Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus closed check-in desk early

Options
  • 25-02-2019 4:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

Flying from US to Dublin with Aer Lingus. Got to airport. Admittedly tight but still clearly within the prescribed cut-off point. When I got to desk the lady said "eh, let me check with my supervisor". Then came back to tell me that they had turned off the baggage belts and they wouldn't turn them back on. When I pointed out that it was not yet the cut off time, she just repeated that they can't restart the belts and that I had to call customer service. She then refused to give me her either her name or the number ofr customer service even though I asked politely. She left the desk and literally ran off down through the airport.

I asked her supervisor who told me to call customer service because they at the desk could not help me. It seems that just because they are at an Aer Lingus check in with Aer Lingus tags and Aer lingus screens, they are not really Aer Lingus staff and don't have access to the system. But at least she gave me the number for customer service.

So I rang customer service. To cut a long story short, after I eventually got through the long wait, she started off by telling me that I'd have to pay a 150 Euro missed departure fee to be put on the next flight, and ended about 80 minutes later after trying multiple options and having me on hold for a few periods of time, of 15-20 minutes, she told me that she could not change my flight and I had lost the value of the flight as it had already left. When I pointed out that there was actually still a few minutes before the scheduled departure she just told me that the only thing that she could do for me was a new one-way booking.

Are Lingus do not seem to have any contact emails. I had asked the customer service people a few times as I wanted to make sure that I establish a timestamp for my issues. But they did not provide one. When I got the chance, I filled out some "post travel form" on their website.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? It is really disappointing. Yes, in fairness I was perhaps cutting it fine but I was there before the stated cut-off. And I did not receive any explanation as to why they could not change me to another flight. The lady in customer service just said that she kept trying but the system would not let her and that her supervisor had tried too. I mean I was on the phone, mainly on hold, for about 80 minutes. With no explanation other than they were not able to do it.

Faced with this, I tried calling back later and talked to another rep. She commiserated with me and told me she was sorry but there was nothing that she could do as the flight was now gone. She also said that the first person should have been able to switch me and she could think of no reason why she could not. I told her that if she was not confident that I could get a quick response from AL, or that they would sort it out for me, that I would have to book with another airline as AL were quoting double the cheapest option.

Has anyone been in this, or similar situation before? Any advice? (Advice in the form of travelling back in time and arriving at the airport 100 hours in advance is not helpful)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Furasta

What time was the departure and what time did you arrive? US bound departures on most fights (Every fight except for the Ethiopian Air afaik) have to go through US customs and an additional security screening which usually can take 1-2 hours so even if the flight hadn't departed you most definitely would not have made it.

If you were there in time really they should be booking you on another flight, I have had some issues with Aer Lingus customer service in the past and sadly its just about calling back till you find someone that isn't usually talking out their ass/knows what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 DontFly AerLingus

Furasta wrote: »
    What time was the departure and what time did you arrive? US bound departures on most fights (Every fight except for the Ethiopian Air afaik) have to go through US customs and an additional security screening which usually can take 1-2 hours so even if the flight hadn't departed you most definitely would not have made it.

If you were there in time really they should be booking you on another flight, I have had some issues with Aer Lingus customer service in the past and sadly its just about calling back till you find someone that isn't usually talking out their ass/knows what to do.

Flight was from US to Dublin. Queues would not have been an issue. No customs or immigration to worry about before plane. I was there 80 mins before scheduled time. I wasn't even rushing as I thought I was grand for time. If I had rushed through the airport I could have been there prob 10 mins earlier.

As I was waiting on hold, person behind desk took down AL signs which were just covering another airline. My belief is that these were some kind of contractors rather than proper AL staff. I saw the lady who ran away from the desk just plonked down over in some chairs an hour later. She wasn't off getting onto the plane herself. Just waiting around for the end of her shift.

I have had the same experience with AL support recently. Each person you talk to tells you different, contradicting, information. Which was why I tried calling back again later. But the flight was definitely gone by that stage

Very disappointing. And expensive. Do I have any options regarding small claims court etc? I've never done anything like that before but I would happily try in this case if I don't get any joy. I am sure that they have some legal small print that they can do what they like if I'm not present to be checked in 5 hours beforehand or something like that.

