Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contents Insurance

Options
  • 25-02-2019 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I believe as a renter we can get Contents insurance?

mainly for a recently bought engagement ring but we also have the below

Mac
    iPad
    2 x High tier smart phones
    Ps4
    decent tv

any suggestions on the best places to go with?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Yes, you can (and absolutely should in most cases). However, you'll need to do a bit of shopping around and read policy terms carefully; expensive single items such as pieces of jewelry or very pricey electronics may not be fully covered or may require an additional coverage option (which will add to the premium cost). Don't rely on the agent's word as to the coverage if you're ringing them; read the actual policy documents carefully yourself to make sure you'll be covered.

Also, make sure you purchase sufficient coverage. I know you're mostly thinking of your high-value items and what they're worth, but you need to consider what it would cost to replace literally everything you own (clothes, linens, personal furnishings, artwork, kitchen goods, home decor items, and all your other personal effects) should something happen that results in a total loss. The coverage limit you purchase might also affect other limits on the policy; for instance, on mine the "high-value good" single item limit is 10% of my total coverage limit, so if you wanted to make sure a €5k ring would be covered, you'd need €50k of total coverage.

Generally if you don't own a lot of expensive furniture or other very costly items, you can probably find coverage for around €10-€15 a month easily enough. Just get some quotes from the major insurers and compare them. Be prepared to answer questions about your property, though, such as construction details and date of build.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

thank you very much

Advertisement