Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settings problem when adding eircom.net email to Outlook 2016

• 25-02-2019 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series. OS Windows 10.

Cannot add my smar....@eircom.net  email account to Microsoft Outlook (2016). I went to Microsoft support and after an hour on phone and running many tests  they concluded the problem was with eircom (Eir).

The problem was connecting to the Outgoing server. 
    The Error Message: 
     'We could not connect to the Outgoing (SMTP) server using the specified encryption method, try again'.   I was using SSL/TLS. I tried all the alternatives (none, auto and STARTLS), but nothing worked. 

I also got the error message 'None of the authentication methods supported by Outlook are supported by your server'. This led the Microsoft support agent to say the problem was with Eircom.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Is Eir your ISP?

If not, you can't send email via their servers. 

• Registered Users Posts: 16 EamonX11

Thanks for replying. I am not sure about answering your question through ignorance. I am a pensioner and not very tech-wise.

I have had an eircom.net email address for several years now, since before eircom became Eir.

I am dependent on local Wi-Fi for my internet. Is it they who are the servers for my email?  if so, I should find out who they are. 

Yes you will need to use your local WiFi / ISP’s email server for outgoing email.

Incoming is the Europa server as that’s where your email is stored.

Using outlook you will be sending email from your computer, using your eir address but it will be going via the local WiFi/ISP’s server.

Who supplies the local WiFi?

Yes you will need to use your local WiFi / ISP’s email server for outgoing email.

Incoming is the Eir server as that’s where your email is stored.

Using outlook you will be sending email from your computer, using your eir address but it will be going via the local WiFi/ISP’s server.

Who supplies the local WiFi?

I am not sure, but can make enquiries and will find out. I will let you know what comes up. 

• Advertisement

My ISP is Eircom

My ISP is Eircom

Outgoing server then is mail1.eircom.net - no authentication needed.

Rackstar wrote: »

I have it sorted. I was using mail1.eircom.net but what was wrong was the user name. I corrected this and lo and behold. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. After you verified I was using the right server I knew it had to be something else. And found it. Grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eir: Grainne

EamonX11 wrote: »
    Rackstar wrote: »

I have it sorted. I was using mail1.eircom.net but what was wrong was the user name. I corrected this and lo and behold. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. After you verified I was using the right server I knew it had to be something else. And found it. Grateful.
    Hi EamonX11,

Thanks for letting us know you got this resolved. 

Grainne

• Advertisement
Advertisement