The small mercy that I have is that I had to call them earlier that day to add a bag. I did that by credit card. I don't know whether a chargeback would be successful but I will happily try it. Again, I don't know how to go about it but I can try. I know that you can do them. At least if I got that back it would help defray the costs of the new ticket I had to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

So in simple terms

Which flight and exactly when did you reach the check in desk
    To/from North America 75 mins before departure

If you presented at the check in 76 minutes before the departure time you have a case under EC261 for denied boarding and EI owe you for the 'rerouting' i.e. the ticket you purchased and 600 per person for compensation

The airport staff have direct access so they could have checked you in on the system, they could have changed your ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The issue with "admittedly tight" is that on your watch it might have been 76 minutes and on theirs 75 minutes, and if you were going small claims or EC261 you'd basically have a fun time trying to prove it. Always, always, always minimum 2 hours before for TAL - why put yourself through the stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Shamrockj

It recommends being at the airport 3.5 hours before a transatlantic flight if you go on their website. I find it hard to believe you were in the right. If they were able to check you in they would..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

3.5 hrs?! the departing aircraft hasn't even arrived yet!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Stovepipe wrote: »

Well how else are airports and airlines meant to cover-up their gross inefficiencies?

Just dump the obligation on the paying customer, and take their money without providing a service if they object.

I really, really hate what the airline industry has become these days. And we're powerless to change it except by refusing to fly.

arubex wrote: »
    Well how else are airports and airlines meant to cover-up their gross inefficiencies?

Just dump the obligation on the paying customer, and take their money without providing a service if they object.

I really, really hate what the airline industry has become these days. And we're powerless to change it except by refusing to fly.

Well in terms of 3.5 hours, it can be that if you're in the tight window for TAL. Remember, you've to do security x2 and then wait in line for immigration, and you could conceivably get pulled aside for additional questioning then. Goodbye 3.5 hours. I had a colleague last year miss a flight over this, he was at the airport 3 hours beforehand and had to fly the next day.

It's the price of having USPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

85 mins before the flight is due to depart? The aircraft will nearly be getting boarded by then.

You were tight alright!

To all the geniuses going on about being there in 3.5 hours beforehand - thanks very much. It will be very helpful when I invent my time machine.

Airline cut off time is 75 minutes for regular class and 60 minutes for business. Advertised on their website. It does not say "Recommended time to arrive is 3.5 hours , check in closes 75 minutes beforehand, or whenever the f$ck the staff like". If 75 minutes is too short then they should change their check-in times.

None of the above affects the facts that:
    1) staff behind the desk could/would not help - only directing me to "customer service". Lady behind desk, refusing to give her name and running off is extremely unusual behaviour? No?
    2) Customer service initially told me that they would charge me 150 for "missed departure" then proceeded to talk to me and place me on hold for well over an hour without being able to successfully transfer me - at which point telling me the ticket value was "gone". How can someone, whose job it is to book tickets, need an hour of attempting to do something before realising she can't do it? And admitted her supervisor was trying too. Seems like some problem with their system or my original booking. Same lady genuinely tried to say to me, after an hour of trying, that in order to qualify for "missed departure" ticket scenario I'd have to have contacted them 3 hours before flight was due to take off to tell them I had missed the flight. Surely in her job of booking tickets, she or her supervisor might have come across a rebooking scenario previously? Seems common-sense if there was a rule that made it impossible to do so, that they wouldn't spend over an hour trying to do it?

My assumption is that there should be logs of when they switch off system etc. Given that this is the aviation forum I thought someone could say "yeah, when they close it down, they do X and then it's logged on Y etc.". If that is the case then I can just have the airline chaek and provide that evidence for me. I'll ask them for it because it won't show them shutting down after their 'stated time limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

To all the geniuses going on about being there in 3.5 hours beforehand - thanks very much. It will be very helpful when I invent my time machine.

Airline cut off time is 75 minutes for regular class and 60 minutes for business. Advertised on their website. It does not say "Recommended time to arrive is 3.5 hours , check in closes 75 minutes beforehand, or whenever the f$ck the staff like". If 75 minutes is too short then they should change their check-in times.

