Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is machine goosed?

Options
  • 25-02-2019 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭

Neighbours desktop shutdown while he was using it and continued to that after a few more starts so he asked me to look at it.

Every vent on the entire machine was completely blocked with heavy dust. When I opened it the fans were full of dust also.

I started the machine and just had enough time to check processor Temps before it shut down. The 4 cores were at 98c.

I cleaned out the vents and fans.
    Cleaned & re-pasted the processor.

Restarted the machine but it hangs on the Win 7 logo and will not go any further.

Tried Safe Mode but it hangs on Classpnp.sys & goes no further.

Tried a Windows repair but that just crashed too.

Removed the hard drive and stuck in a newly formatted HDD and attempted to do a clean install using both a CD & USB, the machine boots from both but as Windows is starting the initial setup it just blue screens.

The machine runs without shutting down but I can do nothing else with it.

BIOS is accessible and seems fine.

Would it be a case that the processor is fried or the Mobo is damaged or both?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What is the CPU temp in bios?

Even with no fans working it should still take a bit of time for it to get so hot.
    Maybe the heatsink has come loose and is not seated correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

tuxy wrote: »
    What is the CPU temp in bios?

Even with no fans working it should still take a bit of time for it to get so hot.
    Maybe the heatsink has come loose and is not seated correctly.

I re-pasted the processor and the cooler is correctly fitted.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Would it be a case that the processor is fried or the Mobo is damaged or both?
    Potentially, process of elimination would tell.

...in a newly formatted HDD...
    Same HDD? Worth trying different disk.

Potentially, process of elimination would tell.

Same HDD? Worth trying different disk.

Tried with the existing HDD containing a Win 7 install (original disk) and a totally different disk cleanly formatted, the result was the same with both so that eliminates the disk.

Spare processor for testing?

• Advertisement

Spare processor for testing?

Unfortunately not.

What is it (I/A) , model? Compatible MoBo around?

Coming from point that BIOS is OK and you tested other - you need CPU test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Can you run a Linux distro off a usb key? Maybe try a different sata port if it's failing at the install

What is it (I/A) , model? Compatible MoBo around?

Coming from point that BIOS is OK and you tested other - you need CPU test

It's an old Foxconn board with Intel Q8300 LGA 775.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Pull out one stick of ram and try starting it up.

If it hangs in the same place replace that stick and pull out the other one and try starting

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    Pull out one stick of ram and try starting it up.

If it hangs in the same place replace that stick and pull out the other one and try starting

Sorry, I should have mentioned in OP. I did try the ram as individual sticks in each socket too, even tried with RAM from another machine but made no difference.

Time for new build ?
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8300 -Product Collection Legacy Intel® Core™ Processors - Launch Date Q4'08

You(customer) can pay for replacement or testing under €20 if stubborn to keep machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

50 buys a working machine. Whats your time worth?

beauf wrote: »
    50 buys a working machine. Whats your time worth?
    Guess rate could be "good neighbors" or "pint"

Advertisement