Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secondary space heating

• 25-02-2019 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

If you have underfloor heating throughout is there any need for secondary space heating e.g. gas fire?

I understand a gas fire can be considered attractive but my query relates to practicality and requirement rather than desirability - hope that makes sense.

I am assuming UFH can be left on 24/7 (in heating season) and will maintain temperature base on room temperature sensors.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

moldy_sea wrote: »
    If you have underfloor heating throughout is there any need for secondary space heating e.g. gas fire?

I understand a gas fire can be considered attractive but my query relates to practicality and requirement rather than desirability - hope that makes sense.

I am assuming UFH can be left on 24/7 (in heating season) and will maintain temperature base on room temperature sensors.

I've a large open plan extension with UFH.
    We also have a gas stove with balanced flu (i.e. its sealed, and you dont need to vent the room, it takes air for combustion in through a pipe within the flu). I don't think we need it to be honest, but my missus does :)... Its great for the night time looks like a real log fire and whacks out some heat - good for when you want extra heat quickly.

That said, I can probably still set up the UFH to run more efficiently, leave it on lower for longer as you mention above...Its in a year - i haven't taken the time to look at it yet.

Summary: You probably don't need it... but it is nice to have.

Is it a new build? If its insulated/sealed properly you definitely wont need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

In any house built in the last 3-5 years* with UFH, and presumably a heat pump it's 100% not necessary for heating - it's purely for the aesthetic.

* Provided the house was built to current standards of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

In any house built in the last 3-5 years* with UFH, and presumably a heat pump it's 100% not necessary for heating - it's purely for the aesthetic.

* Provided the house was built to current standards of course!

I agree fully with this and just to add if you do go for a say stove for aesthetic reasons keep in mind the UFH (presuming it's on a thermostat) should already have the house up at around 20 degrees. If you put on a stove then it will start to overheat the room. A lot of people like a stove on for the atmosphere on christmas day but this is when you've the turkey in the oven and the cooker on for hours, TV on all day and everyone lounging around, etc. If you put on a large stove in a new well built house in these conditions you'll have to have the windows open to cool down.

Look at the output of the stove and for for a smaller one if its a very well insulated house.

Advertisement