None of the above affects the facts that:
    1) staff behind the desk could/would not help - only directing me to "customer service". Lady behind desk, refusing to give her name and running off is extremely unusual behaviour? No?
    2) Customer service initially told me that they would charge me 150 for "missed departure" then proceeded to talk to me and place me on hold for well over an hour without being able to successfully transfer me - at which point telling me the ticket value was "gone". How can someone, whose job it is to book tickets, need an hour of attempting to do something before realising she can't do it? And admitted her supervisor was trying too. Seems like some problem with their system or my original booking. Same lady genuinely tried to say to me, after an hour of trying, that in order to qualify for "missed departure" ticket scenario I'd have to have contacted them 3 hours before flight was due to take off to tell them I had missed the flight. Surely in her job of booking tickets, she or her supervisor might have come across a rebooking scenario previously? Seems common-sense if there was a rule that made it impossible to do so, that they wouldn't spend over an hour trying to do it?

My assumption is that there should be logs of when they switch off system etc. Given that this is the aviation forum I thought someone could say "yeah, when they close it down, they do X and then it's logged on Y etc."

first off, registering for the specific reason of asking this question and then antagonising the locals with mention of geniuses and time machines is not going to endear you to getting help.

Q1: Do you have any proof of when you arrived?
    Q2: Did the agent interact with a computer or just tell you to feck off
    Q3: Was your call to CS still before the 75 minutes?
    Q4: Have you made an official complaint to Aer Lingus

If you can answer in the positive to Q1 and Q3 then you should just do Q4.
    Otherwise I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

At the end of the day, you arrived at the desk in advance of the cut-off. How close you left it is not really relevant ( yes, most would advise to give yourself more time but you followed the guidelines).

I get your issue and I’d be annoyed if also in the same boat, especially with what happened afterwards with the reps etc.

Saying that, it’s going to be difficult to prove it, the desk will just say you presented late, although if business only closes at 60 mins, I fail to see how “the belts were off”, unless their is some dedicated business class belt.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    At the end of the day, you arrived at the desk in advance of the cut-off. How close you left it is not really relevant ( yes, most would advise to give yourself more time but you followed the guidelines).

I get your issue and I’d be annoyed if also in the same boat, especially with what happened afterwards with the reps etc.

Saying that, it’s going to be difficult to prove it, the desk will just say you presented late, although if business only closes at 60 mins, I fail to see how “the belts were off”, unless their is some dedicated business class belt.

It seemed from what the first lady told me, that for some unspecified reason, the belts being turned off meant they they could not be turned on again.

They never took my details or tried to check on the computer. Only told me that they could not help me and gave me the impression that they did not have access to any system. Just said I had to call customer services.

Can I prove I was there at time X? Not unless the airport will hand over CCTV. Surely the airline will have logs of when their system was turned off?

There is no way to make a direct compliant. Only an ironically titled "post travel inquiry form" which I filled out and submitted last night. Can take up to 14 days for a response according to automated email I received.

What about the second part of my complaint? Their inability to transfer me to this "missed departure" status? I had never heard of this before. Is it a normal thing that if you had missed your flight/check-in that they would transfer you or is it an unusual thing which can be done as a courtesy?

I had a friend miss an international United flight due to an accident causing traffic on way to airport a few years ago. They didn't let her check in but just put her on the flight the next day. No additional charges. They didn't try to tell her that she could only be classed as missing her flight if she missed it three hours before it was due to take off

first off, registering for the specific reason of asking this question and then antagonising the locals with mention of geniuses and time machines is not going to endear you to getting help.
    With all due respect to yourself, what help are sneery comments that I should have arrived 3.5 hours before take off going to do to help? I anticipated a few of them so I explicitly said it in my original post.
    Q1: Do you have any proof of when you arrived?
    Q2: Did the agent interact with a computer or just tell you to feck off
    Q3: Was your call to CS still before the 75 minutes?
    Q4: Have you made an official complaint to Aer Lingus

If you can answer in the positive to Q1 and Q3 then you should just do Q4.
    Otherwise I'm not sure

A1: No. I don't know what constitutes proof
    A2. Basically told me to f-off and ring customer services
    A3. Don't think so as I had spent a few minutes at the desk at this stage. In any case, would be impossible to me to prove this. Was waiting for "next available agent" for at least 10-15 minutes anyway
    A4. Filled out post-travel inquiry form. That is what I was told to do

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Shamrockj

Stovepipe wrote: »

I have arrived at the time it suggests and I have never missed a flight. A European flight will land 40 minutes before a flight at an out station and you will be there before it lands what is the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Furasta

A1: No. I don't know what constitutes proof
    A2. Basically told me to f-off and ring customer services
    A3. Don't think so as I had spent a few minutes at the desk at this stage. In any case, would be impossible to me to prove this. Was waiting for "next available agent" for at least 10-15 minutes anyway
    A4. Filled out post-travel inquiry form. That is what I was told to do

You should have a time stamp on the call from your phone. Take a screenshot of it. Also you might have google location history if you have google maps installed.

