energy management) or else change the level 7 to a level 8. Four years part time is a long time to complete a level 7 degree.

I started as an electrician and then moved into a corporate environment with a large technology company. I agree with your point that not everyone is suited to the corporate world.

Either way that shouldn’t be a deterrent to anyone wanting to further there education.

Knowledge is wealth!!!!!

I was a bit younger getting out (of mechanical engineering, 29) and wouldn't have had the same practical experience as you but would recommend for the following reasons and caveats.

1. Doing a degree will transform you. Its not just the kind of job/wages you could be doing post-education but your whole thinking about everything changes. Once you get to see the depth of what's involved in the electrical field you'll automatically have an appreciation for the depth involved in any field be it medicine, law, politics. You'll view all of life in a different way. And be better equipped to deal with life on a "higher" plain.

2. Whilst you might well come to earn more than you do now the kind of work you do will probably be more varied, challenging and enjoyable. If variety, challenge and enjoyment matter, that it. That said, folk on the tools tend to get paid per hour whereas professionals get a salary and can very often be expected to work extra hours and take on extra responsibility. It's not infrequent that the guys on the tools are getting near what you are - yet you run the show. Nevertheless, I wouldn't have swapped.

3. Be clear about your employment prospects. Less so your age - you might find some doors shut but if your made of the right stuff then you'll find an opening to get you started. There needs to be clear employment prospects (probably don't look at the big multinationals who'll tend to plug along the standard age route) out there for folk like you and prospects that you wouldn't mind working at

4. Work your bollox of whilst you're doing the course. You can assume you'll be a bit slower to get going that your peers but if you really plug at it you'll catch up. So be careful, if you can, about where you do your course. I went from perennial D grade maths in Bolton St. (not great for a mech eng) to straight A a the end of a single year in a vibrant uni in London.

Best of luck with it

All great points, do the research on the courses, happy to pass on any info you want on the one I am doing.

Maths forms a large part of it, I was terrible at maths in school and hated it. I genuinely have a very good knowledge of maths now and actually enjoy it.

You will get a great sense of self achievement as you progress through any course which in some ways is better than any money you will ever earn,

To an extent!!!

The only level 8 offered in DIT is in renewable energy which I do not have much desire to progress to.

That is not correct. DIT offer other electrical engineering level 8 degrees, DT021A being one of the best examples:

http://www.dit.ie/studyatdit/undergraduate/programmescourses/allcourses/electricalelectroniccomputercommunicationsengineeringdt021a.html

2011 wrote: »
    That is not correct. DIT offer other electrical engineering level 8 degrees, DT021A being one of the best examples:

http://www.dit.ie/studyatdit/undergraduate/programmescourses/allcourses/electricalelectroniccomputercommunicationsengineeringdt021a.html

That’s a full time course, I was referring to my options as a part time student.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi,

A few more thoughts:

You can be an electrician in an industrial setting and have a hugely varied job which expands well beyond electrical work. Or you can be wiring 100 new build houses day in day out.

The same goes for electrical engineering. The wrong job and you could find it as dull as ditchwater once the initial bloom disappears. My first post-qual job was as plant engineer in the food industry - hugely varied, lots of responsibilty and growth and a vibrant company. My mate qualified the same time and went into a rock breaking equipment co. Dull/simple engineering and a horrible company. His 2nd company was very political, even if the work was interesting. He became completely disillusioned with engineering and left it.

Some folk are happy doing repetitive work (I've known contented bricklayers). Others pull their hair out. If your the latter, then you'd want to be thinking about a career which is going to provide variety. It would be efficient to combine what you already know with a new career rather than dumping all you've learned for a new direction.

It's also the case that the progress path for engineers frequently involves more management. For example being an electrical engineer for a mechanical/electrical engineering company - say one who fits out new industrial facilities. You would be employing your electrical engineering, having a hand in the design of systems even. But also using your electrical skills to direct and hands on help a team of electricians. You have the engineers overview of the design and what needs to be achieved. But you also have the hands on skill to make sure that the high falutin' design is actually worked out properly on the ground.

That's an example of a clear path which makes use of both your existing skills and the ones you will obtain. It would efficiently bridge the age-gap by a good margin. Let's be frank: you're not going to follow the career path of someone exiting college at 22.

It may be worth ringing some companies to discuss what your employment prospects with them would be theoretically. You might even ask what earning potential would attach to such a position.

-

A word on maths. Maths, I came to learn, is a thoroughly beautiful language. Once you "get it" you will look at the world through a completely new lens. The fortunate thing is that entry into this realm can be achieved through sheer application. You simply do as much maths as you possibly can - working through problems (theoretical and applied) over and over. It becomes quite easy in fact - once you've the hang of how to approach it.

And if you find you don't take to maths, don't worry too much. Certain career paths hardly use any maths at all. In my own career I seldom had need for much beyond leaving cert level. What served most was my appreciation that maths was involved in particular areas and to consider things that way - rather than working out any calculations myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

I'm a Contracts Manager with a Medium Sized Electrical firm. We actually hired an Electrical Engineer who was an electrician to help us out.

Serious practical application of electrical elements when it comes to value engineering jobs etc, we can rock in and provide all the backups, means we can win work by thinking outside of the consulants tender docs.

The industry is crying out for people in engineering roles especially on the consultancy side of things. Designing boards, single lines, MV gear. The fellas who were like you in the trade originally are light years ahead of lads walking out of college from school and they are well able to try come up with practical solutions on the job.

I would say go for it. I could give you the numbers for 10 consultancy firms who would hire you the minute you qualify.

Advertisement