Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming a house snagger

• 25-02-2019 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a course you need to go on to be a snagger? I have qualifications in construction and work in the industry with my qualifications but just wondering if there is anything you need to be a snagger for competency purposes as silly as it sounds?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dave 27 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a course you need to go on to be a snagger? I have qualifications in construction and work in the industry with my qualifications but just wondering if there is anything you need to be a snagger for competency purposes as silly as it sounds?

No qualifications required. Anybody from your father in law, to a Chartered Engineer can snag a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dave 27

kceire wrote: »
    No qualifications required. Anybody from your father in law, to a Chartered Engineer can snag a house.

Are you able to work freelance at it without having to be part of a company? I would be pretty clued in regarding regs and what to look out for but at the same time find it quite strange that you dont need any particular "qualification of competency" at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

You need professional indemnity insurance to cover yourself for missing something major and the home-owner subsequently suing you.

The insurers will have their own requirements in order to cover you. That will be the limiter.

You need professional indemnity insurance to cover yourself for missing something major and the home-owner subsequently suing you.

The insurers will have their own requirements in order to cover you. That will be the limiter.

Thanks for the help, I see countless amounts of snag lists a year in my profession so just thinking it might be a good way to boost income.

What are the steps to creating this for insurance purposes and also tax purposes should I get a bit of income from it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Get on to a broker and explain what you want to do and tell them you want to get "professional indemnity insurance" to cover you. I've never heard of a person who only did snag lists so I'm not sure there will be a direct product for you. You might have to get PI insurance like an architectural technologist or similar.

Edited to say that I shouldn't be handing out tax advice because I'm definitely not an expert and I wouldn't want anyone basing their tax payments on anything I say!

• Advertisement

Get on to a broker and explain what you want to do and tell them you want to get "professional indemnity insurance" to cover you. I've never heard of a person who only did snag lists so I'm not sure there will be a direct product for you. You might have to get PI insurance like an architectural technologist or similar.

Perfect thanks for the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-registration/who-should-register-for-vat/what-are-the-vat-thresholds.aspx

Looks like you can take in €37.5k in any continuous 12 month period in turnover for services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

This is the nub of the issue here.
    The insurance will be based on your projected earnings initially.

Be very aware of the deductible.
    What happens is that guys take out say 3 million cover, not realising that they are liable for the first, maybe 250,000.
    That a lot of snagging, at maybe 25 euros an hour.

Ps you also should have PL

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

dave 27 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, I see countless amounts of snag lists a year in my profession so just thinking it might be a good way to boost income.

What are the steps to creating this for insurance purposes and also tax purposes should I get a bit of income from it?

I would only have loved there be someone who did this as a job, when moving into my house...

Hell I would still love one!

I would only have loved there be someone who did this as a job, when moving into my house...

Hell I would still love one!

There are 1000's of snaggers in the country, most are Registered Building Surveyors.

The first lines of a search for House Snag List are :

https://www.snaglistdublin.ie/

http://www.homesnag.ie/

Its not as if house snaggers have been hiding in the bushes :)

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    There are 1000's of snaggers in the country, most are Registered Building Surveyors.

The first lines of a search for House Snag List are :

https://www.snaglistdublin.ie/

http://www.homesnag.ie/

Its not as if house snaggers have been hiding in the bushes :)

I would have needed a Snagger/Corrector, it was not a new build (but a completely empty shell) so no hope of getting builders to correct based off a snag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I would have needed a Snagger/Corrector, it was not a new build (but a completely empty shell) so no hope of getting builders to correct based off a snag
    You use a snagger to help negotiate price. For example; if something is found that could cost €30k to fix, you try to have the price lowered by €30k.

the_syco wrote: »
    You use a snagger to help negotiate price. For example; if something is found that could cost €30k to fix, you try to have the price lowered by €30k.

Or you are buying a bank sale and get told where to jump and need to get someone willing to do several smaller jobs in a house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Be very aware of the deductible. What happens is that guys take out say 3 million cover, not realising that they are liable for the first, maybe 250,000. That a lot of snagging, at maybe 25 euros an hour.

Get outta town! No PI policy for that type of business description is going to have a 250k deductible. Most civil engineers wouldn't even be covering that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I was a snagger during the boom for one of the big construction companies, involved a lot of expanding foam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

liam7831 wrote: »
    I was a snagger during the boom for one of the big construction companies, involved a lot of expanding foam

Forgive the pun....but can you expand on this please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

the_syco wrote: »

Or you are buying a bank sale and get told where to jump and need to get someone willing to do several smaller jobs in a house

It's a handy man not a snagger you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Doop

Bit of confusion here I would suspect..

1 - Snagger/finisher ... works on behalf of contractor/developer... goes in completes snags tides up works maybe corrects snags listed by end purchaser (below).

2 - Snagger.... works on behalf of purchaser.... goes in completes a 'snag list' ...hands over to client.

Doop wrote: »
    Bit of confusion here I would suspect..

1 - Snagger/finisher ... works on behalf of contractor/developer... goes in completes snags tides up works maybe corrects snags listed by end purchaser (below).

2 - Snagger.... works on behalf of purchaser.... goes in completes a 'snag list' ...hands over to client.

Correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

peteb2 wrote: »
    Get outta town! No PI policy for that type of business description is going to have a 250k deductible. Most civil engineers wouldn't even be covering that!!

My excess on PI insurance is about 1200 euro on any claim. Engineer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

peteb2 wrote: »

I was using it as an example to make sure he understood the issue.
    It was an issue during the crash where guys renewed insurance but kept upping the deductible, so the standard proof letter of cover was no use: you needed to see the full policy

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

A decent snagger would have a degree in building surveying at a minimum.

A decent snagger would have a degree in building surveying at a minimum.

I wouldn’t go that far. I’ve seen better staggers that worked as labours on site and I’ve seen mega qualified individuals miss a lot of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Who2

An old school carpenter who’s trained on the start to finish of a house is usually best suited in this situation, there’s an awful lot of surveyors out there that have little to no knowledge on the way things are done in real terms.

Advertisement