Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

His Dark Materials.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

flazio wrote: »
    Season 1 and 2 were filmed back to back, because, as you say, to cover off any growth spurts.

Ah well that explains that then. Smart move and spurts notwithstanding, wish more productions would do the back-to-back filming as it nearly always results in a stronger, more cohesive story.

(on the growth spurts, IIRC Stranger Things Season 4 shut down halfway through filming so that's going to be interesting when they start back up)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see this was also shut down filming season 2 due to Covid I wonder how that will effect the release date or will they go back to continue filming or just shorten the season.

Ah edit I see now the season will be cut short by 1 episode.
    Producers of fantasy TV drama His Dark Materials have said that one episode of the upcoming second series had to be cut due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Speaking at the show's Comic-Con@Home panel, they revealed t
    hat a planned standalone instalment was unable to be filmed during lockdown.

The episode, focusing on James McAvoy's Lord Asriel, may be revisited.

The now seven-episode series will, however, see Fleabag stars Andrew Scott and Phoebe-Waller Bridge reunited.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53524094

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I see this was also shut down filming season 2 due to Covid I wonder how that will effect the release date or will they go back to continue filming or just shorten the season.

Ah edit I see now the season will be cut short by 1 episode.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53524094

Who is Andrew Scott playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Who is Andrew Scott playing?

John Parry.
    I read somewhere that Phoebe Waller Bridge will play his daemon!

• Advertisement

Starts back November 16th on HBO Max no date for The BBC yet.

If I had to guess it will be November 15th on the BBC.

Trailer

Still no BBC release date announced.

Trailer

Still no BBC release date announced.

Thats an impressive trailer

Advertised on BBC tonight for 8th November. 9pm I think.

Advertised on BBC tonight for 8th November. 9pm I think.

Scratch that! It's 8.10pm on BBC1, Sunday the 8th. I'd hate anyone to miss it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^ Bumped!!! ~~~ Reminder tonight.

Ooh, that was great! I think it was even a step up from the last series. The witches are incredible. I really like Will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, that was a great improvement. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first season but it was a little underwhelming (Possibly because of my familiarity with the series), but I thought the pacing of this was much better.

My (overvalued) tuppence worth:

The Good
    • Will, as usual. Fantastic portrayal as usual.
    • The witches council and Ruta. It's a minor point but I thought they would have had Serafina doing her part, purely for narrative purposes - avoiding introducing new characters if possible.
    • The look of the tower.
    • The new credit sequence.
    • Ruth Wilson.... Of course
    • Their interpretation of how the witches use Cloud Pine. Thought it was a very interesting take
    • Production values. Looked amazing.

The Bad
    • Not much really

The Meh
    • Again, not much

More and more (especially in current situation and going forward) it's looking like cinema will become the home of big bombastic movies. Entertainment that is high on HUGE spectacle. But TV is really REALLY where it's at for entertainment to get your teeth into. I know Amazon are working on their Middle Earth series but, had Peter Jackson being pitching LoTR today it would have been on TV.

Something I thought was interesting. And this is a potential BIG spoiler for non-readers so really REALLY don't be tempted to look
    Looked like Mary Malone is in it. I thought that she would have been a casualty of paring down the show for TV. I love her character but her part in the story is quite....... nebulous? I just thought, given her storyline that she would need to go. If they do get a season 3 the Mulefa will be VERY difficult and expensive to bring to screen: Intelligent part elephant/part buffalo on wheels... Difficult to bring that to the screen without looking silly/losing people.

So yeah, bang up start to Season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2.1: Oh! I really want to know what
    happens next!
    Yeah this whole episode had me glued! Something
    really dodgy going on in this middle world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Missed this....

Doesnt look like its repeated anywhere either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Missed this....

Doesnt look like its repeated anywhere either
    I noticed last year that the BBC seemed only able to have rights to show it once, there was no repeat later in the week on BBC2 nor even a sign-language version in the early hours. Seems to be the same this year.

I thought that was all fairly excellent - would echo just about everyone else.

Cittigazze did throw me a little bit. Whilst it's probably close to what was described in the books, my mental picture when reading was always a bit more basic - think low-built North African stone city surrounded by desert, with a Glendalough type tower in the middle. But I can get on board with this depiction of it.
    Favourite comment I read on another site.
    "I can accept daemons, witches, the multi-verse & talking bears, but no way can an iPhone still have a working battery after 3 days without a charge".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I noticed last year that the BBC seemed only able to have rights to show it once, there was no repeat later in the week on BBC2 nor even a sign-language version in the early hours. Seems to be the same this year.

