Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW M140i... Get one?

• 25-02-2019 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, advice appreciated here.

I'm in the market for a high performance hatch, Ive had a drive of all the ones I fancy and have found myself really liking the M140i.

It ticks all the boxes for what I want. My question is: Anyone here have/ had one? What are they like to live with? Are they exploitable on a good back road or is the fear of lighting the back wheels up mid corner keep you driving gingerly?

I would spec mine with auto box (the manual was awful IMO) and non adaptive dampers. The shadow edition would be my preference. I think 3 door because I love pillarless doors.

I'm in England at the moment, so Irish pricing won't apply so much to me.

Is there any must have options?

Help very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Check out this guy if you want more honest insight: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjI3iMxVhyCcV85dkYPT_Ug

To me they really need to be manual and have adaptive dampers, the whole point is that they are an engaging driving car and being auto just makes no sense in that segment. Beyond that add an lsd which they are sorely lacking and they really are a fantastic machine (if a bit marmite on the looks front)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Timooo_23

Thanks for the speedy response, I have been following MarkCup70 since he had the fiesta, He's an anal man, but super informative! Its because of him I had a look at the Beemer.

The LSD has been said a lot alright.

The manual 'box really is awful though. It feels like a cheap nasty afterthought of a gearbox. The shift is rubbery. I can't really describe the feeling it gave me, like it was made of a light, easily breakable wood or something. I did drive the two back to back, found the auto suited the car way better. I am usually a manual enthusiast too, so that did surprise me.

As for the adaptive dampers, the manual one had them, I didn't find them anything special. A slight difference in ride comfort, I found the passive setup just fine. Even over the crappy roads here.

I drove the new Civic Type R the day before, that gearbox was sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

check out Joe Achilles too. He has had a few of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqH15TS5Jxo

I think they are nearly ending their life as a new 1 series will be coming in next year or so.
    A great car and relatively good value in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

I'm sure they are a great car to drive but they are fierce ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, check out Joe Achilles videos on YouTube... he's had a couple of them and he's now in an M2 Competition... he loves his fast BMW's ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The next generation 1 Series M will be 4wd as the regular 1 Series switches to the MINI fwd platform.

BTW I was only watching some of Joe Achilles' videos the other day. He is some man alright.

Thanks guys, Joe Achilles has some fairly comprehensive thoughts on the car alright. Are there many/ any about Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

Great value buying a year old in the UK, always seems to be a good stock of them on autotrader. A car I love for the banal looks - debadged they are quite the sleeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Timooo_23 wrote: »
    The manual 'box really is awful though. It feels like a cheap nasty afterthought of a gearbox. The shift is rubbery. I can't really describe the feeling it gave me, like it was made of a light, easily breakable wood or something. I did drive the two back to back, found the auto suited the car way better. I am usually a manual enthusiast too, so that did surprise me.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off the manual. Admittedly I haven't driven a 1er, let alone one with a manual gearbox, but I can tell you with the older BMWs, the manual is an awful lot nicer when the clutch delay valve is removed. They're hard to pull away smoothly and notchy between the gears with the clutch delay valve, but they're an absolute delight once it's removed, and it's a 10-15 minute job at a garage to do as well.

An automatic hot hatch just doesn't sit right with me although I have been in other BMWs with that automatic gearbox and it really is excellent.

Until I drove it, I’d have agreed, an auto hot hatch wouldn’t sit well with me either.

As for taking the valve out, I don’t think I’d want to mess around with a new car like that. It’s a prime excuse for bmw to deny any warranty claims. If it was an old car I’d love it, I have an older car to tinker with. I want a new car to drive every day, enjoy it and not worry if it will start, or think I need to improve parts of it. Part of the main reason to buy new.... along with wanting a shiny car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭squeekyduck

BMW have an offer on at the moment, if you buy an m sport 1 series they will upgrade it to the shadowline edition for free, its basically £27k before finance. One year olds are £24K for the same spec so not much in it.

I am going in to BMW tomorrow to see what discount I can get, I am looking to change my daily driver E39 M5.... still not 100% convinced, but hopefully I will get a test drive tomorrow.

I drove a Volvo V60 polestar today, fell in love straight away. Going to buy one, put a deposit down.

Thanks for all your advice guys. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

That the new model v60?
    What hp is the polestar?

Went for a 2015, has the old 6cyl turbo. 350ps. Huge torque.

Not the new shape, but I think it still looks fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

BMW have an offer on at the moment, if you buy an m sport 1 series they will upgrade it to the shadowline edition for free, its basically £27k before finance. One year olds are £24K for the same spec so not much in it.

I am going in to BMW tomorrow to see what discount I can get, I am looking to change my daily driver E39 M5.... still not 100% convinced, but hopefully I will get a test drive tomorrow.

How much are they here, I’m guessing 60k?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

Went for a 2015, has the old 6cyl turbo. 350ps. Huge torque.

Not the new shape, but I think it still looks fresh.

Oh you lucky so and so! They are class. I'd love one but unfortunately they are in the top tax band here.

They are here too, but that’s £530 not €2400!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Thanks guys, Joe Achilles has some fairly comprehensive thoughts on the car alright. Are there many/ any about Ireland?

There's one for sale on Carzone at the moment.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/1-series/used-2018-181-bmw-1-series-m140i-5dr-dublin-fpa-201902084739691

Interestingly as I've gone to get the link for it, I've noticed there's a M135i for sale too.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/1-series/used-2016-161-bmw-1-series-m-135i-dublin-fpa-201902245258708

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

MTBD wrote: »
    Oh you lucky so and so! They are class. I'd love one but unfortunately they are in the top tax band here.
    They are here too, but that’s £530 not €2400!

If an M4 is only €1,200 (yes, only) then there's not a hope the M140i is €2,400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If an M4 is only €1,200 (yes, only) then there's not a hope the M140i is €2,400.

He's referring to the Volvo V60 Polestar the OP bought, it's 237g/km on emissions so in the top tax band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

He's referring to the Volvo V60 Polestar the OP bought, it's 237g/km on emissions so in the top tax band.

Oops....didn't see that :o

Advertisement