If you have an android open google maps, hit the 3 lines in the top left for menu and go to Your Timeline. you should be able to go back to the day and it should show around what time you got to the airport.

As for the 3.5 hours junk that's only really for getting through Dublin, getting through on a US - Ireland flight is a lot faster, while 75 mins is extremely tight if that's when they shut off check in and you were there in time they should have accommodated you.

With all due respect to yourself, what help are sneery comments that I should have arrived 3.5 hours before take off going to do to help? I anticipated a few of them so I explicitly said it in my original post.

Plenty of people searching for answers find these threads and might find that info useful, I also don't think anyone is being sneery, I think you're being defensive. Sorry for your troubles.

Furasta wrote: »
    You should have a time stamp on the call from your phone. Take a screenshot of it. Also you might have google location history if you have google maps installed.

If you have an android open google maps, hit the 3 lines in the top left for menu and go to Your Timeline. you should be able to go back to the day and it should show around what time you got to the airport.

As for the 3.5 hours junk that's only really for getting through Dublin, getting through on a US - Ireland flight is a lot faster, while 75 mins is extremely tight if that's when they shut off check in and you were there in time they should have accommodated you.

Had a cheap burner phone for use in US. prepay dumb phone not a smart phone. Not sure what it would achieve anyway as they could claim I had the time set wrong on my phone. there was also a few minutes between arriving and getting the number for Customer Service. By that stage it would have been after the 75 minute window

(Check-in for business class is 60 minutes. I wasn't business class but still, there could potentially have been people coming.)

Their reason for not checking me in was not given as being past time. It was that they had turned off the belts. I suspect that the reason that the first lady refused to give me her name and literally ran away was because she knew she was in the wrong. I didn't lose temper or raise my voice to her. I am not stupid. You do not take any risk like that at an airport. I have never dealt with a "customer service" person before who refused to identify herself. She asked why I wanted to know it, I said in case customer service ask who I was dealing with at the desk and she refused to give it, pointed to her supervisor then literally ran away out the front of the desk. Not a Usain Bolt sprint, but a brisk walk. I saw her an hour later still sitting over in some chairs around the corner

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Plenty of people searching for answers find these threads and might find that info useful, I also don't think anyone is being sneery, I think you're being defensive. Sorry for your troubles.

I understand. But that information is useless to anyone in a similar predicament. It amounts to me asking "I am unfortunately already stuck in this situation, what can I do now?" and the response being given is "this is how you could have given yourself less of a chance of being in that situation". It doesn't help.

We can all safely assume with some degree of certainty that the check in was open at some stage and if I had been there at that time I would have likely been checked in along with other passengers. That isn't a revelation to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Wouldn’t be a bit surprised if they had given your seat to someone else at this point. They overbook long haul based on statistics and if too many people actually show up they just pay compensation to the unfortunate ones.
    The lady was probably not Aer Lingus and not familiar with passenger protection and compensation in the EU and just wanted to get out before a stranded traveller potentially got ratty with her.

I would not let this go. In my book you did everything right and left stranded. Presuming everything you say is accurate they owe you compensation.

Helpful comments about recommended arrival at check in is not helpful imo. Don’t care what’s recommended and what’s considered tight. If I arrive within the stated limit I arrive within the stated limit. Period.

• Advertisement

I understand. But that information is useless to anyone in a similar predicament. It amounts to me asking "I am unfortunately already stuck in this situation, what can I do now?" and the response being given is "this is how you could have given yourself less of a chance of being in that situation". It doesn't help.

We can all safely assume with some degree of certainty that the check in was open at some stage and if I had been there at that time I would have likely been checked in along with other passengers. That isn't a revelation to me.

Cool. Well anyway, sounds like you either got caught by cutting it too fine or someone screwed you over. Make a nuisance of yourself, hit them up on social media, drop google reviews of them and tripadvisor reviews, email it all to customer service and demand they either prove you were past the cutoff or that you are just worth fobbing off with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Honestly what do you want the outcome to be? Posting here isnt going to do **** all about the fact you missed your flight.
    Your username and attitude reminds me of a 14 year old girl tbh. If you want to get anybody here or in the airline to help you the best thing you can do is drop the attitude. Fact is you missed your flight because you left it fairly late to get to the airport and have no proof of what time you got there. Im sorry but its not looking good for you.
    Digging in here looking for somebody to give internet facts about when things are logged is laughable too.

