Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

His Dark Materials.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Enjoyed that. The Mrs. Coulter and Lee scene wasn't in the book but was a fantastic addition. Yes, the real story starts now. Series 1 (And book one) was really an introduction of most of the cast: Lyra, Asriel, Mrs. Coulter, Lee, Iorek, Serafina etc. (Will doesn't even turn up in book one).

Once again, my overvalued tuppenceworth:

The Good
    • Lee/Mrs Coulter scene. Fantastically written and acted by both. Great addition
    • Great to see Iorek (albeit briefly) in the episode
    • Boreal/Lyra/Will scene. The calm way in which he assumes ownership of the Alethiometer was straight from the books.

The Bad
    • Not much

The Meh
    • While I did love the scenes with Lee/Mrs Coulter, I thought how she found out was clunky ("Oh, we have an Aeronaut here too"). I mean I don't know how else they could have done it but it was just a bit awkwardly done.

Musings: And Spoilers could be BIG spoilers so don't be tempted, non-readers. Just realised that Angelica (The girl Will talks to) is the bad-ass Lyanna Mormont girl from Game of Thrones:

82716e279888f7b62ec202cc1cd9099324039fe0.jpg

Loved the brief glimpse of Grumman
    Joparry

There were little details/observations I loved: Hester (Lee's Daemon) pressing her head to Lee and the casual violence of Mrs. Coulter's daemon. As they leave Lee the second time you see him casually dragging the guard's Daemon before throwing it away in disgust. Non-readers may have missed it but it's there. It's not a spoiler but just a little detail from the books.

Liked the
    scene after Mary leaves The Cave. You see a snake appear on the screen. I bet many non-readers will interpet that as a warning of Boreal (With his snake Daemon) but it probably is "Play the Serpent"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Enjoyed that. The Mrs. Coulter and Lee scene wasn't in the book but was a fantastic addition. Yes, the real story starts now. Series 1 (And book one) was really an introduction of most of the cast: Lyra, Asriel, Mrs. Coulter, Lee, Iorek, Serafina etc. (Will doesn't even turn up in book one).

Once again, my overvalued tuppenceworth:

The Good
    • Lee/Mrs Coulter scene. Fantastically written and acted by both. Great addition
    • Great to see Iorek (albeit briefly) in the episode
    • Boreal/Lyra/Will scene. The calm way in which he assumes ownership of the Alethiometer was straight from the books.

The Bad
    • Not much

The Meh
    • While I did love the scenes with Lee/Mrs Coulter, I thought how she found out was clunky ("Oh, we have an Aeronaut here too"). I mean I don't know how else they could have done it but it was just a bit awkwardly done.

Musings: And Spoilers could be BIG spoilers so don't be tempted, non-readers. Just realised that Angelica (The girl Will talks to) is the bad-ass Lyanna Mormont girl from Game of Thrones:

82716e279888f7b62ec202cc1cd9099324039fe0.jpg

Loved the brief glimpse of Grumman
    Joparry

There were little details/observations I loved: Hester (Lee's Daemon) pressing her head to Lee and the casual violence of Mrs. Coulter's daemon. As they leave Lee the second time you see him casually dragging the guard's Daemon before throwing it away in disgust. Non-readers may have missed it but it's there. It's not a spoiler but just a little detail from the books.

Liked the
    scene after Mary leaves The Cave. You see a snake appear on the screen. I bet many non-readers will interpet that as a warning of Boreal (With his snake Daemon) but it probably is "Play the Serpent"

Every time I read one of your posts, it makes me want to go back and read the books again.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

Another great episode tonight.

Really must read the books again. It's been so long since I have read them that sometimes I feel like I'm watching as a non reader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2.4: Good episode. I was like..
    hold up... Vengance?!?! and so now I'm wondering if they are the same as the dark creatures from the middle world.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Wow!! What a brilliant episode! :D it covered the part of the books I've always enjoyed most, Mary finally connecting to the Cave and Will learning about the knife. I must say, I am super impressed with how the show is handling the material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Not a fan of how they interpreted the Spectres. I always pictured them as more slow.moving, kinda floating about the place. It also undermines a pretty significant scene from later on in the books with Ms. Coulter and them.

I thought the way they have the witches cloud pine is an interesting wrinkle

Really good episode again this week. The production and visual effects are excellent, too.

Just a suggestion. I see people speculating about particular scenes on episodes. I propose that readers do NOT respond because the books are quite tight in that there are answers to everything really. So it's not like the X-Files or something where you are waiting on vague answers and much is left to interpretation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not everything really as I was curious about something but the author couldn't answer the question when asked.
    How are daemons born?

:D

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Not everything really as I was curious about something but the author couldn't answer the question when asked.
    How are daemons born?

:D

I always imagined it was the reverse of how they depart :pac:

• Advertisement

Well yes, I believe in the first Book of Dust it is mentioned
    That Daemons form almost immediately after birth

But what I meant was that narratively it is quite tight.

I’ve just watched Sunday’s episode, which I think was excellent. The daemons are characters in their own right, and the storyline is excellent. Love the relationship between Marisa and Lyra, and Dr Mary Malone’s inquisitiveness The actors are very good. Ruth Walker a stand out for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Probably a silly question but what's up with this split staircase motif used on most of the interior sets? I'm assuming it's something more nuanced than they are reusing the same set which happens to have this staircase at the back? I feel like I could make a drinking game out of it at this stage. Is there something obvious in the books that I don't remember (and I don't remember a lot...) or have they taken some thematic element and just gone a little OTT with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Probably a silly question but what's up with this split staircase motif used on most of the interior sets? I'm assuming it's something more nuanced than they are reusing the same set which happens to have this staircase at the back? I feel like I could make a drinking game out of it at this stage. Is there something obvious in the books that I don't remember (and I don't remember a lot...) or have they taken some thematic element and just gone a little OTT with it?

