Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming machine upgrade

Options
  • 25-02-2019 12:01pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

My i5 2500k is showing its age (as is the 8GB of RAM) and so it'll be time to move up soon. I only really need to get a new CPU, Motherboard and RAM (oh, and a CPU Cooler too I reckon). I'm not fussy about Intel or AMD - it certainly seems like Ryzen chips are providing the best bang for buck right now. I'm sticking with my 970 card cause I've got a G-Sync monitor (that was a silly over indulgence I could have done without) and an nVidia Shield, so it won't be an all red system, but I'm from Mayo, so it seems fitting to have Green and Red :P

1. What is your budget?
    €400ish - it's negotiable though.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Gaming - all sorts.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    Hard Drives, PSU, GFX Card and case are all good so won't need them. I have 5 SATA hard disks

5. Do you need a monitor?
    No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    3 X 1080 monitors currently, no plans for upgrading.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    Nope

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    Yes

8. How can you pay?
    BLOOD! :D Bank Transfer and Debit Card

9. When are you purchasing?
    No rush

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    I can build it myself.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

https://www.csl-computer.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=15329&cPath=61_68

This from the bargain alerts thread is pretty great. Will need to source RAM separately.
    You'd also get away with an upgrade to an i7 3770K. 8GB is still plenty of RAM tbh. 16GB gives a little more room to breathe though.

Edit: Your alternative is to hold on for another few months and see if Zen2 changes anything.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That's a decent deal for sure. I hadn't realised the next gen of Ryzen's were due in a couple of months, so I'm happy enough to hold off until then and see what's what.

Advertisement