Wouldn’t be a bit surprised if they had given your seat to someone else at this point. They overbook long haul based on statistics and if too many people actually show up they just pay compensation to the unfortunate ones.
    The lady was probably not Aer Lingus and not familiar with passenger protection and compensation in the EU and just wanted to get out before a stranded traveller potentially got ratty with her.

I would not let this go. In my book you did everything right and left stranded. Presuming everything you say is accurate they owe you compensation.

Helpful comments about recommended arrival at check in is not helpful imo. Don’t care what’s recommended and what’s considered tight. If I arrive within the stated limit I arrive within the stated limit. Period.

My assumption is that the flight was not overbooked. I do not know for certain but what I do know is that this was not my original flight. I had changed less than it 2 weeks ago. For some reason the Sat flight was completely booked out. But they told me that the Friday, Sunday and Monday ones were very empty. At least at that time. To give you an indication, after paying the 100 Euro change fee, plus the applicable fare difference, the total cost for the entire return flight was still well under 600 Euro. Unfortunately it appears it will turn out to be an expensive flight given that I've had to shell out a chunk for a replacement one-way flight.

It would be helpful to know if anyone has experience of this "missed departure" charge concept. The first I heard of it was from the customer service person on the phone. But then she wasn't able to re-book me. That has to be a fault of their system. either that or she was wrong and there is no such thing. I had been connected to her for over an hour by the time she told me that the valu of the original ticket was now gone

kona wrote: »
    Honestly what do you want the outcome to be? Posting here isnt going to do **** all about the fact you missed your flight.
    Your username and attitude reminds me of a 14 year old girl tbh. If you want to get anybody here or in the airline to help you the best thing you can do is drop the attitude. Fact is you missed your flight because you left it fairly late to get to the airport and have no proof of what time you got there. Im sorry but its not looking good for you.
    Digging in here looking for somebody to give internet facts about when things are logged is laughable too.

Yeah thanks.

If you don't know any answers then don't worry about it and don't post. I'm not asking you. You aren't that special that every post is looking for your infinite wisdom. I am sure that you could give lots of helpful suggestions for someone who is in this situation and simply wanting to find out what what their options are. Let me think of a few for you:
    1) I could have not travelled to the US. That would solve my current problem
    2) I could have booked with a different airline. That would solve my current problem
    3) I could invent a time machine to go back in time and warn myself to be at the airport 6 weeks in advance. That would solve my problem
    4) I could have jumped off a bridge last week. That would solve my current problem.
    5) I could have bought a gun and robbed a bank here last week and got arrested and sent to prison. That would solve my current problem

If you can't say anything helpful, then just don't bother saying anything. If you want to be in the discussion then fine. If not then find something else to follow. the only thing laughable is your attitude. Keyboard warrior posting on the internet trying to slag people just asking for information.

Information about when things are logged? Well, you see, mr genius, there might be people on here he worked in similar positions who could say "yeah, when you close check-in or 'stop the belts'you have to do X/Y/Z" Or maybe they'd say "well the person at the desk can arbitrarily stop it and there is no record kept". All would be useful information. And known by people who worked in that field. Just because you don't know it doesn't mean they won't.

There have been some helpful posts with useful information and I appreciate those

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

A missed departure fee is only for when you have actually checked in but missed the flight by not arriving to the gate. You would be classed as a check-in no show which is a new ticket purchase or if lucky enough accommodation onto the next flight free of charge if your reason for missing check-in was not your fault, as in late connection etc etc.
    The computer systems shut automatically with most airlines at the specified times, unless there is delays etc, then a supervisor/manager can over ride it to keep it open.
    Seen as you were in a US airport with no actual EI staff, just the handling agents they deal with, most likely the staff there would not have access to open the flight again, transfer you or book you onto another flight, this would all have to be done by Aer Lingus staff or a supervisor/manager of the handling agency contacting them from their CS desk on your behalf.

billie1b wrote: »
    A missed departure fee is only for when you have actually checked in but missed the flight by not arriving to the gate. You would be classed as a check-in no show which is a new ticket purchase or if lucky enough accommodation onto the next flight free of charge if your reason for missing check-in was not your fault, as in late connection etc etc.
    The computer systems shut automatically with most airlines at the specified times, unless there is delays etc, then a supervisor/manager can over ride it to keep it open.
    Seen as you were in a US airport with no actual EI staff, just the handling agents they deal with, most likely the staff there would not have access to open the flight again, transfer you or book you onto another flight, this would all have to be done by Aer Lingus staff or a supervisor/manager of the handling agency contacting them from their CS desk on your behalf.

