Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel Power Query

Options
  • 25-02-2019 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭

Working in a large company where there is multiple teams. Each team was producing their own version of a report and we were trying to standardise for one report. Down to the two best. One uses power query to gather data and the other is straight old school VBA copy in files. The question is has anyone used power query? I'm unfamiliar with it, so just for an idea if this is a must know part of excel going forward. What does it replace/improve?

..just an aside. I know I can Google this and have but im just wondering what people's experiences are.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29696131/difference-between-powerpivot-powerquery-and-powerbi
    https://chandoo.org/wp/what-is-power-bi-power-query-and-power-pivot/

I think it would a good idea to learn all of it, vba, power query, power pivot and power BI. its a skillset/toolset that is very useful to have. It not an either or situation.
    At least have an understanding of each, you don't have to be an expert.

I've used VBA a lot, and its very powerful, I've written substantial applications in it. VBA gets out of hand quickly especially if its not a programmer/developer writing it.
    There is a time when VBA is the best tool for the job and there are times it isn't. VBA has fallen favour with developers, but I think its under appreciated by most.

The other side is look at the target audience. Do you want analysts to be learning how to transform data, programme, or analyse the data and the business. Define roles.

Advertisement