Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking a fixed term lease

Options
  • 25-02-2019 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

In 3 months, I am likely to be relocating for a new job but this will require breaking a 12 month fixed term lease I have with a letting agent (vs a landlord directly). The current contract does not mention a break clause and I will have been living at the property 7 months at that point (moved in late Nov 2018).

At this point I have not said anything to the letting agent, just in case the job falls through but I am looking for any advice for exiting the contract without losing the rather large deposit.

Many thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You can ask to assign the lease to another party.
    If the landlord refuses to allow you assign the lease to a suitable party- you are free to break the fixed term lease- you are however liable for any reasonable costs the landlord incurs in retenanting the property.

Advertisement