This sounds plausible. Thank you very much.

When I talked to the CS lady first she told me that she could transfer me to the next flight for 150 euro or change to the flight the next day for 100 euro change fee plus fare difference. Put me on hold then and then said she couldn't do that as the next flight was a United code share but would put me on the equivalent flight the next day

It is disappointing if she wasted both an hour of her time and my time (and her supervisors time) in trying to do something that she should maybe have known was not possible.

From your description, it appears that once check-in closed, I had no option but to buy a new ticket. Would that be correct? You seem to know what you are talking about! Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You are asking for advice that may not be available on a public forum. The answer to your query may lay with Aer Lingus - with whom you seem to have made your own mind up about given how things turned out for you already.
    They may have had outside agents to deal with check in and if you were late, you were late. Just because you saw the same person you spoke with "run off and sit down" elsewhere is not your business, they could well have been entitled to a break. or had indeed finished their shift. They can't change the fact you were outside of the time allowed to board. Even if you don't agree with the reasons given to why they couldn't let you board. While it was obviously an expensive flight for you another thing to note is that we are hearing one side of the story - and likely never to hear the other side.

GBX wrote: »
    You are asking for advice that may not be available on a public forum. The answer to your query may lay with Aer Lingus - with whom you seem to have made your own mind up about given how things turned out for you already.
    They may have had outside agents to deal with check in and if you were late, you were late. Just because you saw the same person you spoke with "run off and sit down" elsewhere is not your business, they could well have been entitled to a break. or had indeed finished their shift. They can't change the fact you were outside of the time allowed to board. Even if you don't agree with the reasons given to why they couldn't let you board. While it was obviously an expensive flight for you another thing to note is that we are hearing one side of the story - and likely never to hear the other side.

Grand. But I'm not asking you to be the judge. I am asking that, given the assumption that all the things I am saying are true, does anyone have any advice or information? I could be making the whole story up. It's irrelevant. Any advice that someone on here might have is not legally binding and I am not going to sue you for giving it! If someone gives me information as to how to complain to AL directly, then that is great. Let AL worry about trying to claim XYZ. One does not need to hear "the other side" in order to give advice assuming my situation is as described

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

When I talked to the CS lady first she told me that she could transfer me to the next flight for 150 euro or change to the flight the next day for 100 euro change fee plus fare difference. Put me on hold then and then said she couldn't do that as the next flight was a United code share but would put me on the equivalent flight the next day

It is disappointing if she wasted both an hour of her time and my time (and her supervisors time) in trying to do something that she should maybe have known was not possible.

From your description, it appears that once check-in closed, I had no option but to buy a new ticket. Would that be correct? You seem to know what you are talking about! Thanks again

Unfortunately I can’t say or try to understand what the CS member was saying but to me it looks like she took it up that you missed the flight from the gate and was offering you the missed departure fee but then realised you weren’t actually check in on the flight so was trying to be nice/good in offering you a change over fee as the aircraft was still not pushed back (cheaper than a new ticket purchase) but then realised the code share problem she would have in doing that.
    Once check in is closed 99% of the time it is a new ticket purchase unless you can give a really good reason for missing the check-in time, line long queues, crash on the way to the airport etc etc but this would all be at the discretion of an actual EI rep and not the handling agents, the handling agents have strict rules to adhere too, too many delays or waivering of fees etc etc can result in their contract not being renewed by airlines in favour of another handling agent getting the contract, thats why out stations can be very strict when it comes to check in times, boarding times etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Well given Im a randomer on boards like yourself, yeah I dont fear being sued, so thanks for clearing that up for me. I was worried for a moment. :rolleyes:

Anyway, go direct to who you had your booking with
    https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/post-travel-enquiry/
    https://www.aerlingus.com/support/contact-us/#/tab-0-ireland

Advertisement