Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA492 diversion to Malaga. Video

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not sure if its a genuine video IMO. Could that be something from a fly by/air show?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭Rawr

(Looks at video)

Yeaaaaa.....very glad I wasn't on that plane :O

There's only the one runway at GIB (the one with the traffic lights to stop cars going across...as it also doubles as part of Gibraltar's Main Street). So I guess their options are pretty limited regarding approach etc...

Landed safely. Glad I wasnt on it and fair play to the pilots!

https://twitter.com/FlightAlerts_/status/1100034230292230145

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

GBX wrote: »
    Not sure if its a genuine video IMO. Could that be something from a fly by/air show?

From another eye witness on Twitter...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Can't wait to see tomorrow's Daily Mail Online and how they report this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

BA492 diversion to Malaga.
    This video on Twitter. Would Gibraltar Airport be common to serious wind issues affecting flights landing?

https://twitter.com/FlightAlerts_/status/1100006490256097280

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jgonBt1oa9Y

Satisfied yet it’s real ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Never seen an aircraft perform this way apart from that Tupolev TU-154 loss of control a few years back, the aircraft made similar dramatic swaying and rocking movements but landed safely.

I didn’t think this video was genuine at first but the view from the cabin is stomach churning!

• Advertisement

Satisfied yet it’s real ?

Yes obviously it's real. My doubt was based on if it was from a fly past / display where some pilots have been known to doff the wings .. obviously not normally done in regular flight. Not doubting it's real footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Super piloting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Never seen an aircraft perform this way apart from that Tupolev TU-154 loss of control a few years back, the aircraft made similar dramatic swaying and rocking movements but landed safely.

I didn’t think this video was genuine at first but the view from the cabin is stomach churning!

Surprised people kept their stuff together. Stoic British......

https://youtu.be/78ZDaQ0UYZg

Another view from inside the cabin. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ZDaQ0UYZg&feature=youtu.be

I'm no pilot but I've never seen crosswinds or wind shear do something like that before, there's a lot more going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

That’s the 3rd video I’ve seen from inside and people seem remarkably calm. Would it just have felt like sharp turns and looked a lot more violent than it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Looks like pilot induced oscillation.

Perhaps brought on by shearing wind and inexperience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Being discussed on LBC radio now. Passengers giving experience along with aviation experts.

So it happened.

Remind me wrote: »
    That’s the 3rd video I’ve seen from inside and people seem remarkably calm. Would it just have felt like sharp turns and looked a lot more violent than it was?

It definitely would have felt horrendous, that kind of movement is unnatural for a commercial aircraft and the closest thing any of those passengers and crew would have felt to it before is likely to have been at a theme park or funfair! 

The lack of panic is probably down to a wide range of factors, the so called stiff upper lip of the Brits, the fact the captain had already warned them it would be a bumpy approach and that we as a society are experienced and comfortable fliers; we put huge amounts of faith into flight crew and aircraft to the point where the idea of a flight going wrong, even when it appears so close to doing so is an alien concept to most of us. 

Pilot induced oscillation seems like a good call at this early stage, the initial upset appears to have been brought on by the winds but the exaggerated rolling of the wings which followed could have been the product of a pilot commanded overcorrection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I've been told the autopilot was in for the go around, which would rule out PIO, but I've nothing to verify this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It looks like overcorrection to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

I've been told the autopilot was in for the go around, which would rule out PIO, but I've nothing to verify this.

Well if the AP was still in, it's a lovely, if a bit over dramatic example of airbus static stability!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Very nervous sounding laughter in that last video

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Jaysus I woulda been screaming like a banshee, can't believe how calm they were

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

What amazes me is the persistence to hold the heading, surely the pilot would have been within their rights to alter heading on the grounds of safety, then look for an alternative flight plan from ATC?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

martyc5674 wrote: »
    What amazes me is the persistence to hold the heading, surely the pilot would have been within their rights to alter heading on the grounds of safety, then look for an alternative flight plan from ATC?...

Generally straight ahead in the go around is the best option, unless there's terrain in the way. You'll lose a bit of lift in a turn and as you're speed is low for approach, you don't want to risk getting near the stall speed by manoeuvring unnecessarily. In this specific scenario you'd be aware that the Rock of Gibraltar is the likely cause of the wind shear and you'll climb above it's effects in a very short time, as you can see in the videos.

Edit to add, go arounds are pre-prescribed tracks for a number of reasons (terrain avoidance, traffic avoidance etc.) so deviating from the planned go around track could introduce a host of other complications to an otherwise benign manoeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

There was a wasp in the cockpit! :D

Advertisement