Is it just how they do stairs in that world?

that even the most mundane thing can fulfill the same function bu look differently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Yeah, sounds plausible. Just a way to highlight a subtle difference between worlds and the fact that Boreal has been moving between them for some time.

I think it's just to give visual flavour and character to Cittigazze, makes it feel very consistent within itself and like a different world to the other two we see.

Another brill episode, I'm wondering are they going to split Book 3 into more seasons? It's going to be difficult to wrap it all up in one more season, and the two kids are losing plausibility as prepubescents very quickly :pac:

2.5: Good episode. Felt like a needed connection episode to move things along.
    Didn't feel like Lyra or Will were going to get caught. Now Dr Malone coming to the spectre city, that's what feels a bit dangerous. I don't even think she's been told about them.

She was told she would be protected. Just not what she would be protected from.

2.7: Aha! Easy one! They must be
    about to crash land in the baloon next to Lyra.

I assume

A lot of talk about
    Asriel but no sign of him. He's hardly up some other mountain in this world trying to open a portal to yet another world maybe?
    She was told she would be protected. Just not what she would be protected from.

Must be. Maybe it's
    those Angels the witches mentioned. Looked like some invisible wings when she was down on the beach being watched by the 2 girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭corkie

Reminder on @19:10 instead of 20:10 Tonight.

• Advertisement

Short post credits scene.

I think they may have reworked that as a season finale as it felt like it.
    Not one but 2 big deaths. Was surprised to see even 1 of them go.
    How did Coulter find and catch up to them so fast. I assume the spectres knew where they were but getting there so quick?

Good episode and looking forward to the next season whenever that will be.
    His Dark Materials: The Overnight Growth Spurt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

I found it slightly disjointed. And definitely less engaging than the previous episode

I enjoyed that. And have enjoyed this season more than the first (The first, like the book, is mainly introducing characters).

I thought they adapted the books to TV very well. The changes they made made sense narratively: Introducing Will earlier, Mary's slightly quicker timeline. The extra scenes with Mrs. Coulter & Lee and Mrs. Coulter & Mary were fantastic additions. Mrs Coulter's envy of Mary's freedom. Knowing that, had she been born in our world she would have ruled it at this stage :)

Regarding the disjointed nature of this season. Yeah, I can understand that. There were many strands that needed to come together: Will/Lyra and the knife; Lee and Jopari (John Parry, geddit? :) ); Mrs Coulter; Charles Boreal; The witches Vs The Magesterium; The Magesterium itself; Mary.
    Assuming season 3 goes ahead, this will continue at the start of the season but strands to entwine. Depending on how closely they adapt the books, we are probably really only looking at one or 2 new characters.

Again, really really REALLY don't read below if you don't want to be spoiled. Readers only!!!

REALLY!!!
    I will still keep it as vague as possible. I believe Atal and her people will be entirely cut as it would be very difficult to do. I bet Mary's angel may tell her how to make the Amber Spyglass "You wish to see us? Here is how" type thing.

I also believe the spies will be cut.

While I really enjoyed both storylines/characters, things have to be cut for running time/budget contraints and simply because some things work out better on paper than on screen.

The Metatron will stay as you need a antagonist focal point.

I really can't wait to see The Harpies.

I can't wait to see non-reader's thoughts on "Well, if Roger's there then does that mean........Hell Yeah!"

And their reaction to the fact that that will be it. No Season 4. No possibility of changing the outcome.

Maybe put the answer in a spoiler for anyone who doesn't want to know the answer, but did season 2 cover the second book completely or for the most part? Like will season 3 be the third book?

Maybe put the answer in a spoiler for anyone who doesn't want to know the answer, but did season 2 cover the second book completely or for the most part? Like will season 3 be the third book?
    Can't remember exactly cause it's been so long but pretty much covered all of book 2

Can't imagine how they'll fit book 3 in one season, it's a much longer book than the first two

Well, I won't get into specifics but it pretty much ends where book 2 ends.

For those who haven't read the books, Will doesn't appear until the very start of the 2nd book but, had they done that, they would have had to cover a lot of time away from Lyra at the start of Season 2 so it made sense to introduce him earlier. (Chronologically it made sense to do it the way they did it on the series also)

But there was no real bleed through from book 3 into season 2 and season 2 pretty much ended where book 2 ended.

Slydice wrote: »
    2.7: Aha! Easy one!
    Gah! that should have been 2.6!

2.7: Good episode. I'm not sure if
    I've forgotten or if it's not been shown.. but I've no idea how she could've got Lyra away like that. Interesting to see what is happening with the post credits interaction with Roger. Yet another plain of existence I assume.

That scene at the end with
    Lee Scoresby and his Daemon Hester. A bit but not as much with Will's father. Might just be because he's not been in the show long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Felt like I was watching a game of thrones episode. Overall the season was better than the last but it is unfortunate they got rid of some of the best characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for a 3rd and final season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Renewed for a 3rd and final season.

I actually thought it already was.
    Great to hear they can finish it off.

However if it's only getting the green light now that means we're unlikely to have Series 3 for winter 2021. Could be looking at 2022.

Advertisement