I thought that was all fairly excellent - would echo just about everyone else.

Cittigazze did throw me a little bit. Whilst it's probably close to what was described in the books, my mental picture when reading was always a bit more basic - think low-built North African stone city surrounded by desert, with a Glendalough type tower in the middle. But I can get on board with this depiction of it.
    Favourite comment I read on another site.
    "I can accept daemons, witches, the multi-verse & talking bears, but no way can an iPhone still have a working battery after 3 days without a charge".

Its ok, the Sky Box seemed to have remembered the Series Link!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭td1

I missed this week’s episode. Is there any way to see it before the next ep is broadcast?

Quick question
    Been a while since I read the book, but I remember them going to the cinema. Will slept while the films were on while Lyra thought it was the best thing she ever experienced. Was that when they arrived in Will's world? (i.e. tonight), or can it happen later?? Or did the phone scene essentially replace the cinema scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Did I miss something or was the shadow that came up behind Will at the end of the last episode explained/resolved in any way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

coL wrote: »
    Did I miss something or was the shadow that came up behind Will at the end of the last episode explained/resolved in any way?

Earlier in the first episode, the local girls had said that the shadows lurked around those who were about to become adults, ready to pounce at the moment. And that Will was 'close'.
    So presumably it will be resolved in the near future when puberty happens.
    Would have made sense (though probably expensive) for the shadow to be continually above him during the scenes in Citigazze in the second ep.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Earlier in the first episode, the local girls had said that the shadows lurked around those who were about to become adults, ready to pounce at the moment. And that Will was 'close'.
    So presumably it will be resolved in the near future when puberty happens.
    Would have made sense (though probably expensive) for the shadow to be continually above him during the scenes in Citigazze in the second ep.

It just left me confused as I thought I had missed an episode or an intro. Also seems like a cheap trick to end the last episode on a supposed cliff hanger.

Cracking second episode.

2.2: Good episode. Both episodes of season 2 have just flown by. I want to know what happens next. They're really well made for a tv show as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Huh. Just realised that Will Keen, who plays Father MacPhail (
    now Cardinal
    ), is Dafne Keen (Lyra)'s father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Thought that was very good. In some ways it is very close to the books (Right down to Lyra being hit by the car) and in others it is quite different but the differences are understandable from a narrative POV: How do you portray the animosity between the Magisterium and the witches without another info dump? Show them attacking eachother. Funnily enough, even though her name is Mary Malone, I never read her as being Irish.

While I knew what the cliff-hanger last week was, I do agree that it was a bit of a cheap trick. They could at least have had him turn around and see nothing. But anyway.

So again, over-valued tuppence worth:

The Good
    • Mary and Lyra was well done. It reminded me of Tyrion meeting Dany in Game of Thrones. Readers were (Still are, believe it or not) waiting for it to happen and it was handled well.
    • Ruth Wilson just getting better and better. Her speech at the end basically saying she owned them was fantastic
    • Well done how Boreal looks so totally different between Will's world and Lyra's.

The Bad
    • The complete ignoring of the Spectre behind Will from last week's cliff-hanger certainly could have been done better with a single second scene of him turning and seeing nothing.

The Meh
    • Not much

Anything spoilered below should be considered a MAJOR spoiler so non-readers, don't be tempted. Seriously!

IT will be interesting to see
    how they handle Mary's conversation with Dust: Dust being Angels. So far they have been very clever in their depiction of the Church. Also, the trailer for next week shseems to have scenes that are quite a departure from the books. Iorek, Lee and Mrs Coultter etc. Of course it could be just clever editing. But this season is only 8 episodes. We'll really need to see Boreal tasking Will with getting the Knife pretty soon.

Actually, now I think about it, Iorek scene is probably him deciding to move due to the ice melting.

And I can't wait for people to realise that Lyra's Baby Yoda's mother!!!! :D

Another cracking episode tonight. Loved the scenes between Lee and Mrs Coulter, both actors doing an incredible job in those roles. Hester comforting Lee... :(

Another cracking episode tonight. Loved the scenes between Lee and Mrs Coulter, both actors doing an incredible job in those roles. Hester comforting Lee... :(

Yes indeed, first rate. Roll on Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Best episode of the season so far for me.

• Advertisement

2.3: Start felt a bit filler to reveal some story but then by the end I was wanting more
    information about who's in this tower and what exactly did happen to all the people in the middle world. Bears cameo was good.

Advertisement